Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Rellik

Ping Li

I am tying the knot with my girlfriend soon ..

Wedding in 2 months time.

Her mum has requested for a few tables and now the only question left is .. how much should i be giving her for the ping li? is this solely the groom's responsibility?

Would you care to share your experience with me?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

This is where you need your fiance's help. Ask her to check with her mother discreetly. No answer from here is going to help you "get it right". What is too much, too little, just right in our perspective... may just not be right with your future mother in law.

Her mum has requested for a few tables and now the only question left is .. how much should i be giving her for the ping li? is this solely the groom's responsibility?

Btw, Ping li is wedding gifts, which consist of the following:

- wedding cakes,

- two bottles of brandy,

- even numbered of tangerines or oranges,

- peanut candies for a teochew bride and rice candies for a hokkien bride,

- at least six tins of canned pork legs or a whole roast pig for cantonese bride,

- betrothal jewellery from the groom’s parents to the bride aka 'Si Dian Jin'

Another thing will be Ping Jin (bride's dowry), which is the angbao to be given to bride's parents.

These stuffs should be discussed with bride's parents. Bride's parents will gives a rough idea how much they want. By right groom side (either groom parents or groom) responsibility. Nowadays, young couples will settle all these themselves.

The above stuffs are to be given during Guo Da Li. It is just a rough guide. Impt thing is cater the needs to your FIL.

Like mine, my parents find brandy/martel no use. They dont drink. We decide to change few bottles of red wines for them.

Hopes this helps.

:notti:

Edited by xinyi_reiko

I hope your wife not cantonese.

whole pig costs hundred plus. lol

martell get from DFS.

If taking tables, then the Ping Jin = Dowry, is normally not taken into context. 4 dian jin also. but that depends also on your in-laws.

what chunky said is right, tell your wife to ask discreetly.

I hope your wife not cantonese.

whole pig costs hundred plus. lol

martell get from DFS.

If taking tables, then the Ping Jin = Dowry, is normally not taken into context. 4 dian jin also. but that depends also on your in-laws.

what chunky said is right, tell your wife to ask discreetly.

Actually for me, as my parents don't drink liquor, they requested to be subsituted with 2 bottle of yomeishu...more practical cos my dad drinks it...but these need to be exchanged with orange juice from bride's side....duno what it is for...

Actually for me, as my parents don't drink liquor, they requested to be subsituted with 2 bottle of yomeishu...more practical cos my dad drinks it...but these need to be exchanged with orange juice from bride's side....duno what it is for...

My grandmum in law is nearing 80 and she just complained that so and so's GDL used orange juice x 2 bottles and was quite pissy about it. I quickly shot off my mouth and said of course we wouldn't be so cheapo.. then she said red wines also cannot.. :)

in the end i said of course "We'll be using Martell. Nothing less."

She said "Mar-Tell" .... Smiled and Nodded.

*shake head* GDL also want "branded"

Chunky..

From what I've known about your mum. I'll be surprised if the 2xbottles she didn't press for Cordon Bleu :P

My mum is not Cantonese (Hokkein), and she asked for a whole roast pig. LOL!

My mum also wanted roast pig. we are hakka.. she say is a tradition to have roast pig for hakka.. 8|

anyway, we agree to give liao...

My mum also wanted roast pig. we are hakka.. she say is a tradition to have roast pig for hakka.. 8|

anyway, we agree to give liao...

Xinyi, it just occurred to me... lol.. seems like hakka tradition also roast pig.. cantonese also..

now i hear fujian also ask for roast pig. ha ha ha..

Sorry All .. think I was too vague . . .

What I meant was the Ping Jing.

Kindly share your experience. Thank you.

The advice given still applies. For example. In laws don't want Ping Jing because they feel that its like "selling" daughter. I ask them tables one how many. they say 8. so that amount i will forego and its like a Ping Jing in effect. Understand?

if Ping Jing = $2888 or 999 table x 10 = $9999 ... it really depends on the bride's family. Some are admandant abt Ping Jing.. but no need give table.

Some need Ping Jing and also want tables.

4 dian jin depends. My grandmother in-law know that i'm forking out quite a bit so she say the 4 dian jin.. have also ok.. don't have also ok.

in the end you need to discuss with your wife and also the brides family.

if you find difficulty expressing, then ask your wife to ask discreetly as mentioned in her post.

Agree with Phantom. It is good to discuss with bride's family. dont just assume and make guessing. If bride's family asking for high price, you may want to tell them your difficulties. I am sure they understands. :)

Like me, I just openly mention infront of my parents and my hubby. I am quite surprised that my mum doesnt want much. She doesnt want to take any tables, angbaos collected to be given us back. Even pin jing also a very small amt, just for a token sake. But she wanted Xi bing and roast pig, so we agree to give her.

Agree with Phantom. It is good to discuss with bride's family. dont just assume and make guessing. If bride's family asking for high price, you may want to tell them your difficulties. I am sure they understands. :)

Like me, I just openly mention infront of my parents and my hubby. I am quite surprised that my mum doesnt want much. She doesnt want to take any tables, angbaos collected to be given us back. Even pin jing also a very small amt, just for a token sake. But she wanted Xi bing and roast pig, so we agree to give her.

Yeah my In Laws want Xi Bing also. then also want roast pig

lucky never ask for dowry / 4 dian jin.. if not i think I maybe marry another girl liao.

:deal:

me hokkien. but i dunno why hb also buy? ****..wasted the $...and the poor piggy. :bangwall:

wah lao.. heh heh heh... didn't know you so into humanitarian efforts..

Yeah my In Laws want Xi Bing also. then also want roast pig

lucky never ask for dowry / 4 dian jin.. if not i think I maybe marry another girl liao.

:bangwall:

so bad of u to say that! 8|

for my parents, they simplified everything into ang baos :)

both our families are hokkiens...

for hokkiens, need to have the pig trotters i tink. my mum said we dun eat dat (either canned or fresh) so simplified into ang baos

martell, my parents dun drink too so they simplified into ang baos oso :lol:

but i tink my inlaws gave them 1 bottle, which we used it for our dinner :lol:

all simplified versions :deal:

for ping jin, my mum only kept a small part of it and return the rest to my inlaws. my inlaws gave my parents 10 tables but my parents returned the $ to us oso and hubby and i returned the $ to my inlaws.

hokkiens got no si dian jing but they got the pair of bangles.