Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
KOMAS7878

Cement Sand Screed Flooring

Hi,

I desperately need some advice on this.

Recently, I'm having renovation work for my house, and I had chose to have cement sand screed for my living room. My ID told me not to have Epoxy finishing, cos it will looks 'patchy' after some time, instead, he will be painting it over with lacquar to get that 'gloss' and smooth effect.

As, its my first time being a home owner and going through this renovation work, i have no idea about it.

Is there anyone who's having cement screed for flooring? I have a few questions;

1. Normally, what is the kind of finishing for cement sand screed? *my ID got 2 workers to my place and use sand paper to 'sand' the cement sand screed*

2. Will those pple from 'marble polishing' work be able to do polishing on cement sand screed to give a 'smooth' and 'semi-gloss' flooring?

3. The floor is always 'powder' and dusty no matter how i try to clean and sweep it, is it normal?

Any kind soul out there, pls advise. Many thanks!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

so has the ID paint it with "lacquer"?

my old house we didnt do anything to floor - yes cement only.

after living in the house for years - places that we walk often automatically became smooth but when we shift the location of furnitures - only then we found rough surfaces.

so has the ID paint it with "lacquer"?

my old house we didnt do anything to floor - yes cement only.

after living in the house for years - places that we walk often automatically became smooth but when we shift the location of furnitures - only then we found rough surfaces.

The ID has yet to paint with lacquar. I have not confirm with him yet, cos it sounds so weird, isnt it?

The ID has yet to paint with lacquar. I have not confirm with him yet, cos it sounds so weird, isnt it?

yupz....never heard of. lacquering cement? :jawdrop:

I actually been to a house with oldies theme - floor is cement screeding. very nostalgic. - when walking on it felt like got tiny bits of sand but actually there ISNT!:jawdrop:.

Hi just curious, why do u do cement screed? U like the look & feel? Few people do that. I believe u don't do it for costs, bec the last time i enquired about epoxy painting, it is the same price as laying, except that hacking costs is saved. For yours, cost of screeding plus laquer painting should be equal to cost of relaying tiles.

Hi just curious, why do u do cement screed? U like the look & feel? Few people do that. I believe u don't do it for costs, bec the last time i enquired about epoxy painting, it is the same price as laying, except that hacking costs is saved. For yours, cost of screeding plus laquer painting should be equal to cost of relaying tiles.

In fact, there's a mix of timber teak and cement screed with metal inlays. But the floor area for the sand screed isnt big. Its about a normal bedroom size. I was promised by my ID that the effect will be smooth and a bit of gloss. And that cost me almost 1k for it. Im so worried now, so i need advise here... :jawdrop:

Will machine polish helps, instead of using sand paper? i never heard of that really...

Your 1k include painting or not? Your situation is very cheem, timber+ teak + cement. I hope u get replies, i believe few people do this.

In my quote, there's isnt any painting inclusive.

Well,... it may sound cheem, but not really ar. The timber strips will be on the walkway.

I'm thinking of getting those pple that do marble polishing to polish it. Just wondering if it works...

Thinking of doing the same for the kitchen and maybe the living room as well. Since most here do not recommend epoxy, then i'm wondering what else can be done. I've seen some restaurants doing cement screed with color and it sure looks good.

Can we paint the floor instead? If can, easier to change colors too.

love the cement screed look as it is

cool grey, without grout line

what more can a person ask for?

used to live in a place where the floor is cement screeded and painted

the paint started flaking so everytime i sit or lie on the floor, will have paint specks all over me :(

Hi,

I desperately need some advice on this.

Recently, I'm having renovation work for my house, and I had chose to have cement sand screed for my living room. My ID told me not to have Epoxy finishing, cos it will looks 'patchy' after some time, instead, he will be painting it over with lacquar to get that 'gloss' and smooth effect.

As, its my first time being a home owner and going through this renovation work, i have no idea about it.

Is there anyone who's having cement screed for flooring? I have a few questions;

1. Normally, what is the kind of finishing for cement sand screed? *my ID got 2 workers to my place and use sand paper to 'sand' the cement sand screed*

2. Will those pple from 'marble polishing' work be able to do polishing on cement sand screed to give a 'smooth' and 'semi-gloss' flooring?

3. The floor is always 'powder' and dusty no matter how i try to clean and sweep it, is it normal?

Any kind soul out there, pls advise. Many thanks!

I had concrete screed walls for my kitchen. My ID applied a layer of clear epoxy over it and the entire wall became even more dull in color and all the cracks, lines, flaws, defects became very obvious. Made the entire wall so ugly. I was so pissed that I made them redo the whole wall. So they have to hack everything off the surface and redo the screed. After that, much better. And it does feel powedery everytime you touch it. But that's exactly what I want to feel.

I had concrete screed walls for my kitchen. My ID applied a layer of clear epoxy over it and the entire wall became even more dull in color and all the cracks, lines, flaws, defects became very obvious. Made the entire wall so ugly. I was so pissed that I made them redo the whole wall. So they have to hack everything off the surface and redo the screed. After that, much better. And it does feel powedery everytime you touch it. But that's exactly what I want to feel.

So you didnt have any finishing for your new screed?

Hey Eng98, i want to ask u, based on what u have experienced, if i cement screed the kitchen wall, and then ICI paint it (not epoxy), just cement screed without plastering, will it look OK? Or still look morpeng? Contractor now give me a choice, if i want to plaster in addition to cement screed, another $200. Is it worth to pay $200 to get the extra smoothness?

Hey Eng98, i want to ask u, based on what u have experienced, if i cement screed the kitchen wall, and then ICI paint it (not epoxy), just cement screed without plastering, will it look OK? Or still look morpeng? Contractor now give me a choice, if i want to plaster in addition to cement screed, another $200. Is it worth to pay $200 to get the extra smoothness?

I am not too exprienced to advise on what you should do. But I can share with you what i did. I found some pictures of exactly the effect I wanted and showed them to my ID and he did accordingly. You can try asking your contractor to show you how the effect will look like before you commit. I think that is the best because for this type of finish, the expectation of everyone varies. Initially i thought my ID got what I wanted, but in the end, it turned out differently. Picture or the best a past work will be the best.

I wanted to post a picture of my toilet, but don't know. I don't really want to use thos picture posting site. Can anyone advise how to cut and paste on my post?