Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
h4happy

'kai Men' - On The Very First Day Before Renovation

my mum said usually the contractor will clean for us

is there a difference between the ceremony for 'initial open door' and 'tong du'?

We did a simple ceremony for first time open door. Soon HDB will come to do rectification and concurrently we will start our renovation. THinking of choosing a weekend and just do some simple praying.

Is the ceremony similar?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi Master MACE

Sorry that I cannot read chinese (wu gu)...can translate into english?

Hi TEO

Open Door and Tong Du is different.

Open door is the very first time owner open the main door.

Tong Du is fo the very first time contractor gonna start renovation, for safety, for smooth work, for incident free.

You said simple praying? What you do? Chanting?

HAPPY

Edited by h4happy

no chanting.

We just burn incense and paper at the door step and pray for good things. Pin Pin An An only.

After that, enter the room and roll pineapple.

Hi TEO

Oh...you mean burn incense paper at the door step and then go in?

Need any joss stick to pray pray first?

HAPPY

no chanting.

We just burn incense and paper at the door step and pray for good things. Pin Pin An An only.

After that, enter the room and roll pineapple.

oh, i never realise my typo.

we burn joss stick and incense paper outside the door. Say our name,bought this house and will be moving in. Than say a lot of good words like pin an lah, etc etc. After that, my HTB open the door and we had his baby nephew to do lion dance for us.

Haha, for the fun out of it coz he love lion dance. Than, he roll the pineapple all over the house.

Afer that, we leave the joss-stick, fa gao, fruits at the middle of the living room.

The next day, we went to clean the new house. Than was supposed to sprinkle rice and green bean at the 4 corners. But we didn't want to dirty it anymore. So we pour rice, green beans and golden coins in paper cups and place it at the 4 corners.

No special day was chosen. It was more for convenience. We collected our keys on Saturday and went to open after that. I read that even days will be good enough - saturday and it was on a 8th.

Hi Master MACE

Sorry that I cannot read chinese (wu gu)...can translate into english?

Hi TEO

Open Door and Tong Du is different.

Open door is the very first time owner open the main door.

Tong Du is fo the very first time contractor gonna start renovation, for safety, for smooth work, for incident free.

You said simple praying? What you do? Chanting?

HAPPY

can do Dongtu + open door at the same time.

just say EX Skew Me!:unsure:8|

Do i need to bring in alot of cash and belongings to signify abundance and wealth upon entering the house for the first time?

I think that is after your renovation is done and all the furnitures are in.

Do i need to bring in alot of cash and belongings to signify abundance and wealth upon entering the house for the first time?

Happy

Thanx for your reply!

Can you further advise me how many types of fruits and how many per type of fruit you brought along for offerings?

Do we need to wear new clothings?

Can you share with me the actual things you actually did for the Kai Men Day?

Hi LGG

Mine is simple.

Buy 2 pineapples (1 row to the house) while the other place in the middle.

Buy apples, oranges, bananas and wu ku (5 types of beans).

When open the door, just say something good good words.

Burn jost sticks, red candles and paper incense after sprinkle rice mix with salt all over the house.

Say something like: I am the owner, plse leave my unit. I will burn the paper for you.

Open all the windows.

Wait for a while before burn the incenses paper.

Remember do not let any strangers come in.

When all done, lock the door for 3 days with window open.

That is what I do.

Hope you understand.

Hmm...I also wear new cloths when open the door.

Happy

Thanx for your reply!

Can you further advise me how many types of fruits and how many per type of fruit you brought along for offerings?

Do we need to wear new clothings?

Can you share with me the actual things you actually did for the Kai Men Day?

Thanx Happy!

Can i ask a silly qn? you mention of burning incense paper, do you bring a empty tin to burn inside the house (living room)?

Oh yes..I bought one empty oil can from my neighbour who collect tins, paper, to sell. I just gave her 50cents. Then cut 3/4 open the top. Yes burn the incense paper in the middle of the living room just beside the fruits.

After 3 days, open the door and you may throw away the fruits and the tins. I did not bring home.

Remember the pineapple which row inside? Leave that alone until it is about time to start reno and after the tong tu. Bring the pineapple and leave it beside the door gate.

That is what I do....maybe different from other forumers.

Thanx Happy!

Can i ask a silly qn? you mention of burning incense paper, do you bring a empty tin to burn inside the house (living room)?

Oh yes..I bought one empty oil can from my neighbour who collect tins, paper, to sell. I just gave her 50cents. Then cut 3/4 open the top. Yes burn the incense paper in the middle of the living room just beside the fruits.

After 3 days, open the door and you may throw away the fruits and the tins. I did not bring home.

Remember the pineapple which row inside? Leave that alone until it is about time to start reno and after the tong tu. Bring the pineapple and leave it beside the door gate.

That is what I do....maybe different from other forumers.

Happy, do you know the reason why we must wait till 3 days later to open door again? to let lost tourist enough time to leave the house?

If for instance i open house on friday, can only open on Monday is it?

Hi LGG

I am not sure...read thru here saying cannnot open until the 3rd day with all windows open.

Can go in on monday since friday you open door.

HAPPPY

Happy, do you know the reason why we must wait till 3 days later to open door again? to let lost tourist enough time to leave the house?

If for instance i open house on friday, can only open on Monday is it?

Hi Everybody

I am sure everybody will go thru this eagerly.

After reading thru the topics, this is what I find.

Please advise what actual steps need to do.

My finding:

1) Find a auspicious date and time according to your baizi.

2) Only immediate families allow to go in. No outsiders.

3) After that, cannot enter for 3 days. eg) monday open door, wait until thur can open door??)

4) Things to bring:

a) 1 Pineapple (wan li) (to row into your house) say something good word like huat ah!!

b) 5 Red Apples or kum (ji xiang ru yi)

c) Grapes

d) Bananas

e) Fa Gao

f) Charcoal (wrap in red paper)

All put in the middle of the living room.

5) Salt and Rice (to sprinkle all over the house)

6) Burn Joss Stick and burn incense paper (middle of the house): for buddhist

My questions:

1) Is the above correct?

2) After 3 days, we open the door again and can bring all the fruits back home?

3) item 6 need to have 2 red wax candles?

4) Need to pray outside the main door?

Thanks everybody!!

HAPPY

no need to do all these lah..... i'm not been disrepectful but i dun see any point in doing all these.

first of all, there is no one standard procedures or rules to follow..... it shows something is not right and you can only depend on hearsay or the FS master. What if the FS master is a fake?

2nd, i have other friends who done so much of this stuff, but in the end, you know what happen?

1 friend kena retrenched and no work for 3-4 years, 1 friend lose business, force sell the flat, force sell 6 month old new car...... etc etc

i have seen it all...... all these stuff doesnt work. If you are good, you are good. If you are bad, nothing will turn you around.....

In fact, my friends who dun bother or never do such things, they are prospering much more than those who bother about such things.

So where's the logic of superstition?

Worst of all, the more you find out about such superstition, the more fear you bring upon yourself only.

Why do you want to live in fear??

Better not to know all these, and nothing will take control of your life.