Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
thesimfarm

Is It Acceptable For This Kind Of Workmanship?

Living room (colour a bit yellowish, but actual tiles are white homogenous tiles)

p2100105hl3.th.jpg

p2100107ag5.th.jpg

p2100108cg2.th.jpg

p2100109se8.th.jpg

Hi, would like everyone's comment, does your tiles workmanship appear to be like this? I do not want to make unnecessary fuss over this thing. Really appreciate it. Thanks in advanced. :notti:

Kitchen Tiles (the filling in between tiles not full, got holes, when you walk on the kitchen, can feel the edges of the tiles)

p2100111ug9.th.jpg

p2100110yn0.th.jpg

p2100112ml8.th.jpg

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I believe you are refering to the grouting.

it should not be like this.

tiles should be even and grouting without holes.

Unless yours is made by HDB and bo bian but nope nope, not nice.

U can either DIY with grout brought from the DIY shops or get your contractor/ID to do it.

I believe you are refering to the grouting.

it should not be like this.

tiles should be even and grouting without holes.

Unless yours is made by HDB and bo bian but nope nope, not nice.

U can either DIY with grout brought from the DIY shops or get your contractor/ID to do it.

No, mine's not HDB, is done by contractor.

I know i can DIY but it's like after paying for my reno, I still have to do it myself, and it's recent one, it's not few years later liao. sigh.... :unsure:

Thanks for the advice.

No, mine's not HDB, is done by contractor.

I know i can DIY but it's like after paying for my reno, I still have to do it myself, and it's recent one, it's not few years later liao. sigh.... 8|

Thanks for the advice.

den i think better to get them to rectify it liao :unsure:

If you want to know what is an acceptable level of workmanship, or to show your ID / contractor what is an acceptable standard of work, head to this post: Workmanship - Doors. You can see closeups of the work done.

I also intend to show in subsequent postings unacceptable workmanship, if and when they arise, as my renovation is still in progress. :bangwall:

P.S. If any forummer has any photos of workmanship (examples of good or unacceptable workmanship) they like to feature on my blog, they may send them to me by email. I shall use my discretion to decide if the submissions are appropriate or suitable. Thanks in advance !

hi,

jus had my re-sale flat renovated..

mine also like that..

i spent 43k for whole hse renovated but got alot of defects..

call the contractor, he say my standard very high.. apology for not able to meet my standard..

so angry u know.. :) !!

hi,

jus had my re-sale flat renovated..

mine also like that..

i spent 43k for whole hse renovated but got alot of defects..

call the contractor, he say my standard very high.. apology for not able to meet my standard..

so angry u know.. :bangwall::D

Sorry to hear of your unhappy experience; I can understand yr pain coz I cannot tolerate poor workmanship too.

I don't know if this will help: best way is "show and tell" on this forum, as a warning to other IDs/contractors that owners now have a platform to complain legally i.e. if you show pictures of the poor work done and identify the ID/contractor who did yr renovation, that is within yr rights and you are protected as long as you stick to "facts" and not insinuate or defame the ID in any way. Conversely, show pictures and praise if you are happy with the work done by the ID.

If yr contractor thinks his work meets the standard, let forumers be the judge: show pictures and name the contractor, and tell him he is on the forum. If he is honest he will realize the folly of short-changing his customers all the time. If he gets upset to be named that only proves his guilt.

Obviously this does nothing for yr renovation, but it is a legal way of getting back at the contractor who does shoddy work.

Take care, and be well.

Last week they just came & rectify my problem, seems like the reason are when they do the acid wash before handling over the house, the cleaner might use too much chemical, and therefore cause the erosion of the cement. Especially if u scrub it with hard brush, the cement will disappear more because it's already powdery form.

At least my contractor are helpful, he ask the tiler to come back to my place & retouch-up the whole place without any question ask (and I've already paid in full 1 month ago), so now it's swee swee again. So maybe u shld ask them to touch up your place again? If not, especially the toilets, dirts & dust particle like to stay inside sank in grout, who have to time & patience to use tooth brush to clean them every week.

If you want to know what is an acceptable level of workmanship, or to show your ID / contractor what is an acceptable standard of work, head to this post: Workmanship - Doors. You can see closeups of the work done.

I also intend to show in subsequent postings unacceptable workmanship, if and when they arise, as my renovation is still in progress. :bleah:

P.S. If any forummer has any photos of workmanship (examples of good or unacceptable workmanship) they like to feature on my blog, they may send them to me by email. I shall use my discretion to decide if the submissions are appropriate or suitable. Thanks in advance !

I saw the workmanship of your tilers, it is excellent and you are very lucky to have engage them.

To me, the flooring job is the most important and also the most worrying process during the renovation process. Once the tiling are completed it is quite hard to get the contractor to rectify problems like grouting gaps because I don't think the contractor will hack and redo everything again unlike carpentry work where is still a chance and hope to rectify those unsatisfied issue. Therefore, I feel that it is important to engage a good tiler to lessen the headaches during renovation.

I saw the workmanship of your tilers, it is excellent and you are very lucky to have engage them.

To me, the flooring job is the most important and also the most worrying process during the renovation process. Once the tiling are completed it is quite hard to get the contractor to rectify problems like grouting gaps because I don't think the contractor will hack and redo everything again unlike carpentry work where is still a chance and hope to rectify those unsatisfied issue. Therefore, I feel that it is important to engage a good tiler to lessen the headaches during renovation.

You're absolutely right, Tulips. We think alike. :)

Tiling work is probably the most important part of the entire renovation process, and the tiling quality (to me) will make or break the interior design.

So too are works related to the doors, windows and plumbing, because these interior elements have to be undertaken concurrently with the floor & wall tiling in order to produce a good & acceptable fit and finish.

For instance, my ID instructed the tiler not to complete the tiling of the wall area around the windows as those old iron windows in my flat have to be removed and new aluminum windows installed. It is difficult to remove old iron windows -- I've seen it -- brute force had to be used to hack off my old iron window frame. In the process pieces of concrete cracked and fell from the window ledge as well as from the perimeter of the window frame.

Hence it is necessary to wait until the new window is installed before finishing the wall area tiling around the new window frame. That explains why on my blog the photos show the windows not tiled yet -- I'm still waiting for the toilet / bathroom windows to be replaced, subject to HDB approval.

As to whether luck played a part in getting good tilers -- well, I have to point out I checked out several IDs' work first (and shortlisted 2) before signing the contract with the eventual choice. So there is a bit of work and due diligence involved.

However, even after seeing the work done at some project sites, I still harbored some reservation: would / could my ID get the same team of tilers (tilers always work together as a team) that produced the good work I saw?

My anxieties were laid to rest when the tilers started work, so perhaps luck did play a part after all :bleah::rofl:

Last week they just came & rectify my problem, seems like the reason are when they do the acid wash before handling over the house, the cleaner might use too much chemical, and therefore cause the erosion of the cement. Especially if u scrub it with hard brush, the cement will disappear more because it's already powdery form.

At least my contractor are helpful, he ask the tiler to come back to my place & retouch-up the whole place without any question ask (and I've already paid in full 1 month ago), so now it's swee swee again. So maybe u shld ask them to touch up your place again? If not, especially the toilets, dirts & dust particle like to stay inside sank in grout, who have to time & patience to use tooth brush to clean them every week.

hi,

how u manage to get them to do for u?

i ask my contractor to do again, he say canot.. he onli say gv me discount for the bad jobs done..

i told him i dun wan dis, jus ask ur workers to do touch up, but till now nvr reply me..

also, these few days, i found out so many defects, the laminate for wardrope abit pop out, kitchen top got stain cant removed.. sigh... call him he dun even ans my call, ask me to sms him..

do u think i shd go CASE n complain..?

hi old lady & thesimfarm,

Sorry to hear of your Bad experience... 8|

can kindly PM the contractor of yours? now In search of contractors.. Talk all the forums about the contractor so that everyone will be aware of. that company.. :notti: