Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kcang71

Overlay Laminated Floor On Existing Floor

Hi,

I would like to find out will HDB approve overlay of laminated flooring on the existing floor?

This is to save cost on hacking. Pls advise.

Thank you.

Rgds

Kcang71

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I'm also thinking about overlying laminated floor on the existing tiles. But my concern is whether is it good to do so. Cos when time past, the laminated floor will sounded hollow or even pop-out.

As for HDB approval, i thot should be fine?

Ya, i need to know too :notti:

I did that for my old house. No problem. BUT...you might make sure your existing tiles did not raise too high. As a rule, the bottom of the window and the floor should be at least 1m. The laminated floor will add a bit of height only, so not so bad if your current tiles are of correct standard height.

I sold my flat after 2 years and when I left, the floor are flawless....and I kinda miss it! Really love the laminated flooring and I did it for my whole house, bedrooms and living rooms. Very easy to maintain and don't have any problem with it.

After laying, for the initial WEEKS, you will still feel a bit hollow feeling as the flooring sets in, after a few weeks it will feel really good liao. I have not regrets. But my current place HDB just redo all the tiles, a bit wasted to put laminate again, but may consider after maybe 5 years.

But do check to ensure your tiles are in good condition, most of the time the worry is the tiles underneath got problem.

Hi,

I would like to find out will HDB approve overlay of laminated flooring on the existing floor?

This is to save cost on hacking. Pls advise.

Thank you.

Rgds

Kcang71

I dun think there is a problem. Overlaying for toilet tiles are more problematic, as the contractor needs to ensure that the water proofing is done ok in the previous layer.

Thanks for the advice!

So the hollow feeling is during the setting period?

How about maintaining? Like mopping the laminate floor will cause the pop-out in long run?

Can i know which brand of laminate flooring you've got for your flat last time?

i did this for my resale flat. the old flooring was not very old but the tiles were just **** fugly. 6 mths on, no problems yet but we had to cut the door and the gate a little bit to run the laminate all the way to the doorstep (bad decision IMO, gets wet there when TC washes the corridor) but it does make it look a bit nicer.

there really wouldnt be any need for a permit because there is no hacking involved

I did that for my old house. No problem. BUT...you might make sure your existing tiles did not raise too high. As a rule, the bottom of the window and the floor should be at least 1m. The laminated floor will add a bit of height only, so not so bad if your current tiles are of correct standard height.

I sold my flat after 2 years and when I left, the floor are flawless....and I kinda miss it! Really love the laminated flooring and I did it for my whole house, bedrooms and living rooms. Very easy to maintain and don't have any problem with it.

After laying, for the initial WEEKS, you will still feel a bit hollow feeling as the flooring sets in, after a few weeks it will feel really good liao. I have not regrets. But my current place HDB just redo all the tiles, a bit wasted to put laminate again, but may consider after maybe 5 years.

But do check to ensure your tiles are in good condition, most of the time the worry is the tiles underneath got problem.

what brand is your laminate?

Thanks for the advice!

So the hollow feeling is during the setting period?

How about maintaining? Like mopping the laminate floor will cause the pop-out in long run?

Can i know which brand of laminate flooring you've got for your flat last time?

I used Kronotex. There is only one floor cleaner I found for laminate, Sofix brand. One important thing is if got water must quickly wipe away, don't let it sip through.

The settling period the feeling don't know how to describe, coz they put a layer of thing in between, when walk got the 'clark clark' sound...after a few weeks ok liao. Hollow feeling? Hmm...so far so good leh when I still at my old place. Pop out? Hmm...don't think so leh...laminate, unlike parquet are very strong and scratch proof too (unless very very strong force).

I used Kronotex. There is only one floor cleaner I found for laminate, Sofix brand. One important thing is if got water must quickly wipe away, don't let it sip through.

The settling period the feeling don't know how to describe, coz they put a layer of thing in between, when walk got the 'clark clark' sound...after a few weeks ok liao. Hollow feeling? Hmm...so far so good leh when I still at my old place. Pop out? Hmm...don't think so leh...laminate, unlike parquet are very strong and scratch proof too (unless very very strong force).

Your Kronotex is under what series? The thickness?

Mine is under engineering series, 10mm thick with a absorber fabric underneath that helps to minimize the hollow feeling. Haven't laid yet so cannot tell is if that fabric really works.

Mine is under engineering series, 10mm thick with a absorber fabric underneath that helps to minimize the hollow feeling. Haven't laid yet so cannot tell is if that fabric really works.

Err...cannot remember leh...now also cannot check... :P Just remember forgot to pass the warranty card to the new owner. :P

hi vowsh. are you using the 'amazon'? i am laying on coming monday.

the previous owner of my apartment lay laminate over marble. he rented out the apartment and the tenant did not take care. there are many bubbles and even a few hole. i am not sure what is the brand he used, he got it from ikea so i suppose it is either kronotex or pergo.

other than this, i think there is no problem laying on existing flooring. i have been staying here for a year and the condition did not deteriorate. i think just be very careful with water. laminate floor is very scratch resistant though.

i will report back after i change to the amazon series.

cheers.

Thanks all for the great advise! Guess I will need to check the condition of the existing

tiles bcoz it's very old already ~30 years liao. If I were to choose hacking the floors, roughly

how much will it cost to hack 3 rooms + living room + kitchen?

Rgds

kcang71

hi vowsh. are you using the 'amazon'? i am laying on coming monday.

the previous owner of my apartment lay laminate over marble. he rented out the apartment and the tenant did not take care. there are many bubbles and even a few hole. i am not sure what is the brand he used, he got it from ikea so i suppose it is either kronotex or pergo.

other than this, i think there is no problem laying on existing flooring. i have been staying here for a year and the condition did not deteriorate. i think just be very careful with water. laminate floor is very scratch resistant though.

i will report back after i change to the amazon series.

cheers.

Attached is their website, mine is engineering flooring.

http://www.kronotex.com.sg/cms/ziel/31654/EN/index.htm.

Thanks all for the great advise! Guess I will need to check the condition of the existing

tiles bcoz it's very old already ~30 years liao. If I were to choose hacking the floors, roughly

how much will it cost to hack 3 rooms + living room + kitchen?

Rgds

kcang71

I don't think hacking the floor is expensive. A few hundred can do liao.

Mine was about 2 years back for 3 bedrooms and 1 living room. About $3300 using KRONOTEX. That time 1st time doing so also not sure got kena chop or not. :)