Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Junkay

Eat What?

actually, cooking at home can save leh. Plus cooking at home also allow us to decide what type of ingredients we want to use (usually we use better ones) as sometime stalls or restaurants uses some inferior ingredients eg soya sauce or ty MSG so one would tend to feel very thirsty throughout the night after a meal outside.

but of course, its not easy to rush back and cook during weekdays as most of us are dual income earners. If we compare the meals below and have something similar at home (though not that fantastic, either close one or two eyes), we can actually save.

For eg. 2 person go zhi cha stall eat

- 2 plates of rice ($1)

- a bowl of beancurb soup or seafood soup ($6) the prawns usually not fresh & they put salted veg, crab meat stick, beancurb very cheap nia

- a plate of kang kong or bean spouts ($6) a big pack of kang kong is so cheap yet selling at $6 onwards

- a plate of sweet n sour pork or prawn paste chicken wing ($8) can season chicken wings & pork the night before, also considered cheaper as a few pieces of wings already cost $8 onwards

Total $17(+-) estimated - NB: who can afford to eat such meals every single day? pocket sure big big hole and also pui pui very soon :rofl:

2 persons expenses for 2 value meal at McDonald also around $11+ can diy our own burgers and add more veg, tomatoes,etc

or

a simple dine out of 2 bowls of mee pok dry/handmade noodles/yong tau fu around $7-$8 a big pack of mee from the market cost less than $1, NTUC also recently selling local made handmade noodles (very nice according to my boy), 10pieces of yong tau fu cost $2 nia and merely need to dump in a tom yam soup cube or chicken base cube

anyway, the above are some of my suggestions to cut cost but then again, cooking can b very boring.

btw, its definitely cheaper to dine in if u have a big family. A single trip to hawker centre would set me back by at least $15 if a bowl of mee cost $2.50 (drinks not included) but if we buy a 1kg pack of mee from market, throw in prawns, fish ball/cake, crab meat stick, etc.....its definitely less than $15 plus its still less than $15 if I have to include a bottle of pepsi from the provision shop. Ice cubes on the house :bleah:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

thank you all for the interesting feedback and suggestions. I think from what I read, that neo garden thing sounds quite affordable but i just dont know the quality of food going in. And eating out, every coffe shop sells the same thing. But there is this kopitiam near bukit batok MRT, sells herbal chicken (1/2 chicken) for only $5. My wife and I have trouble finishing it.

And yeah cooking is tiring and cleaning isnt that fun. But cook more and soon you will device your own planning schedule. Luckily I leave in a 3 rm. And I think all those have this open concept kitchen will kick themselves in the arse sooner or later, once they start to cook. hahaha

Hmmmm. I think I will be cooking this tonight.

Chicken breast $2.50, slice into bite size pieces, add sliced ginger, sesame oil to coat pieces, soya sauce to taste, rice wine, 1/3 cup water, top ****ake mushroom. Steam 15 mins. Try it, very soothing. Chicken rice from the heart. you can add herbs if you want, custom made herbal chicken to your liking.

Yes I digress to recipes again. Sorry.

Just wondering, are all of you ladies? Am I the only guy here talking about cooking?

Thanks again for your input. Kinda got a feel of what to do already.

Eat out when you don't feel like cooking and cook when you don't feel like eating outside. Make it flexible, difficult to count the cost. Most important is your stomach and your mind satisfied. If we work so hard and cannot have a good meal...than will feel very low morale...for me and my wife...good food (not necessary expensive) is most important! heehee...

Just wondering, are all of you ladies? Am I the only guy here talking about cooking?

Thanks again for your input. Kinda got a feel of what to do already.

doesn't really matter if you guy or girl

guess cooking is a passion

wait till you hear my bf start talking about the various styles of cooking chicken :notti:8|

i like to cook as sometimes the food outside contains too much msg

i'm a little allergic to msg so if there's too much i'll feel some tingling down my spine

ya, you are rite. :D

according to youngsters, they'll say more economical to eat out but try telling our grandparents or our parents. They'll say its much better to 'dine in'.

hmm.....quite subjective on this weight issue as it all depends. To me, I find that 'dine in' put on weight and 'dine out' the opposite. What u all think?

basically, we had a count and feel that if you eat out on simple dishes, its much cheaper. my hb is the calculator. i don't care, i just eat whatever i like. :(

as for weight issue, i think generally when 1 reach certain age, whether eat in or out, weight will still increase. :P

well if you eat mcdonalds/kfc/pizza hut every day, surely will put on weight mah.

there is usually no or little wastage because my husband is quite efficient at clearing the plates 8| but i'm not adverse to eating leftovers so if there is anything left it goes in the fridge for the next day.

my hb is also the one clearing stock :dribble:

wahahaaa... still have pple tinking of cooking at home to safe $$...

depend wat kind of dishes u cook lar.

if buy cheap ingredient and can last longer that able to save lor. Just for example ah => simply fried cabbage with garlic only or seldom have fish or meat :~ ...

if u go for expensive ingredient and its delicious usually can eat alot and most properly will finished just one day :lol: .hahaha that how home cook food put u on weight.. after eat bedroom is near ZZZzz. or sit at sofa and dose off...

cooking , u too waste gas,waste water,waste time,kitchen dirty still need to mop the floor. or eventually have to mop the whole house cuz u step from kitchen to bedrooms :angry: ...

I love to cook too. i love cooking sup esp tonic sup :P ... at time i stew meat with taoKua and mushroom can last a week ah..everyday just cook rice lor. hehe...or top up ingredient to slow cooker 8|

at times i very lazy, just simply steam everything but like steam fish with plum & salted veg in rice cooking.

conculsion;- not really able to save much if cooking at home. Depend on dishes & ingredients.

you extremely are rite. i buy quality stuffs and its only for 2 days and i spent like $50+ and my hb was going :notti:

but at least i see he likes the food and finish all up. i would rather spend and get healthy, nourishing meals then sting on it coz these are our batteries that power us up leh :(

wow, yr wifey must be very fortunate that u do the cooking. Really need a passion to cook. My hubby likes to cook but then.............. so we decided that its best that he stays out of the kitchen. For me, I also dont like cooking and I prefer to bake and make desserts. Luckily, my parents moved in with us so the cooking is done by my super duper good cook mummy :ph34r: No wonder I cant lose the kilos :P

ya, you are rite. :good:

basically, we had a count and feel that if you eat out on simple dishes, its much cheaper. my hb is the calculator. i don't care, i just eat whatever i like. :notti:

as for weight issue, i think generally when 1 reach certain age, whether eat in or out, weight will still increase. !!

my hb is also the one clearing stock :notti:

you extremely are rite. i buy quality stuffs and its only for 2 days and i spent like $50+ and my hb was going :P

but at least i see he likes the food and finish all up. i would rather spend and get healthy, nourishing meals then sting on it coz these are our batteries that power us up leh :good:

ya. i have a collaegue always go on diet, she have depression problem.

for me cooking at home is for enjoyment, and see my hubby enjoy every single bits of the dishes i cook for him :).

i oso whenever plan to cook will end up shop shop shop out of control.

example wish to cook chicken curry, its needs :-

One whole Chicken - S$6.50

Potatoes - S$3.00

Curry Powder - S$2.00

Instant coco nut - S$4.00

spices - S$0.60

Onion - S$1.20

Dun 4get stil have Cooking Oil,sauces,gas consumption,Hood power to suck the smoke.$

Electric consumption for Cooking Rice, in rice cooker , and 2cups of white rice.$

Time Take for preparation : 1.5hours ba, plus peeling potatoes & cutting onions.

After meals still need to wash dishes & wash cookings pots : Time taken 45mins ba, and Water consumption $

mop the kitchen , mop the kitchen top...Water Consumption $

End of the day Dead Beats and start to put on weight hahaa.. as the food is so delicious & satisfied.

Usually maybe the curry only can last for 2meals per couple ba.

heeeheee..

IF wish to cook mus Cook nice food mah..

at times cheap ingredient is oso quite nice lar.

Just like Onion Ommenlette, and TaoChu (Fermented Beancurd) , with Plain porridge Yummy!!

Maybe each time we cook at home hor, we update the (1) ingredient cost (1) time Spend here, heee , tat could be fun :)...

I usualy shop ingredient from NTUC or Giant la.

even these day wet market pricing is almost the same as supermarket ba. i guess since for example both these places selling frozen chicken liao :P

wow, yr wifey must be very fortunate that u do the cooking. Really need a passion to cook. My hubby likes to cook but then.............. so we decided that its best that he stays out of the kitchen. For me, I also dont like cooking and I prefer to bake and make desserts. Luckily, my parents moved in with us so the cooking is done by my super duper good cook mummy :good: No wonder I cant lose the kilos :o

so lucky !

i love to bake and make desserts. :)

any nice chocolate cake ingredient to share?

wow, yr wifey must be very fortunate that u do the cooking. Really need a passion to cook. My hubby likes to cook but then.............. so we decided that its best that he stays out of the kitchen. For me, I also dont like cooking and I prefer to bake and make desserts. Luckily, my parents moved in with us so the cooking is done by my super duper good cook mummy :jawdrop: No wonder I cant lose the kilos :~

I think my wife is like your hubby. If she has to cook I prefer not to be around cos I get irritated. She says I have a Ramsay character. I am a wash and go person so I wont clog up the sink with dishes at the end of the session.

cheers all this is my fav website for asian cooking www.thekuali.com and for western www.recipezaar.com bear in mind their temp is in F so must convert to C.

We order dinner delivery services on weekdays, save the hassle of thinking what to eat and where to eat.

So far the quality and variety is pretty ok. 3 dishes + 1 soup, $10/meal, only need to cook rice.

ya. there're caterers who cater for dinner as well. just cook the rice lor. :bangwall:

wahahaaa... still have pple tinking of cooking at home to safe $$...

depend wat kind of dishes u cook lar.

if buy cheap ingredient and can last longer that able to save lor. Just for example ah => simply fried cabbage with garlic only or seldom have fish or meat :bangwall:...

if u go for expensive ingredient and its delicious usually can eat alot and most properly will finished just one day :).hahaha that how home cook food put u on weight.. after eat bedroom is near ZZZzz. or sit at sofa and dose off...

cooking , u too waste gas,waste water,waste time,kitchen dirty still need to mop the floor. or eventually have to mop the whole house cuz u step from kitchen to bedrooms :bangwall:...

I love to cook too. i love cooking sup esp tonic sup :)... at time i stew meat with taoKua and mushroom can last a week ah..everyday just cook rice lor. hehe...or top up ingredient to slow cooker :)

at times i very lazy, just simply steam everything but like steam fish with plum & salted veg in rice cooking.

conculsion;- not really able to save much if cooking at home. Depend on dishes & ingredients.

so u only wash rice cooker & rice bowl ah after meals?

any halal dinner delivery?

most of the time i dine out lar. Breakfast at raffles place S$4.00 Lunch at raffles place at least $5 ba. dinner at $5 ba. per day around 15 lor. just for meals only lar.

Ytd my lunch is Burger King ard $6 and today my lunch is at Olive & fig S$10.50..

seems like these days dine out is pretty ex leh.

swee swee oso will hit $4

i agreed in red highlighted. sometimes, cooking at home also can waste money lor. the gas, water and electricity you used leh. :bangwall:

I dun normally cook on weekdays cos by the time I reach home is already 7pm.

Bt sometimes if I dun really feel like dining out, I will cut & wash the food 1 day before, like

steaming fish, stir fried veg and an egg dish with prawns. My Hubby likes prawns a lot, so

I will hv to add in some prawns in some of the dishes sometimes...Even though, these might b easy to prepare, bt from cooking to cleaning up and mopping the floor will take abt 45 mins. Then spend another 15 mins to finish the food and gotta wash the dishes again...

I prefer to cook during weekends cos can slowly stew or double boil the soup...Actually cooking at home costs more in my case cos hubby oni likes red grouper fish, prawns and pork...He dun really like chix...

Bt as long as he like it, and its also more healthy to dine in, so I will try my best to cook every weekend...

IMO, cooking at home is more expensive...depends v much wat u buy and whether u bought it a the lower price and yet fresh....

As for weight plms, tink eat at home puts on more weight cos I prefer to cook more rather than not enuff to eat...kekekeke....luckily my hubby will finish up at the end of the day...

ya. there're caterers who cater for dinner as well. just cook the rice lor. :notti:

i agreed in red highlighted. sometimes, cooking at home also can waste money lor. the gas, water and electricity you used leh. :notti:

use charcoal? last time my old neighbour use charcoal to cook soap :notti:

I dun normally cook on weekdays cos by the time I reach home is already 7pm.

Bt sometimes if I dun really feel like dining out, I will cut & wash the food 1 day before, like

steaming fish, stir fried veg and an egg dish with prawns. My Hubby likes prawns a lot, so

I will hv to add in some prawns in some of the dishes sometimes...Even though, these might b easy to prepare, bt from cooking to cleaning up and mopping the floor will take abt 45 mins. Then spend another 15 mins to finish the food and gotta wash the dishes again...

I prefer to cook during weekends cos can slowly stew or double boil the soup...Actually cooking at home costs more in my case cos hubby oni likes red grouper fish, prawns and pork...He dun really like chix...

Bt as long as he like it, and its also more healthy to dine in, so I will try my best to cook every weekend...

IMO, cooking at home is more expensive...depends v much wat u buy and whether u bought it a the lower price and yet fresh....

As for weight plms, tink eat at home puts on more weight cos I prefer to cook more rather than not enuff to eat...kekekeke....luckily my hubby will finish up at the end of the day...

these is how married couple put on weight :notti:...

I think my wife is like your hubby. If she has to cook I prefer not to be around cos I get irritated. She says I have a Ramsay character. I am a wash and go person so I wont clog up the sink with dishes at the end of the session.

cheers all this is my fav website for asian cooking www.thekuali.com and for western www.recipezaar.com bear in mind their temp is in F so must convert to C.

both website not valid :notti:

use charcoal? last time my old neighbour use charcoal to cook soap :(

no joke. i've a friend whose grandmother always uses charcoal to cook. even now she is still using charcoal bcos her grandmother thinks that use gas to cook isnt good for health. charcoal is better. :sport-smiley-003:

Hi,

Frankly both of us like homecooked food cos' we don't put msg during cooking...but due to busy schedules on weekdays we usually don't cook but eat at my mum's...hee...cos' we stay same block too convenient liao...haha... :dribble:

I quite like cooking but only when got time lor...cos' imagine the preparation+cooking+washing+eating about 2-3 hours liao...then I don't have much time left to do other things...like never-ending laundry (remember we have another thread on this? hahaha)...and of course no time to log on too!!

:jawdrop: