Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
calicojane

Driveway Automatic Gate---price Range

Wonder if anyone can recommend a good installer and good product for this.

Am looking for a wooden, swing-outwards double auto gate for my driveway, width just a bit larger than for normal terrace.

Called www.panggiap.com.sg for a general quote on their basic wooden auto gate and was told $1380 for the gate, plus $1K+ for motor and installation. Works out to below $3K. The guy will be giving me a detailed quote after measuring later.

Another contractor gave me a rough estimate of $4-5K, thus unless the second guy is giving me much better quality in the motor and fittings, then his quote is a bit high.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Called www.panggiap.com.sg for a general quote on their basic wooden auto gate and was told $1380 for the gate, plus $1K+ for motor and installation. Works out to below $3K. The guy will be giving me a detailed quote after measuring later.

Another contractor gave me a rough estimate of $4-5K, thus unless the second guy is giving me much better quality in the motor and fittings, then his quote is a bit high.

That's about right I believe depending on material used which I assume would be a mixture of wrought iron and chengai wood. I believe a decent price range wld be about $3K +- couple of hundreds.

Also called Securitex, these gents claim on their website to be SG's oldest, and largest, suppliers of auto gate and security systems. Was quoted same as Panggiap, S$2.8K for basic woodengate plus motor plus installation.

More investigation reveals they use the RANGER brand motor for swing gate, I suspect this is a local brand cause they use it also in m'sia, where you can install it for as low as RM1K, I guess many in m'sia live in terraces, while only those more well-off financially in SG can afford a landed property. Thus there is demand for a low-cost auto gate. There is an offer on a RANGER installation in m'sia for RM900+, but lots of reports on m'sian forums of gates not working properly, motor smoking, etc.

From the Securitex website, the RANGER brand motor is an electric gear motor, not hydraulic. So far I see it comes in only one type. The specs and drawing are there. They claim that the RANGER motor/system is very reliable and many people have been using it for years with very few complaints.

It seems that hydraulic motors are more powerful, but also more expensive, coming mostly from europe, the brands I saw were FAAC, CAME etc. These all were quoted at around S$4K for supply and installation.

However, I have been looking around and one of my kahaki installed an electric gear auto system in her landed property and she says it has been working for last 2 years without problem.

I guess the most important thing is to get a motor that is suitable to the size and weight of your gate. If the motor is underpowered, eventually it will fail. If you get an overpowered motor, you may be paying too much for something u don't need.

Also the after service and guarantees will be important, because this machine will be used everyday.....got to be reliable, and if it does breakdown, must have someone to repair it quickly.

Like to thank vampree for her comments on the gate. Nice nickname. Yes, acc to panggiap, it is a mix of chengai and wrought iron. Also if the motor fails, the gate can be opened manually by means of a key.

I think unless there is really a benefit to the hydraulic system, I will go with the cheaper electric gear system.

I think unless there is really a benefit to the hydraulic system, I will go with the cheaper electric gear system.

wow - seems you have done quite abit of research ...

i changed my auto swing-gate and have not had any problem so far (touch-wood) ... but you are very right in that the weight of the gate will have a direct impact on the auto-system

OK, my detailed quote from Pang Giap was abt $1.5K for the motor system, but $2K+ for the wooden gate. Come out to abt below $4K.

I think it is because my driveway is a bit wider than the standard.

I'll consider this against the securitex quote I hope to get later on.

OK, my detailed quote from Pang Giap was abt $1.5K for the motor system, but $2K+ for the wooden gate. Come out to abt below $4K.

I think it is because my driveway is a bit wider than the standard.

I'll consider this against the securitex quote I hope to get later on.

Hi Calicojane,

Have you decided on the gate/company that you are using for the gate?

I am looking to replace my existing wrought gate to a wooden + wrought one as well. My driveway gate area is about 2 meter apart.

Rgd,

AP.

Hi Calicojane,

I am looking to replace my existing wrought gate to a wooden + wrought one as well. My driveway gate area is about 2 meter apart.

Rgd,

AP.

amzing the kind of informatio u can get on this forum. this thread will be handy for me when I take over my place. It already has a electric gate, but since the place is 13 years old, the gate may ka-put on me.

having a reliable motor is important esp it's always subjected to our rain and shine weather. if the cost difference is too much, i think electric will make more sense. Hydraulics uses oil pressure. over time, if the seals deteriorate, the oil may leak.

Hi Calicojane,

Rgd,

AP.

Heh, I did a measurement today, my gate area is 2.8m.

hey guys

when u do ur autogate, remember to have the photo beam sensor in case ur gate is closing and ur car or something is still in the way. otherwise the gate will close on the object and will spoil the gate and the object. For those with small animals like cats, make sure the sensor is low enough to detect them.

i engaged pang giap for folding door and window grilles.it is a terrible terrible experience.

the folding doors cannot close/lock properly. they came to fix once. and it's still not working. i'm facing a difficult time trying to arrange them to fix it. the window grilles created was of bad workmanship and had to be reworked.

their boss mr ang disappears (he never once calls me to apologise or offer solutions, when i requested to speak to him, his staff seemed reluctant) when problem arises and leaves it to his staff to fix the mess.

We just bought an inter terrace house and am also looking into getting a new auto gate. prefer wooden ones for privacy. have already emailed pang giap, sercuritex and legate for quotation.

so far how's everyone's gate doing?

realized that everyone prefers swing out gate. no one likes sliding gate?

We just bought an inter terrace house and am also looking into getting a new auto gate. prefer wooden ones for privacy. have already emailed pang giap, sercuritex and legate for quotation.

my contractor quote me $4k for mild steel frame + chennai timber for the gate, WITHOUT the motor. expensive huh.

from the previous post it seems that such a gate is probably around $2k-$3k without motor?

Edited by wind30

my contractor quote me $4k for mild steel frame + chennai timber for the gate, WITHOUT the motor. expensive huh.

from the previous post it seems that such a gate is probably around $2k-$3k without motor?

hmm ... mine is wrought iron with chengnai ... all in inc motor is $3K but that was some time ago .... the autogate motor shd be in the range from $1K - $1.5K ..

would advise not to have too heavy a gate as over time, it will affect the motor ....

My family have been using swing out or swing in auto gates for the last 2 properties we had. Main reason was that it comes with it, developer had it installed so we had no choice.

For my new property, i decide to use sliding gate for the space reasons. I need to park 2cars. My existing front porch can only park 1 car inside so the 2nd car has to be park on the pavement before the front porch. If i had swing out or swing in auto gate, then we have to have space allowance for the swinging gates, which unfortunately we do not have the luxury of space.

Sliding gates tend to be slower than swinging gates coz imagine u have to slide 2panels in vs swinging gates which swing 2panels at the same time.

Swinging gates in general look better than sliding gates also.