Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
russell

Living On 2nd Floor

space is a conductor of sound. so the higher you are, the nosier it is (esp true if u stay opposite MRT track, highway, busy junction).

i stayed on 2nd flr with my mum for 30yrs, later when my sister got her place, it was 2nd flr too. last yr when I got my place on 10th flr, I didnt felt it was better nor worst than 2nd flr. still also have pests (less, but still have a bit once in a while) + irritating mosquitoes + traffic noise.

i totally agree with either going to the highest floor, if not lowest.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

i'm staying on 3rd floor for more than one month. no problem with that.

i think there are many other attributes of a good unit.

like, next door neighbours, outside view (blocked/unblocked), nearby source of noise (playground, basketball court kindergarten etc), facing mainroad/cross junctions, east/west sun ETC...

i leave my curtains close most of the time and i dun/can't feel which floor i'm at so it doesn't bother me.

surprisingly, there's no mosquitoes problem. but there're those teeny weeny flies which irritates me so much until i started burning lavender essential oil. the smell seems to keep them away.

i still take the lift tho. keke.. lazy hor....

anyway, there's nothing to be regretful. buying a new house is a happy event. enjoy!!

surprisingly, there's no mosquitoes problem. but there're those teeny weeny flies which irritates me so much until i started burning lavender essential oil. the smell seems to keep them away.

i'm also living on the 2nd floor, just moved in 1 mth plus.

as its along the corridor, i also have those teeny weeny flies problem. do u burn the essential oil everynight?

does it have to be lavender?

i'm also living on the 2nd floor, just moved in 1 mth plus.

as its along the corridor, i also have those teeny weeny flies problem. do u burn the essential oil everynight?

does it have to be lavender?

I also staying at low floor.. how abt using those MAier devices that generate duno wut sound wave to keep the pests away? USeful or not?

i used to stay on 3rd floor for more then 20yrs with my parents.......then, my parents moved to Sk and we stayed on the 8th floor.

and, when i got my 1st flat, it's on 15th floor,.....and now i sold that flat and staying with mi PIL while waiting for my own hse to complete reno,...my PIL hse on 12th floor.

and my new hse, is on the 4th floor.......hahahhahaha

so, i hv a wide scope of experience on all levels....low, mid & high....hahaha :D

i find it all the same....most impt is neighbours!

if we hv considerate neighbours, whichever level is also heaven......but, if we kena those really jiat-lat neighbours, then it's machiam living in ****!

so far my enighbours all nice ppl,......and i m now crossing my fingers hoping my new neighbours will be nice ppl as well.

hmm......so far i'd been there few times,......and never see any of the beighbours b4 leh.....machiam all these EM owners seldom come out and say hello hello leh......all stay home and keep to themselves.....hehe ;)

Hi everybody!

I have never lived below the 7th floor all my life, until now when I am on the ground floor!

And I love it! Like some of you have said, its the neighbours and the condition of the estate you

live in that is the most important!!

There are 2 groundfloor units in my block and my neighbour is a Chinese family with 3 kids (the

eldest is same age as my eldest:) and a cute puppy who joyully welcomes us with a kind of jump and rotate routine .. :dancingqueen:

I took the initiative and broke the ice and now we are on warm terms and the kids get along like a house on fire. They are also living on the groundfloor for the first time.. moved in couple of years before us.

At the Aug mature estate ballot with a number of 558 I had to choose between 3 units in Pasir Ris,

when my turn came... 2 were 2nd floor with views of carpark and view of basketball court respectively.

The groundfloor unit which until then we had crossed out.... had totally ublocked view from all the windows.. of a verdant grassy stretch full of palm trees... and machiam like landed property.

Lots of space for my gardening hobby.. and easy to teach my son cycling :) My housing agent friend said if you want USP when it comes to selling go for highest or lowest. So I decided to go for lowest :)

Yeah cockroaches seem nearer.. esp after a fogging session by the town council... I see them all around, but they used to crawl out at night even on the 7th floor and above.

Inside the house... with good ventilation and breeze and essential oil (I have tried Patchouli and Youli Youli

not too strong .. just nice) and all the Mozzie routine practiced deligently as advised by nea.. no mozzies or other creatures so far.

One thing I appreciate the most is a kind of pavilion hdb has built at a distance mostly between 2 blocks.. with lights/fans/taps provision...most wakes/weddings/whatevers are held there... so I still dont feel them intruding on my living space. Kudos to HDB on the pavilion for functions idea!

Guys, i am one of the Singapore Low Floor Club. One that i realise is the excessive humidity in the environment and it will cause fungus outbreak.

The last thing i wanna see is mushrooms growing at my place. Is there any advices to solve this problem. ?

tis thread is really entertaining & so many positive comments abt 'low-rise' living.. :sport-smiley-004:

i'm also a low-riser, never live higher thn 6th storey...my new flat's at the 5th level & my current place at the 3rd..

i always thk of it tat i'm staying at the highest floor of a 3 storey landed property & get to smell the morning dew, listen to birds chirping right outside my door steps :good:

I have stayed in a mid flr, currently low flr. Here's my observations:

- nice garden view if you are staying in an estate with nice landscape

- good excuse to exercise. Never have to wait for the life if you don't wish to YET u have the convenience of lift level

- ventilation depends on your surroundings. My #2 unit is quite okie. My MIL stayed on 9th flr but I do not think the ventilation is any better!

- noise level depends on your surroundings. My #2 unit is actually quite peaceful though it is located at the central of my estate. Only complaint is the occasional noise from the inconsiderate people below your block. It sounded as if they are at your door step

- more visitations from pests if you have the rubbish chute within your unit, so do remember to keep food away :)

- dimmer

- more affordable esp if you are sourcing for a good location vs a mid floor / high floor unit at inconvenient location!

- i have lesser fear that my maid may hurt anyone / neighbours' windows seriously whenever she dropped the bamboo stick to the ground!

Basically my conclusion is that no matter what floor are you staying, the pros and cons depends very much on the choice of unit. A low floor unit is not necessary worst off than high unit!

I used to stay with my parents who stay at 6th floor...and after marriage..for the past 10mths been staying at 12th floor. My new flat is at 3rd floor...going for reno soon.

I dunno abt you...but i like my new place...there's only 4 families..including mine..with lift upgraded already.

So far...when i visit my new flat..the corridors are clean..and my neighbours popped over to say hello.

2 of my neighbours are malay while me and the other one are chinese.

I also tot that low floors are for other races in the past (no offence!!) even my mom doesn't really like the idea of staying lower than 4th floor..but as long as you are happy..what's the problem?

Let me revert 1 mth after i move into my new flat ok?:) cos' i was from a mid floor to high floor and then to a low floor club.

:yamseng: ..and be happy with your flat purchase at level 2.

Disadvantage:

1. Smells when the rubbish truck is clearing the shute

2. Mosquito

3. Burglars - easy to break in

4. When sewage pipe gets block, your house will be the first to flood

5. Difficult to sell

6. Lower resale value

7. Funeral wake

Advantages:

1. Don't have to wait for lift

2. No worry about lift breakdown

3. Quick escape if there's a fire

Edited by Diavonex

Just wondering, how did you guys deal with the mosquito problem for low-floor unit…

Having stayed in our new place which is on the low level for almost 2 months plus… In the recent weeks, there is a vast increase of mosquito attacks… bites ..bites.. and more bites…

Have complained to town council, they threw the ball to NEA… then NEA was pretty efficient, sent their man down the same morning… but found nothing.. then they threw the ball back to town council… then suggest to me to catch a mosquito for them to send to the lab to test… never mind if die or alive.. but must make sure mosquito have full corpse, cannot be squashed.. duuh… :blink: How to catch?

Meanwhile, we have tried the insectide sprays, mosquito coils, repellent oil diffuser, those high frequency sound devices and insect repellent sprays.. the mosquitoes really very pai si .. 8| if I just missed some spots I didn’t spray e.g. back of the neck, fingers, will kenna bite lor.. they must have scanned thru my whole body.. lol

Haai… *scratch scratch :bangwall: