Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
eRiaM

There's No Place Like Home

first time bloggin here so feel abit weird :rofl: anw went to meet up with Johnny today at our new place so he can survey the flat before he starts work. finally going to start work on Monday!!

now have to go through the headache of scouting for cheap places to buy lights/furniture/appliances etc..just hope that everything goes well. so many forum-ers seem to have problems with their reno. i'm scared the same thing would happen to us but i think i would really have no time to check the work so closely leh.. then things like the aircon installation. we paid to upgrade to armaflex and dunno wat other stuff that the salesman recommended us to upgrade then now im paranoid, scared on day of installation they would not bring the upgraded materials. but i think i wont be able to take leave on the day of installation. hope my dad is able to check.. dunno if johnny would be there to help me check?

okie betta get back to work.. blog more next time!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Yes... it is not easy to deal with contractors... but at least you got as far as the stage of starting work! Many people's headaches came way before that.... e.g. I had to change my ID three weeks before work starts!

Impossible not to have any issues lah.... afterall... it's a coordinated effort by so many parties. Sure got misunderstandings, miscomm...etc. I find that as long as you have some "buffer" to accept certain things that are less than perfect, and pick your battles on items that really matters.... things will go a lot smoother.

All the best!

Where abouts is your new place?

Max383 > how come u had to change your ID?! ya many parties are involved dat's why so big headache.. my new place is at kallang :)

applefreak> hehe thanx! my new place is at kallang and it's a 5 room flat. haha havent really taken any pics yet but will post them up later. it's a super small layout man! had a headache tryin to figure out how to fit all our stuff in cos there's gg to be 5 ppl stayin in this place! :)

dunno whether other people face the same problem or issit becos we have so many opinions to consider? 5 ppl staying together so = 5 opinions + advice from FSM + ideas from ID = 7 differing points of view!:) kns. sometimes i feel so pek chek cos we keep having to ding-dong here and there to come to a conclusion about a certain item or layout or watever. :)

just now still trying to decide how to arrange the stuff in my brother's room. then also had a huge discussion/disagreement about having aircon in the living room. nowadays electricity going up, dun wanna use aircon so much. but yet at the same time worried that living room will be too hot cos our flat face the setting sun. if we were to get an aircon for the living room, means additional cost for extra unit and for kitchen door. everything also need money!! johnny always say, "anything you want to change also can, just need money lor." reallie dunno how parents are able to fork out so much money last time for such things. so sianz i aso dunno when i would be able to save up so much money for my own place. bah.

anw tiling works gg to start tmr!! so exciting!! tmrw won't be able to go down and see. hopefully tuesday the workers would be there when i drop by, then can aso take pics of their work :) can't wait to see how the mosaic tiles would look at the foyer!! :)

Totally lost confidence from the previous ID... keep making empty promises.

Can't even give me a simply work schedule... tell me he give me by Sat.... I called following Mon to ask... he say very busy.. he'll give me by next day... nothing again... so called him on Fri... can actually scold me say why i rush him? He already told me he was busy!! Gosh.... can you believe that? Every dateline is given by him, and when he slips his own dateline, can actually say I rush him. If he says Sat... I call earlier to ask, then I agree... I am rushing him. But if he says Sat... I called two days AFTER he missed the dateline... how dare he turn it around and accuse me?

We even told him....you busy, we understand... but can stop giving empty promises because it makes us lose confidence in him. Yet... he continues to behave this way. So after a few of these incidents, we felt there is no point working with him. Reno work haven't start, he behaves like that... can you imagine what will happen when reno start and we pay 40% up front?? We will be held hostage!

Very happy to change ID.... absolutely the correct move. Caused me a few sleepless nights though.

Max383 > how come u had to change your ID?! ya many parties are involved dat's why so big headache.. my new place is at kallang :help:

Hmm.... guess its your place, you should decide on the common areas like living room...etc. For other areas, the person using it more often should have priority to decide (within budget of course). Meaning, the ones that cooks should have a bigger say in the kitchen, whoever's bedroom the person should have a bigger say on how they want to do their room...etc.

Then at least everyone can have a say and should keep them happy lor.

dunno whether other people face the same problem or issit becos we have so many opinions to consider? 5 ppl staying together so = 5 opinions + advice from FSM + ideas from ID = 7 differing points of view!:good: kns. sometimes i feel so pek chek cos we keep having to ding-dong here and there to come to a conclusion about a certain item or layout or watever. :help:
Edited by Max383

Can't even give me a simply work schedule... tell me he give me by Sat.... I called following Mon to ask... he say very busy.. he'll give me by next day... nothing again... so called him on Fri... can actually scold me say why i rush him? He already told me he was busy!! Gosh.... can you believe that? Every dateline is given by him, and when he slips his own dateline, can actually say I rush him. If he says Sat... I call earlier to ask, then I agree... I am rushing him. But if he says Sat... I called two days AFTER he missed the dateline... how dare he turn it around and accuse me?

We even told him....you busy, we understand... but can stop giving empty promises because it makes us lose confidence in him. Yet... he continues to behave this way. So after a few of these incidents, we felt there is no point working with him. Reno work haven't start, he behaves like that... can you imagine what will happen when reno start and we pay 40% up front?? We will be held hostage!

Very happy to change ID.... absolutely the correct move. Caused me a few sleepless nights though.

May i know where ur ID from? Sounds similiar to mine.

Haha... better not name names lah.... it is their livelihood afterall. Better stick to good recommendations in this forum rather than bad ones. :sport-smiley-003:

May i know where ur ID from? Sounds similiar to mine.

Hmm.... guess its your place, you should decide on the common areas like living room...etc. For other areas, the person using it more often should have priority to decide (within budget of course). Meaning, the ones that cooks should have a bigger say in the kitchen, whoever's bedroom the person should have a bigger say on how they want to do their room...etc.

Then at least everyone can have a say and should keep them happy lor.

ya im very scared of empty promises..read so many horror stories abt such things that i get very paranoid when i buy stuff now. :furious: but luckily you changed your ID and it's good that everything has worked out for you now :bangwall:

oh and as for the decision making..aiya your suggestion makes sense too but actualli abit hard to put into practise. like say my bro likes his room a certain way + FSM suggestion, but my mother thinks another way is better. or mebbe in the MBR my sister thinks a certain design is betta. so must listen to all views aso :bangwall:

oh and as for the decision making..aiya your suggestion makes sense too but actualli abit hard to put into practise. like say my bro likes his room a certain way + FSM suggestion, but my mother thinks another way is better. or mebbe in the MBR my sister thinks a certain design is betta. so must listen to all views aso :bangwall:

Sigh... cannot listen to all the views lah... thats why u have headache. :furious:

If its ur bro's room for example.... should let him have his say....not your mum... cause he is going to live in that room... not her. I am not saying to disregard what ur mum thinks.... but your bro's view should take priority. Those who use the room should have final say. Else... ur problem will never end. :bangwall:

wah so long haven't had time to blog here. weekdays work like siao, weekends run around for house reno stuff. :~ can't wait for everything to be settled so i can move in man!! zz

anw Max383, thnx for your advice.. now design more or less settled already so have to run around to buy stuff for the new place now. haha i think i shld post up pics so that more fun to see..BUT i have been procrastinating + lack of time so haven't upload to lappie or even to the website yet. hopefully can do it soon :P but here's a list of the damage so far: :unsure:

Aircon: Fujitsu Inverter Sys 3 + Fujitsu non-Inverter Sys 1 from Gain City so got $300 NTUC voucher, 1 set of cutlery and 1 set of pot and wok

Bathroom accessories: Poh Joo!! Got the 707 instant heater from Poh Joo. at first we were quite confused abt the difference between storage and instant but after much explanation from many SAs, we decided to get instant. seems to be a few common brands around like 707, Joven and Alpha. saw quite a few of my new neighbours using 707 and since the SA say it's an old and trusted brand, we decided to get it :dunno: We also bought some things from Hoe Kee at Tanjong Katong Complex aso cos onli Hoe Kee had the basin+cupboard and toilet seat covers that we liked.

Bed frame: Lorenzo, at 50% off!!

Dining Table: Lorenzo

Fridge: LG from Harvey Norman, comes with free LF microwave oven

Hob and Hood: Hobz from Poh Joo (thnx Max383 for your reply abt Hobz! :D)

Mattress: Slumberland and Princebed from Bed & Bedding Centre at Balestier, comes with free pillows and mattress protectors

Sofa: Fabric L-shaped from Estila, comes with free mini pillows and mini bolsters

TV: Samsung 37" LCD from Harvey Norman, comes with free Home Theatre System and DVD player and $300 Robinsons vouchers

Telephone Table: Zen Tradition at Kallang - super cheap cos they were having pre-reno sale!

Washing Machine: Toshiba from Harvey Norman comes with free detergent and movie voucher

hehe quite happy with our buys so far. managed to get some items during sale, or sometimes we juz squeeze the SA by asking for free things like mirror or pillows, or a discount. :sport-smiley-004: think they must all be quite scared of us haha.. no choice leh so many things to buy have to be super budget. and we are quite lucky because all the SA that we have met so far are super nice/friendly and willing to explain everything to us a million times. too lazy to write long story here but if anybody gg to these places, i will confirm+guarante+chop write my experience and recommend my SA!

so now just left coffee table, lighting and curtains. that's all the major purchases i can think of for now. Oh ya!! still got to go Ikea to buy things like bedsheets and crockery and other furnishings. then got other minor chapalang stuff like iron or watever. now just hope and pray hard that delivery is on time and the items are in order :yamseng:

tiling work has finished at our new house so this weekend going to our new place to meet our ID to decide on electrical points. must go and take pics and post it up sooN!! :unsure:

Edited by eRiaM

hehe eh not my pocket burn but my dad's pocket burn!! think i shld help out abit but i dun earn alot aso.. so dunno how much i should/can contribute aso..

anw applefreak sorrie no scanner leh cant scan the floor plan..but i can show u the pics!

Living Room

living.jpg

Kitchen - which is super small!!

kitchen.jpg

Bro's Room

bro.jpg

My sis and my room

my.jpg

Parents' Room aka MBR

mbr.jpg

will post up other pics of our purchases next time!

hehe eh not my pocket burn but my dad's pocket burn!! think i shld help out abit but i dun earn alot aso.. so dunno how much i should/can contribute aso..

anw applefreak sorrie no scanner leh cant scan the floor plan..but i can show u the pics!

Living Room

living.jpg

Nice view from the living rm.