Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Coedes

Noise From Mrt Station - Any Experience/advice Pls?

Hi, I'm new to this forum and hope to seek advice from home owners who live near/right next to an MRT station.

Cos I'm considering staying in a HDB flat (10th floor) which is facing and just across the road from an MRT station.

Some ppl say tt's the price u pay for convenience, but I'm just not sure what it's going to be like having the train noise day in and out, especially on my day off at home.

Will one get used to it? (Cos I intend to keep my windows open for ventilation if I'm at home during the day).

Anyone with advice based on similar experience?

Thanks very much in advance for any views on this,

cheers

cd

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi, I'm new to this forum and hope to seek advice from home owners who live near/right next to an MRT station.

Cos I'm considering staying in a HDB flat (10th floor) which is facing and just across the road from an MRT station.

Some ppl say tt's the price u pay for convenience, but I'm just not sure what it's going to be like having the train noise day in and out, especially on my day off at home.

Will one get used to it? (Cos I intend to keep my windows open for ventilation if I'm at home during the day).

cheers

cd

For all my life i stay near MRT but low floor.....never feel anything cos maybe numb already.......but before i get my latest low floor unit...........i almost buy a 9th floor unit which face MRT station and its track......this time i can really hear the train sound.....i feel irritated.......i tried to bear wif it but i cant cos i can really hear it.......i heard someone says space is a good conductor of sound......the higher u stay the louder it get.......

Just my 2 cents worth of view.........

For all my life i stay near MRT but low floor.....never feel anything cos maybe numb already.......but before i get my latest low floor unit...........i almost buy a 9th floor unit which face MRT station and its track......this time i can really hear the train sound.....i feel irritated.......i tried to bear wif it but i cant cos i can really hear it.......i heard someone says space is a good conductor of sound......the higher u stay the louder it get.......

Just my 2 cents worth of view.........

hey thanks for the input. i also went to see a 9th floor unit facing another mrt station. ha, maybe it was the same unit u saw! :bleah: yes, my fiancee also say higher floor sound travel louder.

hey thanks for the input. i also went to see a 9th floor unit facing another mrt station. ha, maybe it was the same unit u saw! :dancingqueen: yes, my fiancee also say higher floor sound travel louder.

So coincidence?................the 9th floor unit i see is a 3 room unit at central singapore........i really want to buy it cos the owner wants to sell me at an attractive price..........but i keep hearing the MRT sound.....i even stand outside his door for half an hr to confirm if i can really take the sound anot..............in the end i give up...........

I guess you have to get used to it.. Initially was quite unbearable (cant sleep at night) but after a while, you get used to it and before you know it, you'll be immune to the sound :sport-smiley-003:

So coincidence?................the 9th floor unit i see is a 3 room unit at central singapore........i really want to buy it cos the owner wants to sell me at an attractive price..........but i keep hearing the MRT sound.....i even stand outside his door for half an hr to confirm if i can really take the sound anot..............in the end i give up...........

ha no, mine was 5-room unit also in central area. ok price only (given current mkt), but good interior design (minimal reno needed).

only concern now is whether i'll get used to the noise or be driven "mad" by it

I used to live near the mrt and on the 10 th flr. and cld really hear the mrt noise (worse still there was a school right in front of my block), even my fren who was on the phone with me cld hear it. but i got used to it after while. now i m living near to a main rd and o cldn't get used to it bec of all teh screeching motorbikes sound which is 10 times worse than mrt (at least mrt sound is pretty monotonuous and u know exactly wat time the mrt will stop and start but not motorbikes). eventually i found that having the fan on cld really drown out the sound and create a montonuous rhthym for u to fall asleep. just my 2 cents worth...

cheers

cd

During a CNY visit to a close friend this year who stay just across Sembawang MRT station (mid floor, living room facing the station platform), I heard no less than 10 announcement of "for your own safety, please stand behind the yellow lines during my 1.5 hours of stay there. He mentioned he get use to it already.

Some days during pre-dawn hours, the MRT will carry out some track maintenance work and sometimes the noise generated will really annoy him.

i think it also depends on whether yr unit is near to the track or the station.

middle of the mrt track - u just hear the train passing by. same sound over and over.

station - u hear annoucements, maintenance works noise, train moving off noise (louder screeching sound i feel...).

if u are moving from a quiet place to a noisy place, u might want to think twice. in future if u need to sell, u might take longer time too.

Edited by latitude