Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
simeiz

Safety Lock For Sliding Window

An hr ago, got a sales person came to my flat and talked about the same thing. He also showed us how easily it is to open!!

Now we are very worried what if the person who came is actually one of the accomplice of such break in. I asked the person twice to give me the company contact/hp # so that we can call back later but he refuse to give!!!

Saw from one of the comment that the lock itself only $4. The sales person said per lock charging $45 and that the lock is expensive he only earn $6 per installation... Luckily I rejected the offer and googled.

Anyone able to share reliable contacts to install these safety lock? Am going to check out with the 2 companies where I got my grille and doors from. Hopefully they wont charge too high for installation.

Also, does top hung window needs such safety lock? We dont open our top hung windows thats facing the corridoor though.

Edited by Reira

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Just a side note guys and gals. Most ppl are able to force open windows and grilles because of the freeplay between the grille and the frame.

This freeplay can be eliminated by putting stoppers/washers etc betwwen the side of your grille and the frame so that your grille is not able to move in any direction (especially left-right) once locked (not even a bit). But do remember that if u use rubber stoppers/washers they can be compressed so someone might still be able to force the freeplay. And do remember to make sure that there are no gaps between the grille/window and the frame too!

This type of safety lock is a good way to eliminate the individual freeplay as it locks each panel together. I've seen a few different types in hardware shops around. Just make sure that whatever safety lock u use has a long enough locking-bar so that it is able to go deep into the other grille/window. This is important as the forward-backward freeplay of both windows/grilles can defeat this type of lock too if the locking bar is too short. (I've not tried the lock in the pics above yet so can't comment on them but looks good!)

Just some general food for thot!

Anyway, just wanna find out from u guys. To install the lock in the pics above, the window/grille needs to be removed from the frame 1st right? Cause i noticed that drilling and riveting the bottom hole will be a problem as it will be blocked by the frame/track if u wanna install it without removal. Put too high also cannot Think its not easy to remove the window/grille from the frame too especially for those of us with old windows. Any solutions?