Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
heynsl

Reno Cost For Condo Vs Reno Cost For Hdb

I had bought a new condo which just TOP and decide to do reno with some overhaul of the existing toilets but leaving majority of the flooring untouch...

Was quoted extremely high when compared to my friend's HDB where he had to hack & lay of tiles on the flooring and overhaul of his existing resale flat....

how come the difference is so great?

Isn't it the same of work to be done for condo & hdb but why the prices differ a lot????

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Are you and your friend using the same ID/contractor? If not you would have nothing to say because they can just claim that they charge differently.

Try asking your friend's ID/contractor and compare the quotation in detail.

My friend renovated his townhouse 1.5 yrs ago. When I was renovating my HDB flat, he kept complaining that what his ID quoted him was more than what I got from Ho Bee.

To shut his mouth, I told him this, "since you are living in a private property, if that ID doesn't treat you as big water-fish and chop hard hard, then he is real stupid !" :notti:

Just kidding, don't flame me hah :P

Maybe your ID is using better quality or more expensive tiles to do the work for you?

yes, i feel the same way too. am renovating my condo now, small unit at about 900sqft. but when i showed my quotation to friends to who have renovated last year or the year before, they did commend that some of the breakdowns are abit steeper than theirs.

but am consoling myself that we have to take into account the fact that cost for most things are going up north now, everything from cement to copper cost etc are increasing. :(

It's quite a known fact that whenever they see a condo, the prices charged will definitely be higher. This is tried and tested. We had the SAME contractor do a quotation, one for our friend in a HDB flat (bigger area somemore!) and one for ourself, a smaller unit condo. Based on item by item literally, ours was always more expensive even though materials, dimensions, etc were VERY similar.

So there you go :)

i have that problem too! i mean they want to do business, but they must see what type of condo what!! orchard condo then chop la! condo next to hdb then don't charge so expensive lah!

i have that problem too! i mean they want to do business, but they must see what type of condo what!! orchard condo then chop la! condo next to hdb then don't charge so expensive lah!

Haha! jwn, I agree with you totally! Doesn't mean all condos must chop carrot! unless it's like orchard/sentosa ones! must look at location also. well, perhaps condos in hdb area = 10, 20% mark-up from hdb and those orchard ones 50% mark-ups from hdb! :deal:

Best is to find someone you know (friend or trusted sources) if you want to avoid the differential pricing for the same reno works when you bought yourself a condominium :)

:rofl:

Yeah lor. Cannot just charge BASED on condo vs HDB but apparently, this is quite a known 'practise'. It doesn't stop at renovation costs, mind you. Even when you do your lighting shopping, you'd probably experience the same discrimination too. Tsk.

Edited by ene

:lmao:

Yeah lor. Cannot just charge BASED on condo vs HDB but apparently, this is quite a known 'practise'. It doesn't stop at renovation costs, mind you. Even when you do your lighting shopping, you'd probably experience the same discrimination too. Tsk.

True true... Cos to many people, including me, our mathematic is pretty simple, HDB = ordinary people, condo = rich people, landed = very rich people :lol:

Now that you know this, chop the contractor back lor, bargain real hard, slash prices, ask for freebies, if not go to another contractor. You only have bargaining power before you sign contract.

i mean, if you think logically, buy condo after paying 20% down payment, is already poor man.. how to chop!

you know, before we bought this resale unit, my husband and i have seen about 20 hdbs and 10 condos. out of the 20 hdbs, at least half will be renovated (at least go some kind of kitchen cabinet, some kind of false ceiling, etc) but when you go to condo, it is like 80% no reno except built in by developers! a good percentage of condos don't even have false ceiling with cornices, they just go for bare ceiling!

at that point we were wondering how come so weird, (i kid you not, u go do condo viewing u will know), but now i know why! because id and contractors charge ridiculous rates! i want to reno my place now cos it is so old, but given the quotes i receive now, i think i can only do half of what i need!!! :curse:

Edited by jwn

hi guys,

actually i jus finished reno my condo, n my contractor is nice n reliable. if u wan, can pm me for his contact.

cheers,

xinyi