Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
joper

Hob & Hood - Which Brand Should I Buy?

hi, am really interested in the inner flame too and made trips to mega discount, rina and imm hoe kee to find out more.

for now, seems like more naysayers for the inner flame hob. pros and cons as follows

my 2 cents research. hope you can shed some light into it since you bought one eh.

Thanks for your doubts. You know, I never take sales staff comments seriously - simply bcoz these ppl have vested interests. Sure, there are honest sales ppl but the dishonest ones outnumber the honest ones, in my view.

That said, I must salute one sales guy at HN Novena Sq 2 who served me recently when I wanted to snag a Philips bagless vacuum cleaner. I bargained a lower price than the already discounted price of $119 (before promotion, was $139) as I was willing to pay cash. Since we all know merchants pay a 3% credit card payment fee, I thought I cld get a lower price if I paid in cash. After checking, then talking at length with his boss on the phone, he finally agreed to my price! When pressed, he reluctantly said he wld pay the difference ($10) from his pocket!! He probably had felt sorry for my plight, as I looked a tragic sight - with tubes running from my arm to a pump from a recent hospital operation, and a mask over my mouth (*grin*). However, when I learnt he was using his own money to fund the difference I thanked him but said I cld not take advantage of his kindness !!

Sorry to digress, but that kind of sales guy is uncommon so this is a tribute to him (applause).

OK, now for yr "cons". Obviously the sales guy (assuming it was the sales guy you got the info from) have never used the Rinnai inner flame burner. If he had he wld know for sure that not only is the flame very very hot but the flame control is amazing !! On my Rinnai RB-2CG model I cld turn down the flame so low you hardly see it, yet my stew pot continued to simmer very nicely. Just the way I wanted it for a herbal soup I was cooking.

I had previously written about my experience and control on my blog here.

With cons #1 demolished, cons #2 is also untrue! Cons #3 - yes, the warranty is 1 yr, but I don't see how that is a con - it is the mfr's policy, and I accepted that in good faith, though obviously I too wld want 3 yrs warranty if possible! But 1 yr is good enuf for me as many other appliances I had bought also came with 1 yr warranty. One cld also view 3 yrs' warranty as maybe an attempt by the maker/agent to sell their product in order to boost poor sales?? As for the rest of the cons, I feel that can be said of competing brands as well.

You did right by asking questions and finding out views abt the product you want to buy. And if I hv any advice, it is to ask friends - ppl whom you already know and trust and definitely not sales ppl - for their opinion if they had bought/used the product you want to buy. Otherwise it is wiser to regard all other comments as "just opinions", not facts.

I have no vested interest in promoting Rinnai. However, like many forumers, I was most upset as I had bought many products in the past 20 yrs that turned out to be poorly made and downright shoddy. What a waste of money!!! Don't you feel the same?!!??

Those were the days before the advent of the internet when most of time one had to buy "blind". Some of these products and bad experiences have been detailed on my blog. Now with consumer forums being popular, consumers can have access to have second (and third) opinions of the items they are keen in. Therefore when I bought and used a product that exceeded my expectations, I will not hesitate to voice my good opinion and recommendation on forums and on my blog. That way, badly designed and made products will soon lose market share as consumers become wiser in their choices.

Sorry for this long response, but I have good regard for your post as it raises the doubts and questions most buyers harbor. :paint:

Edited by BlueFly

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Thanks for sharing your experience. Would you mind revealing which German brand were you referring to?

Looking forward to read the verdict! :)

Thanks for yr post.

I talked about our old German oven and hood in a post dated 22 April 2008:

Quote:

Rinnai Oven

Our old kitchen had a Bauknet oven, a Bauknet vented suction hood, and a Bauknet wall-mounted water boiler.

Unquote.

Haw Par stopped marketing Bauknet because the German product was too pricey then (in the early 1980s when we bought the items) for the mass market. As for the hob, we bought a 4-burner plus a hotplate Elba hob, model EHS 948 S. We also talked about our experience with the Elba hob on our blog.

Rgds

P.S. Sorry, the writeup on the Fujioh hood is still not up due to my hospitalisation. But one short word - highly recommended!

Edited by BlueFly

Recycling means the hood sucks in the air, filter out the oil/grease and smell (only if the hood has carbon filters) then releases the air back into the kitchen.

Ventilating models have a duct installed at the window or a place whereby the air can be released outdoor. Such models are not allowed in HDB flats, probably not for condos too.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Thanks Moonlit

i was like u trying to decide between FX900 or 800MK2, the only differences are

1. price. 800MK2 is about twice the price of FX900

2. weight & size. 800MK2 is much heavier & bigger 28.5kg vs 16kg, if u want something strealined FX900 don't take up so much space

3. absorption rate: 88% (800MK2) vs 83% (FX900)

Fujioh :sport-smiley-004:

tks for ur reply, Noobhouse.

so, u bot FX900 in the end...hv u installed and using it alredi? any comment? read abt bluefly's installation of FX900 hood. a bit worried abt the bigger than norm depth of the hood...most units from other brands hv smaller depth. wonder if it wld cause any inconvenient when cooking, like it might knock ur head if u r tall...:P

did u get fujioh hob as well? tot it's cheaper to get them in package...tks for advice

Edited by qiqi

I'm also considering buying Fujioh FX900 and FG792. The price at Hoe Kee is $785, before bargain. What is the price you got?

Anyone has experience with these models? And roughly how much discount can I get from Hoe Kee on hood and hob?

i went hoe kee last Sun. the package px now is $795 for FX900+FG792. the sales person said they r offering further discount on the package px fr last Fri till sun only. for package FX900+FG793, usual discount px=$835, special discount px is <800, said 700 plus but i didnt ask for the exact figure 'cos not ready to buy yet. Asia excel also offers special discount.

was told currently Hoe Kee hv no stock for FX900.

anyone using their hobs and oven?

Hi Kitchen Matters,

do u hv any experience on Fujioh hoods/hobs or oven?

tks in advance!

tks for ur reply, Noobhouse.

so, u bot FX900 in the end...hv u installed and using it alredi? any comment? read abt bluefly's installation of FX900 hood. a bit worried abt the bigger than norm depth of the hood...most units from other brands hv smaller depth. wonder if it wld cause any inconvenient when cooking, like it might knock ur head if u r tall...:P

did u get fujioh hob as well? tot it's cheaper to get them in package...tks for advice

not yet, about to start doing kitchen only. :P well, it's best to follow fujioh's instructions.

u can find it at www.fujioh.com.sg recommended height is 800mm but i've checked with fujioh, u can set it

lower but not higher. mine's at 750mm. if u're worried bout height issue, get e taller person to stand there & measure

e distance & prob estimate from there. yr contractor could advise u as well.

i got rinnai hob, was considering inner flame w safety valve but chose a normal one in e end. fujioh hob isn't that

bad but according to what i read here, best combo seems to be rinnai hob & fujioh hood. of course, it's only my own opinion

there're others who prefer other brands. :dribble:

not yet, about to start doing kitchen only. :P well, it's best to follow fujioh's instructions.

u can find it at www.fujioh.com.sg recommended height is 800mm but i've checked with fujioh, u can set it

lower but not higher. mine's at 750mm. if u're worried bout height issue, get e taller person to stand there & measure

e distance & prob estimate from there. yr contractor could advise u as well.

i got rinnai hob, was considering inner flame w safety valve but chose a normal one in e end. fujioh hob isn't that

bad but according to what i read here, best combo seems to be rinnai hob & fujioh hood. of course, it's only my own opinion

there're others who prefer other brands. :dribble:

Thanks so much noobhouse!

how much is the rinnai hob? can share how much is ur combi cost?

fujioh hobs FG793 & 792 has inner flame too. but i prefer the 793 3 stove layout. but doesnt come with safety valve. read somewhr the safety valve only cost ard $10. wondering it can be added on...:)

tks again

Thanks so much noobhouse!

how much is the rinnai hob? can share how much is ur combi cost?

fujioh hobs FG793 & 792 has inner flame too. but i prefer the 793 3 stove layout. but doesnt come with safety valve. read somewhr the safety valve only cost ard $10. wondering it can be added on...:)

tks again

I got mine for $390 or $380 total hob/hood $770

not every model will come w safety valve, well it boils down to what u want.

my expectation & final choice din turn out to be e same but I'm ok w it. ;)

Hi Kitchen Matters,

do u hv any experience on Fujioh hoods/hobs or oven?

tks in advance!

Hi qiqi;

saw their products at certain stores. Their FX 900 slimline hood sell the best :) i heard run out of stock . As for Oven , they have 1 model . Iif i not mistaken they gives out 3 yrs warranty on Hood.

KM

Hi qiqi;

saw their products at certain stores. Their FX 900 slimline hood sell the best :) i heard run out of stock . As for Oven , they have 1 model . Iif i not mistaken they gives out 3 yrs warranty on Hood.

KM

Actually the FX900 is pretty deep. I think there is some issue and one might hit ur head against it. Even if u mount it at 800mm higher than the bottom cabinet, there is a tendancy you might knock on it?

Hi qiqi;

KM

ya, i was told it;s out of stock now. how do u compare their oven to other brands? any idea???? :P need ur expertise laaa...headache abt which brand to choosee...dun want to spend too much on oven (<600/500). will only bake like once in awhile kind...think i wld steam food more often than grill/bake la. any advice?

Actually the FX900 is pretty deep. I think there is some issue and one might hit ur head against it. Even if u mount it at 800mm higher than the bottom cabinet, there is a tendancy you might knock on it?

ya, tat's one of my worry..