Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
cjb

Anyone Done Glass Backing For Kitchen

mine quote $90 pfr...think i will bargain..

mine was quoted together with my solid surface top. but i not doing full 14.5ft backsplash. maybe only 7.5ft glass.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
mine was quoted together with my solid surface top. but i not doing full 14.5ft backsplash. maybe only 7.5ft glass.

Dunno if this helps -- but check the glass panel you install is really tempered glass. Many pass off ordinary plate glass as tempered glass coz the consumer is no wiser, and given the distance of the burner hob from the glass panel, some ordinary glass can withstand the heat from the flame for several months... until one day the heat stress finally cause it to crack. To assure me the glass they supplied is tempered glass, the supplier showed me the TEMPERED" logo trademark on the product itself, so that if it breaks in future due to heat stresses, I can ask for a replacement.

DSC_8440.jpg

Well, I don't know how good the "HH TEMPERED" logo is (being a noob in this line) as anybody can simply silkscreen a logo onto any glass panel to pass it off as tempered glass. But it is better than nothing, and I figured anyone who takes the trouble, has a long establIshed business, is unlikely to be a fly-by-night operator. Well, so far so good -- it has been 6-7 months without incidents so far. And my hob burner is using the Rinner innerflame technology, and I can tell you, the flame is really hot, much hotter than the usual burner hob ! :yamseng:

Edited by BlueFly

Tempered glass will shatter into tiny diamond like pieces when it breaks.

Normal glass will shatter with large and small shards of glass when it breaks.

The "HH" print on the glass most probably wouldn't be fake.

There is no point passing off a normal glass as tempered glass.

You will find out sooner or later when it breaks.

If it breaks and you find out, the glass supplier will be out of business.

Also to take note, there is a reason to use tempered glass.

not anyhow use. usually where the glass needs to be tough, it will be tempered. Otherwise, normal glass will do.

Another alternative is to use laminated glass.

it will break and crack, but will not shatter into pieces.

Btw do PM me if anyone would like to do glass works.

I have a small registered company together with a partner.

As we are small with little or no overheads to cover, we'll definately be able to provide a better price for you.

we do shower screens / mirrors / kitchen top backglass / glass doors / glass table tops / odd sized or customised sized glass. All customised and made to fit your request.

I'm quoted $250 for 3ft glass backing (any colours)..ex? :dunno:

What is the dimension?

$250 for 3ft glass backing...

How many Square Feet?

If it is 3ft x 3ft, $250 ur being ripped off. its too expensive.

PM me for a better price. Its not right to post it here and spoil the market.

I'd be able to help you save some money enough for a simple xmas dinner with your loved ones.

Cheers

mine quote $90 pfr...think i will bargain..

At $90 pfr, its also on the high side. Steep in fact

Cheers

ops. all along tot i was being quoted for my glass panel with the solid top. but realise it was my mistake. tat one is de solid top 2" backsplash.

keke. now asked to add on additional 380 for the close to 8ft backsplash. keke. but ID give discount n made it 300bucks. cos he say it's his fault for forgetting to add. =p

Hi, My ID also packaged 10mm black tempered glass for the whole stretch of wall between the cabinets and hob...

Then the other day, we were visiting his shop, he offered to change to mirrors for us as I was worried that black tempered glass would look dark and white tempered glass brings a greenish tone....

The mirrors are abit brownish more to tea colour and he says that so far, he hasnt got any complaints and customers likes the way it brightens the place and looks good and easy to maintain...

He says that though it is more expensive than tempered glass, he is giving to us to replace our tempered glass without top up... my hubby loves the look and took it....

Anyway, we asked him if we do heavy cooking and it breaks, will t be very expensive to change, he says no lar... not difficult and not very expensive lar.....The point is, he says, you dun go knocking at it lar....

Btw, think no need to have tiles if have glass.....

fyi, tinted mirror (brown colour) costs less than white tempered glass. that's why no need top up, should deduct. mirror is not tempered so it's considered more dangerous as it is more fragile and can scratch after breaking.

Hi all,

may I know the if I get black glass backing, is it tinted as in the whole glass is black or just painted black behind?

Please advise,thanks.

Just painted black at the back or any other colour u like.

Very nice kitchen. :)

Haiz, hopefully it won't break. I wana do glass backing as well. But my hb keeps saying that other pple sae will break. And i very headache.

yaya/// :rolleyes: it looks nice

hihi..

i am not sure as mine is a package. but u can check with different contractors to compare the pricing by feet. we did the entire kitchen top. and our id also kindly throw in a small piece at the washing machine area for free just to look swee.

u can get from your contractor or source on your own if other contractor offers a lower price. ;)

Hi diva79,

I am also looking for such for my kitchen.. ok to PM me your quote? even it is package quote ; )

Thanks!

Well, try not to go for glass if the backing is going to be behind the cooking stove.

I did mine that way thinking that glass would be easier to clean.

It is easier to clean. And the look was also very beautiful!

BUT it cannot stand the heat from heavy cooking.

The whole thing broke during one of my heavy cooking session one day two months into my living in the home.

Lucky thing the glass is tempered!

End up have to spend another thousand dollars to replace it with stainless steel!

Don't be too believing when people tell you stainless steel is difficult to maintain.

As long as you clean up after each cooking session, it will still look good as new even after years of usage.

Mine is 2 years old and it still looks as good as the day I installed it.

Just read your sharing on this..

Hmm.. so dangerous!!

Our family does quite heavy cooking ..

By the way, you have kitchen wall with tiles prior your installation of tampered glass then?