Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
big orange

Bedok Central

I think its going to be very basic. I'm going to assume some prices.

Homo tiling Living room + walkway: 1500

Lamination 3 rooms: 1200

Kitchen: 2000

Painting:800

Electrical: 0 No false ceiling, dun pull any lighting points just pure installation of lights at given points

Haulage: 1000

Random items (curbs, kitchen + washing machine concrete base): 200

Shower doors: 500

Air-con (2 split): 2000

$8700

Hey its possible! but need a lot of coordination work yourself and no hacking of walls, no false ceilings, no tv console etc

I always wondered is haulage so expensive? Mine was $1K too but I read in this forum (DSA thread)...the town council service is at most $400 plus?

Give up the shower doors too...save $500

washing machine base don't need, fridge base maybe, but can also make do with $20 4 pieces of concrete blocks that I had been using at my old house.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
I always wondered is haulage so expensive? Mine was $1K too but I read in this forum (DSA thread)...the town council service is at most $400 plus?

washing machine base don't need, fridge base maybe, but can also make do with $20 4 pieces of concrete blocks that I had been using at my old house.

Hi Ryan,

I call town council for 4 room flat, the Haulage is $168.

But the sand, I purchase from Mr. lim (you can get his no. from the lift) for $850, I keep barginnng.... :( but that the best he can give...

They say SAND is very expensive now!!! what do you think? :dunno::furious:

hahaha, actually i dun like durian, so blurer23 dun expect mi to even touch them wor...i haven decide on ID leh...no one actually 100% i like...

sos, you got PM

darcbleu, 'Can consider Defong. My reno almost done, minus all the cabinets. BO is also considering him. He is visiting me on Friday night. Intrested, pm me.

Raayn, yup package is sometiems good. But usally some catch is always there....many things like lighting and other stuff not in it. At least add another 30% to the cost. 15K for a basic reno is still possible.

Edited by cohiers

I see haulage similar as triad's "bao hu fei". You wanna do reno, better pay respect to the authorised pple.

Kitchen base confirm need, else cannot wash floor without flooding the cupboards. Think washer need base cos they want dryer (Stack up). Need to be more stable. Since not yet hit budget of 10K. Better add in other necesscities as well.

Electrical: 0 No false ceiling, dun pull any lighting points just pure installation of lights at given points

Storage Heater: 245 poh joo (ask them for help in installation) - alternatively can buy 1 electric heater and forgo hot water in 1 toilet.

Hob: think 300 is enough, forgo the hood save 200

Kitchen Sink+ Tap: 200

Light: Ikea => 4 round lights for bomb shelter, service yard, toilet*2 => 67.6

Normal Rectangular florescent lights: 5 (becos living rm need 2) => 300 When they come, pester them to help to install the other lights as well in toilet.

Total: $9513

Dint know that its actually possible but its going to take a lot of work coordinating. Just assuming the prices, might be over/understating some of the items.

Edited by isc90152

Wow so many pages liao .. had not been here for a while .. company restructuring .. kena lotsa things to do...

Welcome new Linear Green members.

And for those doing reno all the best enjoy the process...

Can i go your house and eat durian? :sport-smiley-004:

Hi BO,

Sure, no need bring durian just buy Mcdonals fries can already.... :notti:

But currently, my house still having reno, quite dusty and nothing much to see, can check with darcbleu cos he just went up with my ID last weekend. :unsure:

But by next week, everything should be done up. I will PM you once its done. Btw, I had added you to my msn. :D

Anyway, this friday morning, my air con man is coming to fix up the air con, and I will be there, if you want come, just PM me.

Edited by blurer23

Hi Ryan,

I call town council for 4 room flat, the Haulage is $168.

But the sand, I purchase from Mr. lim (you can get his no. from the lift) for $850, I keep barginnng.... :( but that the best he can give...

They say SAND is very expensive now!!! what do you think? :dunno::furious:

Try to keep bargain or ask you ID tok to them, my Haulage was charge $800 after my ID tok to them. :deal:

Can i ask how much do they charge for ur relocation of

1) power point?

2) scv point?

3) lighting point?

4) installation charges?

Thanks in advance.

Hi SOS:

My quote

1) power point? $30 per point.

2) scv point? $110 per point.

3) lighting point? $35 per light.

4) installation charges? $10 for downlight.

Think some is quite expensive. :unsure:

Wow so many pages liao .. had not been here for a while .. company restructuring .. kena lotsa things to do...

Relax... more bonus for you.. heee.. we overtake jurong west thread liaoz..can we OT jalanmebina and TPY thread?

Hi SOS:

My quote

1) power point? $30 per point.

2) scv point? $110 per point.

3) lighting point? $35 per light.

4) installation charges? $10 for downlight.

Think some is quite expensive. :unsure:

Yes. Quite lehz.s

Storage Heater: 245 poh joo (ask them for help in installation) - alternatively can buy 1 electric heater and forgo hot water in 1 toilet.

Hob: think 300 is enough, forgo the hood save 200

Kitchen Sink+ Tap: 200

Light: Ikea => 4 round lights for bomb shelter, service yard, toilet*2 => 67.6

Normal Rectangular florescent lights: 5 (becos living rm need 2) => 300 When they come, pester them to help to install the other lights as well in toilet.

Total: $9513

Hi all,

thank you for your inputs. i am trying to cut paste all replies and slowly read and digest. :notti:

may i ask, if it is advisable i do my own painting? save $800. quite a bountiful in my terms.

should i get all sub contractors? or go with the reno package? if reno package does it mean ID? b'cos i dont think i can afford ID or am willing to loan so much,for now. :dunno:

should i get all sub contractors? or go with the reno package? if reno package does it mean ID? b'cos i dont think i can afford ID or am willing to loan so much,for now. :dunno:

Sorry, I forgot to add painting for you. Painting is a super siong job for people who are not used to it. I think you should get sub-contractors & cut the middlemen if you have the time.

Hi Raayn, I will be bold & direct: My first intuition on your intended budget to finance the list of required renovation works is.......... Jack Neo's latest feature film. It's a great film by the way. Moreover, it seems that you are unsure of the costs and the details of the renovation works required. For eg: laminated floor? Do u mean parquet floor? Parquet floors requires maintenance & is unlikely to be robust & lasting as homogenous tiles. What is the durability factor of laminates? Laminate floors are considered to be very low-maintenance when compared to wood floors. Unlike natural wood, laminate floors do not require waxing, oiling or staining. It is important to keep laminate clean, as dust, dirt and sand particles may scratch the decorative surface over time in high-traffic areas. It is also important to keep laminate relatively dry, since sitting water/moisture can cause the planks to swell, warp, etc, though some brands are equipped with water-resistant coatings. Water spills aren't a problem if they're wiped up quickly and not allowed to sit for a prolonged period of time.

Electrical points? That's so vague. The devil is in the details. And we want no devils in the renovation process of our most exorbitant asset. I find many young couples these days focus on the beauty, look & design when it comes to renovation of their abode. All of which are perfectly reasonable. But what about durability? Build quality? Maintenance? Associated costs? Things that can't be seen can be more important than those which are visible prima facie.

A quick query: Have u done a spreadsheet nailing down the exact & detailed specifications of the renovation works required? With their corresponding costings from at least 3 suppliers? Your research have to start somewhere, u know?

One thing is as certain as death & taxes: Everyone exceeds their renovation budget. Everyone. Thus my concern is what is your contingency plan when the $10k cash is depleted? The situation of cash out will be very frustrating so it is best avoided at all costs. Borrowing from financial institutions is a no-no: There is an industry joke we have in banks on extending loans - we lend to people who don't need them. LOL!

A traditional Chinese custom that I subscribe to is parents lending or giving a sum of money to their children when they set up their own family. Of course, this is premised on the presumption that parents are getting by alright. Not a probable if they themselves are not doing well. When we grow old, must have 四老: 老伴,老本,老友,老康。

U wanna save painting costs? Get your necks ready to be strained & cranked. :P U will need ladders, poles, brushes, rollers. Moreover, $800 gets the cheapest emulsion paint, not the premium paints. mud3210 did her own painting, perhaps she may be willing to offer some ground advice to you. She is one of the two I know who did more research than I did. The other being KastleKonfusion. Of course, there are tons of others who did immense research but not known to me lah.

Engaging vendors directly will definitely save you a tidy sum - the costs will be in the form of time, coordination & efforts and frustration. Heck! Ask any flat owner whose house has gone thru a renovation process whether they experience no frustration, you'll get the idea. And since there is no HR to oversee the renovation project, you will have to refer to vendors directly whenever you encounter a problem or the item malfunctions - no one number to call for assistance. And there are vendors who are not keen to provide after-sales service since to them, it's only a time job, one time fee, one time earning. There is no incentive for them to provide after-sales support or service. Therefore, if you intend to engage vendors directly, be sure to shortlist those who are intent on providing good after-sales service/support.

In short, my advice to you is do as much as research as you & your spouse can afford to. And decide on the must-haves and the good-to-haves. And also the issues/problems you do not wish to encounter plus your solutions if such issues/problems really occur. And that sometimes cost is not everything. Because there is almost no certain way of gauging the quality of the product until it is completed. Thus the all-important step of inspecting previous projects done by the HR. Cēterīs paribus, cost and quality are not always compatible - they may very well be mutually exclusive. Of course, that is not to say one can't have reasonable quality at low cost but low cost definitely bring about certain problems. So the question is whether the buyer/user can live with such problems.

Edited by DSA

Wow, DSA. Very direct indeed. I painted my room once and it was super siong... and I did a lousy job in the end. Not worth the effort in my opinion.

Well, my ID quote me $600 for the painting while the paints we supplied to them (my aunt is in the paint shop biz, so got free paints from her). If we were to use the paints supplied from the contractor, it will be $1,200. Very expensive lor. We painted the house with the help of hubby's KPT 'khakis', spent 1½ weekends and got it done. Very satisfied with the works indeed. But got to buy the khakis dinner but still worth it and most importantly, they enjoyed it. Haha...

Wow, DSA. Very direct indeed. I painted my room once and it was super siong... and I did a lousy job in the end. Not worth the effort in my opinion.

Raayn,

Actually your budget of $10K is not very realistic unless you do a lot of DIY yourself as well as bare minimum renovation. From what I can see you did not even include other essentials like beddings, kitchen sink, cooker hood & hob, fridge, washing machine, aircon, wardrobe, lightings, re-wiring, sofa, tables, etc. Do take note that if you want to include these essential items, it will balloon up easily to @ least $15K to $20K. It all depends on what you want & what you need.

From what I gather from my own research of IDs & quotations, the big ticket items for any renovation are the flooring & carpentry works. I also understand that you are still financing tour study loan. My preposition to you is to live with FOC HDB cement screeding for your house, get a decent wardrobe from the neighbourhood shop, get a decent quote for just the kitchen cabinets and electrical points cum lightings, buy 2nd hand for fridge, cooker hood & hob, washing machine, sofa, tables, etc, survive with just fan instead of aircon.....then it will fall below $10K. Mocca & Cold Storage is a good source to search for 2nd hand stuffs, especially from those expats that have to leave the country & they are "dumping" their stuffs cheaply. Most importantly, some of their items for sale are even cheaper than cash convertors but much newer. Then after both of you finish financing your study loan, you can give new live to your house by doing a major renovation then.

Else, try to source for our non-interest bearing forms of loan from relatives, friends or parents like wat DSA states.

As for your painting, Nippon charges about $1.3K for painting your 4 room house which is inclusive of paint and colour scheme consultation. As Nippon also sub-contract this to the neighbourhood paintshop, you can go directly to them and get about $200 off. But take note that the neighbourhood paintshop will not provide the color scheme consulation.

http://www.nipponpaint.com.sg/downloads/PPS_V10_booklet.pdf

Whichever way you choose, remember that wants are unlimited and do weigh the pros & cons carefully.

:dunno:

Edited by frederick_chia