Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
big orange

Bedok Central

Err, if I follow his method, my tempered glass shower screen is @ risk lor..... so I'm can only fix a bi-fold or PD door that is fixed @ the other side. How much did you pay for your PD door? I also thought of taking out our service yard door & cannibalised it to replace the MBR toilet door, but the labour cost is also about $200, in addition to the risk that the service yard bi-fold door gets damage in the process of tearing it out. If it's damage, then I still have to source for another door in additional to the labour of tearing the service yard door, ie, $200 + $280. :dunno:

PD door can fix at the other side.. i m doing now.. i not too sure of the cost.. is the package.. but i think is 280 if i not wrong..

Call and check http://www.pddoor.com.sg.. they are the man..

For bi-fold door, my parent hse installed 2 doors for 220(so 1 is onli 110) i think.. i ask them and c they still gt the contact a nt...

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

PD Door base price is $288 and there is additional charge if there's other requirements such as glass panels or multi-coloured acrylic panels. The price list is posted on PDdoor.com. The downside of installed PD Door at the entrance of the master toilet is that the swing will eat into the rectangular space which can be & should be optimised for storage purposes. That is the 2nd reason I chose a bifold one; the first being cost effectiveness.

I'm more prone to getting the vertical model, but on the other hand, I'm thinking whether it is important to have the temperature control knob that is only available in horizontal models whereas the vertical model is preset to 65 degrees C.
I think u have inadvertently swapped the ability to set temperature in the two models le.

Joven vertical model has a control knob which allows temperature setting from ‘OFF’ to 70°C (Low - Medium - High). Under normal operation the thermostat cuts out at the set temperature - Low (about 40°C), Medium (about 55°C), High (about 70°C). When the hot water consumption is not in large volume, setting at Medium will minimise electrical consumption.

The horizontal model has a built-in thermostat which is pre-set at 65°C to provide maximum hot water, ready for immediate use.

Picture Time!

JVA25-New.jpg JH25.jpg

JVA25 JH25

I chose the horizontal model and had it installed in the location depicted in the previous pic as the vertical model is longer than the flanking compartment and beams. The thermostat panel is sealed by a ABS plastic cover, thus rendering it rather inaccessible. I emailed Joven whether the thermostat is adjustable. I hope it is! 40°C is hot enough for showering right?

Edited by DSA

Hi, did you get the PD door or normal bi-fold? Did you also do it for the MBR toilet? How much? I got quote from Yontat for a normal bi-fold door @ $280. Also noticed that you have paid for your TV license. Think I will pay for mine only after my renovation and after I moved in.....hee hee

Hi frederick:

you can apply for your TV license now, and select which date you want to activate. Try to do it when you have the money. :notti:

I just apply mine yesterday, licence from 15 sep to end of the year and its cost me $30plus dollar. :(

Hi frederick:

you can apply for your TV license now, and select which date you want to activate. Try to do it when you have the money. :notti:

I just apply mine yesterday, licence from 15 sep to end of the year and its cost me $30plus dollar. :(

If I only move in @ the end of the year after all my shiftings & reno finishes, I'll save this $30plus dollar too mah right? :notti:

I think u have inadvertently swapped the ability to set temperature in the two models le.

Joven vertical model has a control knob which allows temperature setting from OFF to 70°C (Low - Medium - High). Under normal operation the thermostat cuts out at the set temperature - Low (about 40°C), Medium (about 55°C), High (about 70°C). When the hot water consumption is not in large volume, setting at Medium will minimise electrical consumption.

The horizontal model has a built-in thermostat which is pre-set at 65°C to provide maximum hot water, ready for immediate use.

Picture Time!

JVA25-New.jpg JH25.jpg

JVA25 JH25

I chose the horizontal model and had it installed in the location depicted in the previous pic as the vertical model is longer than the flanking compartment and beams. The thermostat panel is sealed by a ABS plastic cover, thus rendering it rather inaccessible. I emailed Joven whether the thermostat is adjustable. I hope it is! 40°C is hot enough for showering right?

Paiseh about the confusion of the 2 models. The vertical model is the one with the temperature control. My wife sort of reminded me that if the horizontal model thermostat cannot be adjusted, then we can control the mix of hot & cold water with our tap. Nevertheless, please update me on Joven's reply. Thanks!

Edited by frederick_chia

If I only move in @ the end of the year after all my shiftings & reno finishes, I'll save this $30plus dollar too mah right? :notti:

Paiseh about the confusion of the 2 models. The vertical model is the one with the temperature control. My wife sort of reminded me that if the horizontal model thermostat cannot be adjusted, then we can control the mix of hot & cold water with our tap. Nevertheless, please update me on Joven's reply. Thanks!

Mine is like that

p1010855yp3.th.jpg

I've always felt that DSA and a few other members in this thread have provided LG members here with a lot of insight. For a reno noob like me, I have indeed learnt a lot. Of coz, I also gather information from my own form of research and for talking to friends who are already home-owners to get some tips.

I don't think one should take DSA's comments personally becoz his posts are there to actually help one to be more realistic. After sitting through with various renovators, I have come to realize that actually, more often than now, I am caught between being practical vs wanting a dream design.

So Raayn, ultimately, you have to ask yourself what are your plans. ie. Do you foresee yourself staying long-term in this place, even when you have kids in future. If so, then you can afford to decorate your place bit by bit. Some of the members here have posted some sample pricing for you. While it may seem possible, but you must also be aware of this phrase "一分钱一分货" This industry is so competitive that sometimes, it's just impossible for renovators to mark up too high becoz they know the characteristics of Singaporeans. We are so kiasu and hate to be 'cheated' and will do all the research we can on pricing just to get the best deal.

So, you have to understand, if you want good quality floor tiles or good quality kitchen cabinets, you have to be prepared to pay more. For myself, my hubby and I sat down to discuss what are important for us and what are 'wants only'. And then we will decide which to spend more on.

DSA also made a very good point there I feel. And that's no one ever keeps within their budget. There's bound to be some stuff you missed out on. So always buff up your budget. To be on the safe side, keep more than 5k extra to cater. I know this question may seem a bit unnecessary but just out of curiosity, "Since you guys are still young and have loans etc to pay off, why did you all decide to commit to purchasing a unit?"

The reason why I'm asking this becoz I wanna stress that financial planning is very important. When we were young, our idea of financial planning is to set aside some savings and maybe to give our parents some money every month, maybe settle study loans or some instalments like a laptop or TV. But as you grow older, you'll realize that you'll have more things to be concerned about such as wedding, housing and eventually kids.

These things have to be thought through. A lot of us fall into the traps of being in loans. Not that it's a bad thing but it builds so much on your burden. To the extent, when I see some of my ex-colleagues holding on frantically to their jobs coz they cannot afford to lose them, otherwise, how will they finance all their loans? My hubby always make this joke and that is ... the cars and housing you see in Singapore don't belong to the people at all, they all belong to the banks! And that is very true.

So, my dear, think it through, if you feel that you still can hold off renovation for a while, then do so. Another alternative, do really basic renovation, consider to rent it out (if there is no urgency to move in), then once you have the money from rental, you can then proceed to build your dream house. 一步一步来 ... ...

Edited by cacky

Raayn: In response to your question earlier about the difference from laminate flooring and marble. This is what I've gathered after sitting through with different renovators. Coz' initially, I wanted laminate wood flooring for my whole house.

Coz I was exploring Kronotex. I like the idea of a wooden floor, makes the place look cosy. Here's sharing with you what I think about laminate wood lah ... if you wanna get, I suggest only get the good brands. The cheaper ones are being made in China. And at the place I am staying, it's also using laminate wood from China. My experience is that I encountered scratches and dents.

As for water ... I don't feel it. But when you clean the floor, you have to handle it with care. You cannot simply use a mop and just wipe it with detergent, it'll somehow leave stains. As for the warp bit, it's true if you have water on it and only if you don't take care of the wetness and leave it there. But if you remove it immediately, it shouldn't be a problem. Please take note that this is different from parquet/wooden flooring. It actually is considered a cheaper alternative to parquet/wooden flooring. Except the technology behind it is different. Of coz parquet/wooden is much better, that's why it's much more expensive.

But I was told that to the laymen, they don't really see much of the difference, that's why it's more practical to go for the cheaper alternative, which is wooden laminate. Another thing is ... if you're considering selling your house in future, not everyone takes to wooden laminate flooring, unless you are referring to just your bedrooms. The reason why people use wooden laminates for their bedrooms is coz a lot of condos these days do that and it simulates a kinda warm and cosy feeling inside the rooms.

In terms of maintenance and practicality, homogeneous tiles are still the easiest to maintain, I feel. As for marble, I didn't do research on it so I can't comment but becoz it's so expensive, I would imagine that in future, should you decide to sell it, you might have problems coz' your selling price has to be higher and also not everyone likes marble flooring. Another thing to consider is ... homo flooring does make the flooring colder. So imagine when you get out of bed in the morning in an air-con room, if you use homo flooring, your feet will feel cold as they touch the ground. But if you use wooden laminate, it definitely won't be as cold. Think of practicality and usability, that's what I always advocate.

It's your own needs that should determine what kinda materials you should use for your house.

Hi fellow LGers,

I have 2 questions here that I'd like to have your opinions on:

1. Instant heaters vs Storage heaters - Hubby and I are still pretty undecided as to which to pick. I really don't like the idea of the big drum thing stored in the common bathroom. I was told that this is the only place where we can put the storage heater, and not in the service yard. Yet I was also told that instant heaters will have piping everywhere which might be ugly. Okay, that's for design aspect. What about usage aspect? Can I have a feel of the pros and cons for using instant heaters or storage heaters please?

2. PD Door vs Bi-Fold door - Like some of you here, we have also decided to change our MBR door. But we like to go for a uniform look as the other doors in the other rooms (ie. the wooden feel), I was told that if we do a PD door, the frame of the PD door have to use aluminium, so even if I get a wooden PD door, I have to use aluminium framing (which is not nice). What about a bi-fold door with a wooden material? Anyone tried that yet? Or are there any alternatives???

Edited by cacky

In term of cost saving, instant heater is more power saving.

As for the PD door, it actually up to your design concept. As for wooden material in bathroom? mm.. i prefer something which is waterproof. My idea is keep the common toilet door and change MBR to bi-fold/PD .

Roughly i have some ideas on how to do and what to do for my reno. But i need a good master to orchestrate the whole process. I dun be doing anything or much for my 2 common rooms.

The basic configuration of my proposed design will be

1. Homo tiles (whole) or living room (homo) + bedroom (AC5 laminate) w/ wood skirting

2. Air con (sys 3 or sys 4)

3. Curtain for whole house.

4. *optional* window grills.

5. BR3 will be fully white light.

6. switch will be change to lengard (colored) or eslicp (the blue LED).

7. minimum trunking

8. cozy color in living room (matching for all rooms)

Living room & dinning area

1. one long false ceiling (with minimum light points)

2. 2 side of cove light.

3. TV console & feature wall (black mirror) at short wall.

4. clear mirror behind sofa

5. chandelier light at dinning area

6. Dinning area wall is whole pc of black mirror.

7. Shoe cabinet with *optional*top cupboard to put (ladies accessories, watch, tie, cuff link)

Kitchen & service yard

1. 2 sides kitchen cabinet w/ soft close system.

2. service yard window

MBR & Master bathroom

1. Built in wardrobe

2. chandelier light

3. Change bi fold/PD door for bathroom

4. Shower-screen (glass door)

5. Granite Vanity top with new basin + tap + mirror

6. Simple accessories

Common Bathroom

1. shower-screen curtain. -> prepare for kids, because they might need more space to move.

2. Install water heater storage.

3. mirror

BR2 - Guest Room

1. Leave it empty 1st.

2. should be buying bed frame and wardrobe

BR3 - Multi propose Room

1. Will hang my wife punching bag (not me hor!)

2. A comfort relax chair (something like lazyboy) or those empress sit one lah. So can surf my net and do my research.

3. maybe buy a nice console to put mini sound system (should be an onyko)

4. A study table/chair

HHS

*optional* tempted to do warehousing racking system.

Actually do very little, but it a bit too detail on all things. Looking forward for the new challenge!!! YIPPE! :sport-smiley-003:

Edited by big orange

I have 2 questions here that I'd like to have your opinions on:

1. Instant heaters vs Storage heaters - Hubby and I are still pretty undecided as to which to pick. I really don't like the idea of the big drum thing stored in the common bathroom. I was told that this is the only place where we can put the storage heater, and not in the service yard. Yet I was also told that instant heaters will have piping everywhere which might be ugly. Okay, that's for design aspect. What about usage aspect? Can I have a feel of the pros and cons for using instant heaters or storage heaters please?

2. PD Door vs Bi-Fold door - Like some of you here, we have also decided to change our MBR door. But we like to go for a uniform look as the other doors in the other rooms (ie. the wooden feel), I was told that if we do a PD door, the frame of the PD door have to use aluminium, so even if I get a wooden PD door, I have to use aluminium framing (which is not nice). What about a bi-fold door with a wooden material? Anyone tried that yet? Or are there any alternatives???

IH and SH, is depend on whether u need hot water for your basin tap a nt and of cos the cost of yr electrical bills(that will depend on yr famil size and hw often u using it). If not instant heater is a gd choice. :).. For the ugly pipings, will onli appear if u install it on top of the bathroom door/service yard. If u install it at the shower area.. den its ok..Storage heater might required longer time to heat up -- abt min 5 mins... some people say joven brand can store their hot water til nxt day.. don noe true a nt.. IS will be u need to purchase 2 if both bath room need to have hot water bath...

PD Door and Bi-fold door will be not much of a diff.. Diff is PD door can keep it door 'nicer'.. .. better don take wooden door for bathroom(u should understand wood vs water theory).. lolz..btw PD doors gt a few designs to choose from(some of them are quite nice if nt u can choose a colour that match the wooden door?).. as for normal usage, bi-fold door is good enough.(Ard 80 - 100 bucks cheaper).. but i think its noiser..

I don have techincally knowledge on all these.. but i guess its hw they cater to our needs... and will be easier to decide what to buy .. if not will be real headache on decision making... :)

Edited by yokoyoko

In term of cost saving, instant heater is more power saving.

As for the PD door, it actually up to your design concept. As for wooden material in bathroom? mm.. i prefer something which is waterproof. My idea is keep the common toilet door and change MBR to bi-fold/PD .

Actually, depending on the usage pattern of the heaters, a storage heater can have cost savings too. First of all, the price of 1 storage heater is cheaper than 2 instant heater. Secondly, if you bath very often using the heater everyday, say abt 4 times per pax or have a lot of people in your family, I believe the total power consumption should the same to heating up a 35L storage tank.

As for the PD door or bi-fold door, there are wood grain designs, but of cos it's more expensive than the normal ones. I got quotation for wood grain designed PD door for abt $500 (but I think I will just go for a simple one).

Hi Guys,

Today, I make an appt with the PD door personnel, they will be assembling my MBR bi-fold door next sat.

FYI, there a be a bit protruding by about 5mm based on what my eyes see because of the aluminium frame. I will post pictures after the installation.

Big Orange: I am not so worried about the wooden door being waterproof etc. Coz I believe they should be able to withstand the moisture, otherwise, why would HDB have that in the first place? There must be some reason why wooden doors are built in toilets.

yokoyoko: So from what you're saying ... if it's just the 2 of us, we might be better off with instant heaters, eh? Again, I don't quite believe the water vs wood theory. Plus the bathroom has windows to ventilate off the water moisture. Maybe becoz I'm quite particular. I like to be consistent. I find it weird to have a whole house of wooden doors and then all of a sudden, a door made of acryllic. I really detest those plastic type of bi-fold doors or PD doors. Coz I've been using them for years and I really think they are not very reliable.

frederick_chia: Thanks for the tip on the woodgrain PD door, think that might be a good idea. Question is ... do they come with aluminium framing?

yokoyoko: So from what you're saying ... if it's just the 2 of us, we might be better off with instant heaters, eh? Again, I don't quite believe the water vs wood theory. Plus the bathroom has windows to ventilate off the water moisture. Maybe becoz I'm quite particular. I like to be consistent. I find it weird to have a whole house of wooden doors and then all of a sudden, a door made of acryllic. I really detest those plastic type of bi-fold doors or PD doors. Coz I've been using them for years and I really think they are not very reliable.

erm.. i m using storage myself for this new unit.. hahah.. i mean stating de diff btw de 2 heaters that cater to one needs.. :).. i try storage cos i neber try before.. n my friend using joven n he say pretty ok but they gt 4 ppl so quite exp in term of bills...

As for the wooden door frame.. i neber c before.. so cant give comments.. maybe like choose a colour close to wood feel to improve?? if nt i think yr contractor/id can help in this area... :) Bi-fold n pd doors might look unreliable when using.. look flimsy.. but should be ok ba.. cos a lot of ppl using.. n doesnt seem to have prob.. maybe if i unlucky.. den too bad... haha