Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
big orange

Bedok Central

HDB clamps down on illegal subletting

By H88

Showing that they mean business, HDB will repossess a flat that had been illegally rented out.

The 4rm flat at Blk 336 Bukit Batok Street 32 belonging to a registered real estate agent was rented out to 3 Burmese couples without HDB's approval for $1,900 a month. It was bought in 2007 for $150,000 in cash (so cheap!?) and now roughly worth $320,000 based on recently transacted prices. HDB however will return the owner $150,000 (the original price) less penalties which was not specified.

Although the owner might have missed out on potential capital gains, it might not have been a loss making venture if the penalties are not too severe - considering the owner already pocketed roughly $45,600 in rental if it was rented out for the full 2 years.

And for those wondering what kind of annual yield this translates to, it is a staggering 15.2% annual return on investment ($1,900 x 12 / $150,000).

It was also reported that the owner was connected to two other cases of subletting, either acting as the housing agent to illegally sublet flats or collecting rent for flats owned by relatives. HDB will be seizing these two other flats as well.

The best part? The owner, a registered housing agent claims that he did not know HDB approval is needed for subletting, or that flat owners need to wait 3 years before they are eligible to sublet the whole flat.

HDB has also taken action against 56 other errant owners (out of ~1,000,000 flats in Singapore?) between January 2008 and December 2009 and fining them between $1,000 and $21,000 (peanuts if the owners were yielding as much as the highlighted case). If this news really make errant owners think twice before illegally subletting, we suspect this might cause rental prices to climb.

So what are you waiting for? Call 1800-5556370 (HDB Hotline) to report any "suspected cases" now and see if that nasty neighbor of yours can still flash his new beemer around your HDB car park!

FYI Maximum number of subtenants allowed in HDB flats:

1 & 2rm: 4 people

3rm: 6 people

4rm and larger: 9 people

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi all...

I have not been here for quite a while but i do scan this forums once in a while

I have a few questions to ask you guys for opinion

1st: can i please have the email add for our linear green facebook?

2: i have discovered that ants seem to live in the wooden doors of my flat.

I found one nest in the toilet door and i changed it to a plastic door.

Now the ants seem to have migrated to my small bedroom door.

I have a few friends who live in this estate also and they have encountered ant problems too.

Any one has similiar problems?

Can i get HDB to come change doors???

Do advice

Hi,

I just collected my keys to a new 4-room unit in Bedok Central. So happen to see a thread on my new neighbourhood and would like to have some renovation idea from those who already move in.

I am trying to build a wall feature or just a TV console on the shorter side of the living room. The short side is only about 1.5m. I am cracking my head how to place a TV on that side. Anyone who has done this, pls advise me?

Can i get HDB to come change doors???
That depends on how you are able to twist & wrangle HDB's arm into admitting that Surbana, the architect appointed by HDB, made an unpardonable faux pas in using Semi-Solid Timber Door With Laminate Finish for Bath/WC, supplied by CHNG WOODWORKING PTE LTD, at an area where water will cause bloat damage to the seams of the timber door.

And also timber for the skirting. In the hands of low-skilled China Construction workers, the application of the timber panel skirting results in hollowness. Just take a chopstick & tap on various points of the skirting - they will sound different due to the pockets of air embedded between the timber panel & the wall. The air pockets are the PERFECT nesting grounds for ants & other insects, such as rice weevils.

HDB will rectify architectural and structural defects within the 1 year defect liability period which commences on the date of sale. During the one-year DLP, HDB will rectify defects in the flat reported by the flat owner. Please note that defects arising from the flat owner's renovation works or usage are not covered by the DLP.

Welcome Party @ Linear Green

Type: Party - House Party

Date: Saturday, 17 April 2010

Time: 16:00 - 19:00

Street: Bedok Central

Linear Green RC is organizing a Community Party to welcome residents of Linear Green @ Bedok Central to their new home.

The party will be held on 17 Apr 2010 (Sat) from 4.00 pm - 7.00 pm.

Exciting activities such as stage performances, interactive games and free snacks are in store for all residents of Linear Green @ Bedok Central.

Residents can take this opportunity to mingle with theirs neighbours and enjoy a sumptuous buffet dinner with family, friends & neighbours!

We look forward to seeing you and your family!

Organized by Linear Green Welcome Party Committee

Hi all,

I am not too sure if you noticed but the drain at the first level of MSCP block 220 is badly blocked and it has flooded for the past 2 - 3 days. Not sure if it has been cleared yesterday...

Dear Linear Green Residents, this is an broadcast message of great importance to the well-being, health & safety of all Linear Greeners.

There is confirmed & verified empirical evidence gathered on the ground that Linear Green is infested with mosquitoes.

I bitter mouth grandma heart urge each & every Linear Greener to exercise utmost daily caution and protect themselves & their loved ones, esp babies, toddlers & kids from such wretched insects.

Please spare just 10 mins to mount a S&E effort within & outside your LG unit: Search & empty all traces of stagnant water that are bigger than a 10 cent coin.

A good [for the expecting female mosquito but bad for humans] example is the saucer that serves as a base for potted plants, which is an excellent catchment container for stagnant water which is the 2nd love of mosquitoes whose 1st love is human blood which can be easily infected by malaria, dengue & any other blood-based infection and diseases.

So look out for potted plants on & below the floor you reside, from the end to which your unit is connected to the other end, including the rubbish chute area.

Check for any traces of water larger than a 10 cent coin. Empty the tray or container.

Or better!

Inform the owner of the potted plants that mosquitoes are trespassing onto their potted plants and they're illegal squatters who ain't paying any rent to them - well, we know some Singaporeans hate losing out on money-making opportunities so this reason should work on them.

PS: Title to all areas outside your LG unit resides with HDB & and ECTC is the official agent to perform management of such non-lessee areas.

As such, HDB can instruct ECTC to remove any object that is occupying these non-lessee areas.

Dengue, malaria & other diseases transmitted by female mosquitoes pose grave fatal danger to humans for if any of these female mosquitoes were to feed on someone who is not infected by malaria and/or dengue fever virus but merely a carrier, the female mosquito can transmit the virus to the next person she feasts upon.

QuickView of Info sheet on Aedes mosquitoes & the various diseases which can be transmitted by mosquitoes. PDF version.

For those Linear Greeners who have experienced mosquitoes stings in their own residence, it'd be good to state your block & floor so that the info can be useful to NEA who will deploy mozzies hunters who can descend upon the block & attempt to trace down these insects which produces extremely irritating buzzing noises & other life-threatening diseases.

Hi,

I just collected my keys to a new 4-room unit in Bedok Central. So happen to see a thread on my new neighbourhood and would like to have some renovation idea from those who already move in.

I am trying to build a wall feature or just a TV console on the shorter side of the living room. The short side is only about 1.5m. I am cracking my head how to place a TV on that side. Anyone who has done this, pls advise me?

Hi Toyshop.

Will be nicer if u can extend the feature wall out(u will need to gauge urself) from the short wall for yr TV. y don u put it on the other wall?

I am not too sure if you noticed but the drain at the first level of MSCP block 220 is badly blocked and it has flooded for the past 2 - 3 days. Not sure if it has been cleared yesterday...
Well, instead of wondering, why not call the mobile number of the cleaner assigned to Blk 220A? His number is listed on the notice pinned on the block notice board beside the lift. Edited by DSA

Hi Toyshop.

Will be nicer if u can extend the feature wall out(u will need to gauge urself) from the short wall for yr TV. y don u put it on the other wall?

Hi yokoyoko,

unfortunately if I place the TV on the long side of the wall, I will be facing the laundry of the service yard diagonally across me all the time.

I am thinking of extending the feature wall out. Like to have some idea from the forum if possible because I am looking to engage a contractor, not an ID, to save some money.

I am thinking of extending the feature wall out. Like to have some idea from the forum if possible because I am looking to engage a contractor, not an ID, to save some money.
You can post the floor plan of your unit so that Linear Greeners can visualize the view u are getting coz there are three types of 4 roomers = 87 m², 94 m² and 97 m² in Linear Green, in addition to 1 type of 3 roomers, 1 type of 5 roomers.

Or u can just knock on the door of your neighbour on the other end whose unit occupies the same floor area as yours & SING a joy-inducing hello!

Edited by DSA

Hi yokoyoko,

unfortunately if I place the TV on the long side of the wall, I will be facing the laundry of the service yard diagonally across me all the time.

ya, you can extend the wall out, can make it 2.0-2.5inch thick. behind the extension, better to do a downlight or light that can shine into that corner, otherwise that corner will be pretty dark.

HDB clamps down on illegal subletting

this kind is surely neighbour complain de, otherwise HDB won't have such wide ears to know. Sad to say, even though neighbours may not know each other, but when it comes to renting out, some pple can get pretty busybody.

Any Linear Greeners using Singnet 10 Mbps plan to do BTing?

Wanna find out the performance leh before re-contracting with Singnet.....

Hi yokoyoko,

Hi, don worry too much, renovating yr new home is fun! in a way.. :P

There are many designs on the ID firm websites.. u can also consider consulting a few IDs, get their quotation and compare with contractor's quote not all contractors are cheaper.. or to draw a design for u.. of cos u can don have engage them.. oopps... bad customer

or like wat DSA mentioned, u can make some friends... or ask friends that have just done up their flats recently...

n it would be gd if u can spend some time in this forum doing research.. veri useful at least to me...

Enjoy! ;)