Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
xaleysan

How To Get Rid Of Those Flying Insects Which Are Attracted To Light?

Hi,

whenever I on the lights at my new place at night, these flying insects which are attracted by light will come. There will be as much as 10-20 in my room. When I switch on all the lights in the living room, it's worse. After some time, like an hour or so, they stop flying and all stick on the walls or crawl on the floor.

Anyone encounter the same? How do I prevent them from coming? It's rather irritating. I don't see the same thing happening at all the places I have lived before. :dunno:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi,

whenever I on the lights at my new place at night, these flying insects which are attracted by light will come. There will be as much as 10-20 in my room. When I switch on all the lights in the living room, it's worse. After some time, like an hour or so, they stop flying and all stick on the walls or crawl on the floor.

Anyone encounter the same? How do I prevent them from coming? It's rather irritating. I don't see the same thing happening at all the places I have lived before. :dunno:

To prevent i have no idea, but to get them out of the house what we normally do is switch off all the lights in the house and open your main door wide so that they will be attracted to the corridors light. You might have to leave it open for an hour. Another way is to put a pool of water directly below the lights so that they will start to swim in them.

Hope this helps.

:notti:

Think you can get those insect-catcher light from those DIY stores, where it attaches the insects with the purple light and electrocute them.

Otherwise the pail of water under the lights will work fine; the insects will fly towards the other 'light' in the water reflection and get drowned in there...

I put a pail of water the other day, it took quite some time...and the flies did not "aim properly" and ended on the floor instead of in the water. And I do not want to put a pail of water in the middle of the room everyday. Perhaps I'll try the insect catcher.

Thanks! :notti:

Hi,

the old traditional way is to hang chillis on the light cover.

take chilli, sliced it opened and hang it up on the light cover.......it works!!!

did u try Baygon Vaporisor (the one which plug in to electricity)? I use this mainly for mozzies. but somehow, other insects also stopped flying in.

other alternative: how about installing insect screen?

s03.jpg

i received a flyer in my letterbox the other day on this product but have not used it.

Edited by latitude

hang chillis? This is interesting, the first time I heard of it, but can try, hehe.

I use the Baygon thingy for mosquitos in the past too, worked very well. Ok, will try it out too.

Thanks! :good:

i received a flyer in my letterbox the other day on this product but have not used it.

have checked with a few companies - cheapest is $9 per sqft.

end up DIY only my kitchen windows for less than $100

have checked with a few companies - cheapest is $9 per sqft.

end up DIY only my kitchen windows for less than $100

Mr Mace...cant find your t-blog...wanna ask u...how to use the 3M stainless steel cleaner??? sorry to tag onto this page..cos i cant locate u..hehe..thanks thanks

Mr Mace...cant find your t-blog...wanna ask u...how to use the 3M stainless steel cleaner??? sorry to tag onto this page..cos i cant locate u..hehe..thanks thanks

huh? just SPRAY like baygon :lol: it will leave a protective layer on the metal and not so easy to trap dirt/stain - future cleaning becomes easy.

Money $$$ Not $$$ Enough Blog in reno t-blog

huh? just SPRAY like baygon :lol: it will leave a protective layer on the metal and not so easy to trap dirt/stain - future cleaning becomes easy.

Money $$$ Not $$$ Enough Blog in reno t-blog

[/quote

i spray and white foam come out of the 3M cleaner...the instruction is i am to wipe it off till dry....which i did...

water stain still appear the next few days....

or should i spray and leave it there to disappear on its own? or use water to wash to residue away???

maybe you can switch on the dim light or orange light instead of white light in the house, think it works.

Edited by feb

actually the cheapest and hassle way is to fill a basin with water..don't have to be to be filled to the bream..

hold it near the light, a few CM away will do..they will kamikaze into the water.

sad to say you have to do it when they come again..

Proven....