Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
xaleysan

How To Get Rid Of Those Flying Insects Which Are Attracted To Light?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi I encounter the same problem. Worst off those fly in n stick to the ceiling, some dont even have wings. By the way u manage to get rid?

I also have this problem in the past, I also use the water method, but have to place it super near the light so they will fly directly to the water...
To a extent I actually use pesticides then after that sweep the floor.

I keep wanting to install the insects screen, anyone know how much it cost to do the whole house, 4 room flat?

Felt will be costly so use the cheaper methods.

The UV ight one, not very effective one, I buy one before.. disappointed...

I also have this problem in the past, I also use the water method, but have to place it super near the light so they will fly directly to the water...

To a extent I actually use pesticides then after that sweep the floor.

I keep wanting to install the insects screen, anyone know how much it cost to do the whole house, 4 room flat?

Felt will be costly so use the cheaper methods.

The UV ight one, not very effective one, I buy one before.. disappointed...

I bought DIY insect screen from Taobao (about $3 for a 2 panel window size, see the link in other thread). Quite easy to make. Quality wise acceptable but i guess those sold from shopes here should be better.

If the flies come from your balcony, mosquito mesh may not be suitable. What i observed is before it rains, they will flock into my house. I will normally switch off all lights inside the house leaving only the balcony lightings. In less than 10min, they will be attracted there, then to close the balcony door and i will switch off the light outside, they will somehow move to other place.

Please check your house throughly. We had this problem before. In the end we found out that these are related to termites. Our bedroom and bathroom are infested by termites. We get the pest control to get rid of it. They told us the light flies are related to the termites. And true enough, after that there's no more flies anymore. What a relief! :sport-smiley-018:

• Like 1

There are some cheap insect netting from the diy stores, it uses Velcro at the edges and can be stuck to any window area.

Hi there, just to check, if we have insect screens + window grills + curtain, will it look very bulky at the window area?

buy mosquite fibre mesh net (the one with tiny tiny hole) black or grey color $17++ 5x4", den buy Daiso magnet tape double adhesive tape (10mm x 3metre long) $2 each, 10mm x 5metre super strong double adhesive tape $1.50, apply at your room window, kitchen window, toilet window, door gate won't have fly insect coming your house. mosquite fibre mesh net can also wash.

those Velcro one lousy material $3.50++ won't last long.

i keen to get Insect screen with PVC tube installed on outside (corridor) from http://www.magneticinsectscreen.blogspot.sg/?gclid=CL3S_uvh-7wCFacF4god-QMA3w

Full Article from Renotalk Main Website:

https://www.renotalk.com/article/4-ways-to-get-rid-of-bugs-hovering-around-your-lights

Although the rainy season is providing us with a break from Singapore’s usual humidity, it does come with its own set of problems. For starters, many homeowners are noticing an increase in the number of bugs hovering around their lights at night. If this is an issue that’s particularly frustrating for you, these solutions listed below may be able to help.

1. Changing Your Bulbs

ff57b99cc25afa770f593e0c5a6cc185.jpg
The two factors you want to take most notice of are heat and brightness. The hotter and brighter a bulb is, the more bugs it attracts. Avoid buying bulbs with high wattage and those that use glowing filaments.

Like humans, insects can’t detect the entire spectrum of light. Colours like red, orange and yellow have wavelengths too high for them to see. Purchasing bulbs that emit yellow light will probably be your best bet -- yellow compact fluorescent lights (CFL) are perfect because they create more illumination but at a lower wattage.

Not a fan of yellow light? White LEDs are just as effective. Insects love ultraviolet (UV) light, something LEDs don’t emit, so chances are they’ll steer clear of most LED lights. However, make sure your LEDs aren’t anywhere close to 6,000 Kelvin (K) in temperature, because they’ll start to have a blue tint that bugs really love.

2. Homemade Heroes

773138c636186b122a35933816dc135a.jpg
Citronella candles have been known to chase away bugs, and they’re fairly easy to make from scratch. Simply follow these instructions, and in no time you’ll have your personal stash of candles to take out and use whenever a rainy day approaches. Place them under your lights and at entrances like windows and/or doors.

Garlic sprays are also pretty effective. All you’ll need to do is seep several close of garlic in hot water for 15 minutes then pour the mixture into a spray bottle. Spray it onto your bulbs every few days; when they’re turned on and heated up, it’ll emit a faint garlicky smell that drives bugs away.

3. Try Tinting

f35c6d85bffdebd92c376aa161af2c93.jpg
Try tinting the your windows if you really, really hate the idea of bugs flying into your home. This allows less light to shine through, and your house will appear darker from the outside that it really is, attracting less bugs than it normally would.

4. Call Pest Control

d2ebf776535463756535cc96f43e720c.jpg
Sometimes, these bugs come from inside your home. Have pest control conduct regular checks to ensure no nests are present. Also, de-clutter once in a while. Insects love dark, secluded corners which can be eliminated if you keep your home mess free.

Yesterday I had the pleasure of working with Southlake Pest Control and I couldn't be happier with the results. They were prompt, professional, and highly effective in eliminating the pests that were plaguing my home. Their team of technicians was extremely knowledgeable and was able to identify the source of the problem and take the necessary steps to eliminate it. They also provided me with helpful tips on how to prevent future infestations.