Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
stl67

Help On Re-construction Of A Corner Terrace

MY main contractor made a mistake during the surveyor work when drawing the boundary line. We were into the middle of the construction and out of the the blue, he told me that there is a violation of the LTA road guideline. The front boundary has to be setbacked by another meter. At this point as the foundation is already done and set, there is no choice but to sacrifice the living room. During the initial drawing stage, my instructions to the MC is that the front consisting of the living room and master bed room has to be big and the rest if smaller is ok. He also agreed with me that the living room must be long and wide as this will bring up the house.

This week when I went to look at the house, I was utterly disapointed by the floor layout. The living room and Master bed room is so much smaller while the back of the house looks better in term of size as compare to the front.

The irony is that late last year before the house was torn down, I asked the MC why the front boundary setback of my house is so much to the front (1m) as compare to my neighbour and his reply was that the contractor for my neighbour house must have make a mistake.

Under such circumstances where the MC made such a mistake due to their negligence and sloppiness, what can I do to make the MC compensate for this? The total cost of the project is 1.6M and not 160K and imagine I have to live in this dream house which now turns out not so perfect just because of this silly mistake the MC has made.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi

My sympathy to you. Sorry to ask but at such a high price, shouldn't you have enlisted the services of a qualified architect to do all the initial planning work and drawings, and then to get 3 quotes?

Does your contract provides for mistakes made and penalties? Your setback from the front - is it the 7.5m allowed? Perhaps you should seek advice from a QP or architect if your main con is not so qualified.

Once again sorry to hear of your plight. I am in the midst of getting my plans submitted for a re-con so I hope mine will be smooth.

sorry to hear about ur plight, i am sort of having the same issue like you and am not sure if it is an error or the setback, they told me we have max the build area allowable, but when i saw the design on paper during discussion it seems much bigger.

As my living room is at the back, my front room and powder room sacrifice some of the space. If you can PM me your address(or hp), we can share some some point, as i am almost in completion of my house.

There are more tricks up their sleeve, i can tell you. :furious:

MY main contractor made a mistake during the surveyor work when drawing the boundary line. We were into the middle of the construction and out of the the blue, he told me that there is a violation of the LTA road guideline. The front boundary has to be setbacked by another meter. At this point as the foundation is already done and set, there is no choice but to sacrifice the living room. During the initial drawing stage, my instructions to the MC is that the front consisting of the living room and master bed room has to be big and the rest if smaller is ok. He also agreed with me that the living room must be long and wide as this will bring up the house.

This week when I went to look at the house, I was utterly disapointed by the floor layout. The living room and Master bed room is so much smaller while the back of the house looks better in term of size as compare to the front.

The irony is that late last year before the house was torn down, I asked the MC why the front boundary setback of my house is so much to the front (1m) as compare to my neighbour and his reply was that the contractor for my neighbour house must have make a mistake.

Under such circumstances where the MC made such a mistake due to their negligence and sloppiness, what can I do to make the MC compensate for this? The total cost of the project is 1.6M and not 160K and imagine I have to live in this dream house which now turns out not so perfect just because of this silly mistake the MC has made.

wow .. 1.6m to rebuild .. din know it cost so much to rebuild ...

for that sum of $$$ involved, should all the drawings, permits and legal documents not officially signed-off by a qualified person ? If yes, i believe this person must be responsible right ? It has become a case of misrepresentation of sorts ...

why dun you go back and talk to the people responsible for the drawings and seek clarifications ?

wow .. 1.6m to rebuild .. din know it cost so much to rebuild ...

for that sum of $$$ involved, should all the drawings, permits and legal documents not officially signed-off by a qualified person ? If yes, i believe this person must be responsible right ? It has become a case of misrepresentation of sorts ...

why dun you go back and talk to the people responsible for the drawings and seek clarifications ?

Hi All,

sorry for the misuderstanding , I meant to say 1.6 Mio project which include the cost of the land.

Hi All,

sorry for the misuderstanding , I meant to say 1.6 Mio project which include the cost of the land.

How much is your building cost, inclusive of professional fees. I am also thinking of rebuilding my corner terrace. Plan to build to the max capacity with high ceiling and install a small lift in the house.

Now, I am studying more about rebuilding work, get some ideas on cost and the design of the house.

For your house, I think it may be a case of miscommunication. I am sure when the authorities gave the approval for the building of your house, the set back is known. Probably, the contractor forgot to inform you until it was quite late.

How much is your building cost, inclusive of professional fees. I am also thinking of rebuilding my corner terrace. Plan to build to the max capacity with high ceiling and install a small lift in the house.

Now, I am studying more about rebuilding work, get some ideas on cost and the design of the house.

For your house, I think it may be a case of miscommunication. I am sure when the authorities gave the approval for the building of your house, the set back is known. Probably, the contractor forgot to inform you until it was quite late.

Bro... lift will take up space in yr house.. eating away the size of one car... also considering the cost of the lift and the maintainence of it.. servicing and stuff.. kinda not advisable to install life in your house.. only if u have a serious need for it. then u may wanna consider it..

Ya boy. How much was the cost of your construction and how many storeys and built-up how much.

I am interested to buy a piece of land to rebuild too but if it costs as much as a new house and have the same space as new house.. then I would look to buying a new house instead.

There's quite a bit of people letting go of old buildings with large land...

one is selling $2.5mil for a 6000 sq ft LAND (not built-in).. (East coast)

another one is selling $2mil for a 4000 sq ft Land .. (Thomson)..

thinking of whether can fit into my budget of around $2.5mil assuming the land can be negotiated downwards significantly..