Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jpcc

Ikea Billy Bookcase, Worth It?

There is a similar thread on Ikea carpentry but more on kitchen stuff....

So what is the general opinion of Ikea Billy bookcase?

I am thinking of getting it for whole wall, say 3m x 2m for study room.

Any past users or heard any horror stories to share?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

horror stories heard many many

it really depends on what you use it for

if it's for stacking of books two-deep and load the whole shelf full

CONFIRM collaspe

but if it's just to display things and put some books

should be alright bah

also, older bookcases are more sturdy compared to the newly produced ones :yamseng:

The wider your shelf, the higher the chance of it warping, especially if it's full load, even with a row of fiction novels, it seems. I've seen some horror shelves at my friends place, the whole piece (W80) was sagging, and it's just a row of fiction novels. I think it has a weight limit on each shelf.

Like what apple said, if you are using it to display things and just a few books here and there, then it should be ok. The weight is nicely distributed.

I had them in my old house. I chose 2 narrow W40 instead of 1 W80. 4 of them covering the entire wall with the CD rack from the same range in the middle, have to secure them against the wall. It lasted for about 2 years and I moved .. so can't really tell you if it will last 10 years.

Edited by lawry

The wider your shelf, the higher the chance of it warping, especially if it's full load, even with a row of fiction novels, it seems. I've seen some horror shelves at my friends place, the whole piece (W80) was sagging, and it's just a row of fiction novels. I think it has a weight limit on each shelf.

Like what apple said, if you are using it to display things and just a few books here and there, then it should be ok. The weight is nicely distributed.

I had them in my old house. I chose 2 narrow W40 instead of 1 W80. 4 of them covering the entire wall with the CD rack from the same range in the middle, have to secure them against the wall. It lasted for about 2 years and I moved .. so can't really tell you if it will last 10 years.

Great feedback, thanks....

I have second thoughts over Ikea then...

Actually i like Billy, one reason is the price, the other is the base which has a cut out for skirting....

The other better range of bookshelves do not have this design.

Anyway, if the functional aspect of Billy (to fill up the room with books) cannot be meet, i think

it is really customised carpentry then, although it is almost priced 2 times or more....

Billy is a sad case for book lovers... i would have concluded.....

Does any know any carpenter who can built simple plywood shelves for books - like the Billy or even expedit - for a reasonable fee? Please recommend me.

If you are not fussy or wanting fancy designs, how about trying out the neighbourhood estate furniture outlets? :)

Does any know any carpenter who can built simple plywood shelves for books - like the Billy or even expedit - for a reasonable fee? Please recommend me.

how long have you been using it? I used it for 2 years plus and one of the shelf has curved a bit.. about 2/3 loaded with books for that shelf...

i've been using a billy for a few years... W60 x H106 with one extension on top. The entire case is full of books... so far so good.

actually even if you custom-made one, shelf with longer width will still warp if you dun put additional support at the middle of the plank.

I've been using mine for a couple years...so far so good,

Apart from books I also have 2 Guitar Amplifiers on the 2 lower shelves, my Amplifiers are quite heavy....the shelves are still straight.