Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sepultura

How To Get Rid Of Ants?

For the past few weeks I noticed whenever there's some sweet on the dining table, it is attacked by small ants within 1/2 an hour. Today I traced these little pests and found there are quite a few living under the dining table.

I also found a trace going out towards the bedroom window and into a crack in the wall between the window frame and the wall.

How do I get rid of these pesky fellows? It is not severe enough to call the pest control guys but what's the best I can do now? Of course I'm getting the whole house cleaned up tomorrow - what insecticide / spray can I use to keep them away?

Thx.

Edit: The dining table is really good rosewood and I don't want to damage it with unsuitable chemicals.

Edited by sepultura

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

if the table is really that holy, then u can only spray insecticide on something absorbant... e.g tissue paper.. then with some protection, stick it under the table.

The ants are attracted by food, sweet stuff.

So long you leave them in the open, ants will come to them ...

I have this problem too. I have zip-locked the sweets ie; icing sugar which I use for my baking and other baking chocs already but as long as you have rubbish around in plastic bags before throwing out, ants will still be attracted to it.

There are a few alternatives in the market like Bugs Kill paper, ants and cockroach repellent pellets or chalk.

But better still, zip-lock or store away any sweet stuff in air tight bags/containers. :)

Yes, keep food/leftover food/food to be thrown out of sight/scent.

When they got nothing to eat here, they will go elsewhere. :P

If possible, find the ants' nest and get rid of it. You can see the ants' trail and where the trail leads to.

ya, "FIX" the source.

u can consider put ants powder at the corners of suspected area

cost abt less than $2 only (cant remember is it $0.80 or $1.80). Quite effective leh

the name of the powder is called "ants/cockroach powder". Once the ants eat the powder, the fleet will stop there and disappear

I have the same problem with my mom's place as well....

When I searched for methods on getting rid of ants, the ang mohs always say to introduce traps of 50% sugar and 50% borax.. Anyone knows where can I get borax in SG? The ants will bring the sugar back to the nest where the queen will be fed the borax and will die of poisoning...

Can't seem to find the Borax anywhere... :(

i think can get borax from mama shops. not sure if its the same thing...i remember my mum got mention before.

another solution is to use lavender essential oil. put 2-3 drops in water, then wipe the surface + areas with it. it doesnt actually get rid of the ants, but it apparently screws up its sensory abilities. i tried it out on my kitchen cabinets, and seems to work.

Hmm.. Where to get DDT? Always thought that it's a controlled item....

Add DDT to sugar and spread across the table.

Mama shops... Okay, will go check it out.... :)

Will test out the Lavender essential oil solution too.. Thank you so much gumbokins!! :)

i think can get borax from mama shops. not sure if its the same thing...i remember my mum got mention before.

another solution is to use lavender essential oil. put 2-3 drops in water, then wipe the surface + areas with it. it doesnt actually get rid of the ants, but it apparently screws up its sensory abilities. i tried it out on my kitchen cabinets, and seems to work.

Just buy Ant Killer (orange coloured box) from NTUC. Cost less than $2. It looked like biscuits bits and make sure you place some along the trail of the ants so that they can bring it home to eat. I am normally helpful - I will take time to trace the nearest path to their "home" and place some near the entrance. Save them the trouble to walk so much to bring back. They are so happy. Help yourself! keke

After a while, they will R.I.P.

As for the cracks between walls, just buy a sealer and seal it up. You dun want any new batch of ants to come in future...

I bought the ants powder, it worked for a few mths but didn't work now. i still find ants in my water flask & there is nothing sweet on my kitchen table at all. Can't seem to find the source at all!! HELP!

I bought the ants powder, it worked for a few mths but didn't work now. i still find ants in my water flask & there is nothing sweet on my kitchen table at all. Can't seem to find the source at all!! HELP!

Have you tried using pest companies?

I am thinking of using pest companies (esp those not black-listed for price collusion) because many yrs ago (when I was renting) some pest companies came to fumigate my home once a yr as part of the regular condo maintenance contract. And the home was rid of common pests like cockroaches and ants. Worked well.

Does anyone have any prior experience with pest companies? Pl share yr contacts and experience.

btw, DDT has been banned as a pesticide (FAO, govts, etc) for many yrs already, though some places might still sell the stuff -- check with AVA. DDT does not break down easily and cows, birds, etc that eats vegetation / fruits etc sprayed with DDT accumulates the stuff internally, eventually passing the poison to humans via the food chain. :yamseng:

Edited by BlueFly