Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sepultura

How To Get Rid Of Ants?

i feel tat my house ants has become smarter, they will not eat or carry back the antz killer Golder roaster brand anymore :(

Sometime ago whilst looking for a tip to store basil, I chanced upon tips on getting rids of ants.

Wikihow's article is a good read and I particularly like this tip :-

- quote -

If you have pets and/or children around (see Warnings below) put the bait in a jam jar. Screw the lid tightly and seal with adhesive tape. Pierce two or three small holes in the lid, and smear the outside with a little bit of unpoisoned bait. If you're concerned about the jar getting knocked over and the poisoned bait spilling out, loosely pack the inside with cotton balls.

- unquote -

Now, what to use as bait?

Other tips that I have bookmarked: -

Baking soda and icing sugar - No poison necessary

Talcum powder - An Unwanted Invasion

Cornmeal - Bill & Barbara Jo

Another tip that I enjoy from Wikihow - "How to Get Rid of Fruit Flies" and made me wonder if fruit flies are really that stupid.

have u try any yourself , if so does it works?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Recently I just moved into my new house (less than 2 months). I have ants over my house.

1st, ants go through the paper box and bite the plastic of a packet of new unopened honey corn flakes.

2nd, my documents in my bedroom wardrobe (which there is neither food nor sweet stuff inside the drawer) are full of ants. (Don’t know why they are there.)

3rd, last Friday... A packet of unopened sugar, they bite through the plastic and attack the sugar. This time round there are hundreds of them. I sticked them with scott tape after I clear, another batch of ants come out from a hole on the silicon which link to the back of my kitchen cabinet. (So scare that they will build a nest behind my cabinet) And I started taping them again..

I bought the ant powder yesterday night and left some at the corner of the floor and kitchen top, but the ants seem very intelligent, they will bypass the powder.

With these, I start tracing them…

1. I saw ants coming in / out from a corner of kitchen cabinet. (They bite 1 hole on the silicon).

2. Then I saw ants crawling in and out of a corner of cement in between 2 tiles. I don’t know whether their nest is there a not.

3. Another source from outside the window. They crawl into the house and along the side of the floor tiles and wall tiles.

This morning wake up, still have alot of on the kitchen top, which there is no food on it.

I am amazed that ants bite everything and anything like plastic bags, silicon and cement.

Can anyone help me with this. :help:

Borax is easily available at major mama shops?

My water flask is cool water so also don't know why...

i think its gotta do with the flouride in our water.....my flask of 1day old plain boiled water tends to attract ants.

I been doing battle with ants for 3 yrs.

i tried 3 to 4 type of ant bait. So far the most effective is combat ant killing gel . Cost abt $10. (I used abt 4 month plus, so far never see any ants).

If you find it too ex, next best is GOLDER ROASTER BRAND antz killer. (usually last for 2 to 3 months)

i too have similar ant problems at home. need to alternate between different brands of ant poisons to get rid of them....its neverending & an ongoing battle...... :(

I am at wits end about ant problem.

Googled about Borax and here I am...

Can someone tell me where to get it?

This problem has been tormenting me for months.

Remove all food source for the ants. Some people plant some "sweet plants" which attracts ants or ants are attracted to your neigbours' leftover food and found your house to be pleasant to be made into their permanent home.

Try to locate the ant nest but don't disturb it.

Invite the pest control company in to help you with slow acting poison which will help you get to the root and destroy the whole colony.

Hope this helps.

I don't have food source lying around. I can't find the nest...it seems to be coming from outside the window.....

Have already thrown away several plants...

I've planted several baits (NTUC) but it doesn't work.

Ant chalk works but they change route.....

It's getting very annoying cos they just keep changing route....

When the ants get too smart and don't eat the ant bait, I will normally mix it with some sugar and then scatter it. It usually works after that and they will bring it back to the nest.

Talcum powder works well for spaces in the house, especially if you have kids. I only use the ant bait outside the house. I would put some on the balcony (where I can see trails of them) and outside the main door (where they enter thru the main gate).

It is also important to keep the tables and dustbins clean - i.e. clear all rubbish from the bins everyday, no sweets lying around on the table and make sure no food drops on the floor.

To keep ants from going into the water (in the jug / kettle), you can buy a plastic cover to cover the spout of the kettle, or use a cover to cover the jug so that ants don't fall in.

Hi all,

Recently, I found ants building nest behind my wooden skirting in my bedroom. Trace of ants coming from the kitchen window to the kitchen and toilet window to my bedroom. Paste the ant baits all over my house, but it seems like they will just change route.. Headache..

yesterday found an 'army' of ants nesting in the hollow spine of my kids' board book! disgusting! and my boy got a fright when he opened it and the whole load of ants poured onto his shirt!

I think the usual ants 'trap' that u can get at supermarkets works for small black ants, may not work for big red ones. Hmm, usually within the 2nd day u would be able to destroy the ant's nest:)

Some tips

1) If ants are found on tables.

Wrap all the tables’ legs with rubber band, and the ant’s wont able to climb across those bands and up to the table.

2) You have to make sure all joins within the house there is no gap.

I realized ants like to hide in gaps. Example if you titles are not properly join and have gaps, especially deep gaps, the ants tend to hide inside this joins.

Worst if the joins are made of wood; example door frame. Cause the ants tend to hide there and at the same time they start to eat the wood slowly. By and by, you realized your door has little small holes.

3) Ants like to hide in place, where there is a minimum activity or no activity of human being.

I remember once my sis when oversea for a few weeks and her toilet is not use. The ants starts hiding in those title joins and start to build their colony their.

I also discovered ants hiding in my bookshelf, where I just house the books but never read :)

When you see ants, don't just clean them away, but trace and follow them back to their colony and destroy its colony.

So far I have destroyed a few colony, but surprisingly they rebuild a new ones very fast.

Find the ants' trial and do not wipe them away.

Purchase ants bait from golden rooster brand and pour those light brownish bits of flakes along the trial. Give it sometime, and those ants should clear off within 2-3 days.