Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Yenming

My Dream House Project

Clearing the Air

Well, its a misunderstanding... ID did not mix up the laminates... Its my hubby who misunderstood wat ID

was referring to?? n hence wrong message was translated to me... OMG....

I called the ID to confirm... earlier... so everything is cleared! finally, i can be rest assured tt everything is still under control. :dancingqueen:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Need Advice

We need help & advice now. Managed to dig out our old initial 3D drawings. We would like to know for a family of 3, how many kitchen cabinets do we need??

We have a problem now. Below is the initial drawing from ID. (p/s: sorry for the poor image and my pen markings on the drawings). Based on floorplan, we would expect our kitchen cabinets to be as similar to the below pics.

Kitchen.jpg

Kitchen2.jpg

However, we received information from carpentor that actual measurement on site revealed that we are not able to accommodate so many kitchen cabinets anymore. In fact, we have to remove the below cabinets (crossed out):-

Kitchen21.jpg

I'm quite upset over it.. Not very sure how come the 3D drawings will deviate so much from actual. Wat I'm worried now is the reduction in storage area. (P/s: The breakfast counter cabinets remained. But width is smaller than the normal 60cm. According to ID, its only 40cm. Can someone advise us if storage area (kitchen cabinets & breakfast counter cabinets would still be sufficient for a family of 3 adutls? And not sure if it will turn out well wif such a small scale kitchen...

Edited by Yenming

Although I'm quite disappointed with the actual kitchen measurements, we will still need to accept it.

On the happy side, we do have some other drawings that we like (p/s: poor image & pen markings):-

TV Feature Wall + Console + Elevated Platform

LivingRoom.jpg

Since this is the initial drawing, we have also make some amendments to it. Let's imagine tt the TV console is suspended (w/o the white base bottom), cabinets using black glass.

As for the feature wall, let's imagine that all black portion are tinted mirror with each plank of mirror seperated by a white laminate. This white laminate is a shiny, pearl white type.

Finally, our feature wall & tv console should be able to give a classic / modern feeling..

Full-height Shoe Cabinet

ShoeCabinet.jpg

This is already the revised copy of the new shoe cabinet... Original shoe cabinet is quite normal. Hence, we requested ID to think of a new design. We like this new design very much. The settee can be adjusted when

we need it. But later, we discovered tt there is pipe at tt corner, hence, we'll have to forgo this idea.

The white laminate that we are using is the same as what we r using for the feature wall.

MBR Dresser & Suspended BedFrame

MBR.jpg

It looks really nice to us. We loved the colour combinations of the lollipop & black paint. But after second thoughts, the lollipop paint make not be so soothing to our eyes in the long run. So we decided to choose other colours. Paint of colours for MBR is actually Cultural Pearl & Lavender Mist as indicated in previous posting.

ID proposed to put glass with flourescent tube in the bedhead. We r imagining how it'll look like.

since we hav no intention to buy side tables, ID so-call dig a hole for my hubby at the side of the bedhead (the rectangular black). Enabling hubby to put his hp/alarm clock... Creative...

MBR Wardrobe & TV console & Feature Wall

MBRWardrobe.jpg

This can be considered the second amendments. However, ID's draftman use wrong materials on the wardrobe. Hence the above pics is not the actual wardrobe we r getting. Our wardrobe is mainly black glass & tinted mirror. Each sliding door will hav a square tinted mirror n it is fixed in such a way tt it will be diagonally aligned with the other tinted mirror on the next sliding doors. Hence, we would be expecting a total of 4 tinted mirror. As for the top & bottom of the sliding doors, ID proposed to use black glass... By right, we need to top up additional... finally, he told us FOC for the black glass. Great!!!

Feature wall is normal but we also like its simplicity. We have chosen a black leathery, anti-scratch -type laminate plus tinted mirror in between. We have also included a pull-down drawer to conseal the wires.

All-in all, i think our house is designed base on three colours, black, white & grey.. and made up of glassy, mirror effect. We really hope it can turn out well.. This is our biggest investment in our life.

By the way, next week we will proceed to paint paint job.. so excited to c if the colours selected can be able to match our expectation!!

Edited by Yenming

Wardrobe Compartment Design

Managed to use microsoft excel to draw my wardrobe compartments. Anyway, I think the compartments are not sufficient for me who has a lot alot of clothes... since we only managed to squeeze only a 9ft wardrobe in our MBR. Perhaps, the study room will be used to keep those items which are not frequently used. :dancingqueen:

Wardrobe.jpg

Bought trousers hanger @ $29/piece & pull-out drawer basket @ $12/piece from Ikea. However, Johnny said tt if insisted to use the trouser hanger & pull-out drawer basket, we have to change the 4 sliding doors to 3. And the tinted mirror on e wardrobe (as shown in my previous postings) may nt look nice which 3 sliding doors only. Smaller-squared mirror looks better than rectangular type. so we gave tt idea up. Finally, we gave our trousers hanger to our sis-in-law. of cos foc lah... :notti:

Have been visiting our place... not much progress.. electricians did not come to our place today. fabrication of false ceilings & L-Box still half-way thru. have been pending for more than 1 week... cant wait for them to finish their work. If there is no delays, painting work :paint: should commence on thurs.. but judging from the progress, I doubt so.... :bleah:

Thought false ceilings and L box should be completed within 1 day? How come still take them so long...faintz

Hi Cherry,

We are nt very sure how long it takes.. For your case, u complete within a day??? But workers did not fabricate according to ID's instructions. Hence, they tore down the whole balcony false celings & pending for re-do. Also, ID proposed to add some lighting points behind our bedhead. So, we need to wait for electricians to complete before commencing on the false ceilings... And good news, hubby went back to our place during lunch. He said tt there are workers. They are working on our false ceilings... Happy.

Edited by Yenming

False Celings & L-Box

False celings fabrication is completing soon... Worker came to touch up earlier. I guessed it will be completed by tomorrow..

DSC03075.jpg

DSC03077.jpg

Our Bedhead

As per designed, our bedhead is unique. The open spaced square area is meant for us to place our alarm clock & misc items. But another creative idea from Johnny to have lights inside the bedhead shining towards the top wall. Take a closer look at the bedhead, theres's actually wires hanging out. Its meant for flourescent tube. We will be having 2, 3ft flourescent tubes. It will be covered up with clear glass. Very excited over this. Hope it will turn out well.

DSC03080.jpg

DSC03083.jpg

Installation of Doors

Great! Finally, we had new doors. Our 20-yr old doors can finally take a rest after safeguarding the family from theft etc. So now its our new doors responsibility to assume this role. We paid additional to upgrade from hollow veneer to solid veneer doors as we are afraid of ants residing in the hollow doors forming their own troops to conquer our dream hse. Not sure how much it is. But Johnny mentioned, not expensive, only a few tens... (cross my fingers, i hope its nt too ex)

Bedrooms doors will be painted in black & grey colours which shd be able to blend in well with our colour themes. Hubby proposed to have the doors painted with a cross sign in black with grey as background colour. However, Johnny checked and said tt the lever is very close to the sides of the doors. So effect may not be as nice as we want it to be. Nevertheless, he proposed to paint 1/3 in black and the rest in grey. I think its nt a bad idea. so we agreed.

DSC03074.jpg

DSC03076.jpg

We will be hunting for lights again tomorrow. Have been hunting n searching for nice looking lights at Jln Bersar but in vain. Hope we r able to find our dream lights tomorrow. :yamseng:

Edited by Yenming

Purchase of Lights

It has been a tiring weekend, searching for our dream hse lights. Did a research of which are the popular & recommended lighting shops from sgbrides forum. Jln Bersar & Balestier shops are highly recommended by most of the forumers.

Recommended Shops

DIY Lightings @ Jln Bersar

Lumiere's Lightings

Lights Arcade @ Belastier (Good & Bad comments)

Vlux

Light House @ Balestier (Price Good but shifted location to ??)

A Lighting @ Geylang

Lights D Shop @ Jln Bersar

Chelsea (Recommended by Johnny which has good quality)

Think Twice Before U Shop

3T @ Veersamy Rd

S'pore Lighting Mart @ Balestier

DK Lightings @ Geylang

Strass / Palace of Lights @ Balestier

E-lite Illumination @ Jln Bersar

We did patronised almost all shops in these areas few months back. But we were rather shocked by the prices quoted & at the same time disappointed. Almost all the lighting shops in these areas are selling lights which can be found in the next shop or next next shop. Only one of the lights catch our attention as per below:-

DSC03071.jpg

Its actually a clear crack glass. So far, only managed to see it selling in Light Makers @ Jln Bersar. Salesman quoted us at $125. But we din commit since its still early to confirm as we have not started our renovation back then. We took his namecard with model number indicated by him tog with the price.

2 months later, finally, its time to buy our lights and deliver by 7/Aug as confirmed by Johnny. We went Jln Bersar, hoping to find our dream lights.

We are required to buy the below lights:-

8 PLC Lights (Silver, 18W, 2 Tubes)

21 Flourescent Tube (4ft & 3ft loose)

2 Kitchen Lights (covered)

4 Bedroom Lights (2 for MBR & 2 for the rest)

2 Toilet Lights (waterproof)

Budget: $1K

Sat - Jln Bersar

The start of our journey began at Jln Bersar. We walked the whole street, entering all shops tt we managed to pass by in the hope of finding our desired light. But too bad, we din manage to see any for our bedrooms.

We passed by Light Makers again. This time round, we did not see the clear crack glass light anymore. One of the salesgal (e only person there) approached us. (Just for yr information, she's smoking happily in the shop! OMG!). :jawdrop: We asked for the light. Its out of stock & next shipment will only be arriving on 13/Aug which is not able to meet our installation date. We intended to have the same light for all 3 Bedrooms. But this is not the point, we asked for quotation of the light (in case we can negotiate with Johnny to delay installation date). The first quote is $220!!!! She managed to give discounted price @ $180. Isnt it funny?? 2 months back, Light Makers offered $125. Now they are offering $180. :furious: I din bring the previous namecard along. So we cant verify on e spot w/o any evidence. But we tried to negotiate tt its not possible since we got a good price previously. She argued tt her colleague may have quoted the wrong price to us. Its ok. We dont wish to make any further comments. We walked out. I shall verify again on tt nite wif e namecard. Anyway, we are sure tt the light can be sold at less than $90 as we saw it at Pan Tech @ Jurong East. But its only display set tt was left. Since we need 3 exactly same light, we only managed to find 1. We have already intended to go back to tt place to purchase it if we are not able 2 buy new set. Even if we do so, we are stil short of 2 more.

In conclusion, we did not buy any lights on Sat. Was quite panic as we r running out of time already.

Sun - Balestier

We continue our search for lights. This time round, we started quite early. Left home by 10am. Went back to our place for some photo takings before gg to Balestier. Again, we walked the whole streets. Luck is not with us for these 2 days, its either tt the lights are too expensive or they are out of stock & shipment will only arr after our installation date. To cut short, we managed to find the same light in the below shops:-

Designers Lightings (Quoted $165 ; Stock available)

Lighting Bug (Quoted $90 ; Out of Stock ; Shipment In on 20Aug)

Edison Lightings (Quoted $60 ;exactly same design, but one size smaller, we bought it for 1 of MBR lights)

Overwhelmed by fear of not able to purchase any lights within the tight schedule, we decided to purchase the display set in Lighting Bug & Edison Lightings. Staff were helpful in helping us do all the packing & also kind enuff to change the light holder for us. Even managed to provide further discounted rate from $90 to $80 and from $60 to $40 since both are display sets. Finally, we had one big & one small for our MBR. But the sad part is we need to cash & carry back the lights with our Bike!! We are still short of 2 now. No choice, we have decided to go back to Pan Tech at Jurong East to purchase the display set and all the balance PLC etc too. (it seems tt almost all our bedrooms lightings are display sets; :bangwall: .

Upon arrival at Pan Tech, the salesman was entertaining another customer, we walked around in the next shop, Hylite Deco. This shop is also recommended by sgbrides forum (but not many of them knows about this shop). And its always "CLOSED" when we passed by a few weeks back. This time round, its OPEN. We try our luck again. We entered and immediately two ceiling lights capture our attention!! As per below:-

Master-1.jpgMaster-2.jpg

We called it the Olympics Light. Actually, it has red & silver types - coloured ring. But I think silver will match our MBR better thou red is nicer. We shall use the earlier crack glass light for sis-in-law room & we'll get tis light for ourselves.

StudyRoom-1.jpgStudyRoom.jpg

We called it the CD Light. The two bulbs are circled by orange cup. Looks special n we din see it any Jln Bersar or Balestier shops. Immediately, both of us decided to buy for our Orange Room. :notti:

The most annoying part was we saw exactly the same clear crack glass hanging light and the friendly lady, Anthea told us tt they have many stock. :furious: We bought display set previously & if we had came here earlier, we do not need to buy display set & carry all the way. Just for ur information, its also selling at $90. We breathed hard and our hearts sink.. Finally,we decided to ask her for assistance in offering us all the PLC, Flourescent Tube, Kitchen, Storeroom, Toilet lights etc. We told her we only had $1K budget. She calculated and her reply is OK! Deal! :yamseng: We were shocked! We expected the price to shot up because the above two ceilings exceeded our budget for bedroom lights.

She's also kind to offer us FOC reserves bulb & tube for the ceiling lights as we are afraid tt they may not be available in the market after several years. But she assured us tt widely available... To give us the assurance, she just throw in FOC for us lah... Great! She even throw in the wireless doorbell when we requested... :dancingqueen: We deeply appreciated her help, patience and effort to squeeze in all items which meets our budget. The best part is she also offer to help us deliver our crack glass light which were bought earlier of the day to save us fr the trouble. Other than that, she also assured us tt she'll deliver promptly and items were not be left out on the day of delivery. I hope she'll keep her words.

At the end of the day, "relieved" is the feeling. We managed to keep within our budget and yet not compromising on the quality of the bulbs & ballast. :sport-smiley-018:

Edited by Yenming

i like that crack glass dining light!

very very nice!

Thanks, Jessie. We also lup it at first sight. It can also be used for dining light thou we intended to use it for our bedrooms. You can visit Hylite Deco @ Jurong East Blk 353 if you want to buy for your own place!

:dancingqueen:

Thanks, Jessie. We also lup it at first sight. It can also be used for dining light thou we intended to use it for our bedrooms. You can visit Hylite Deco @ Jurong East Blk 353 if you want to buy for your own place!

:dancingqueen:

tks tks.

will try to make a trip there this wkends ;)

Hi,

Nice design for the open kitchen and living. I thought you will be moving in before Hungry Ghost month?

Anyway, i have a question. Does the main door need to be fire-rated? I heard fire-rated ones can easily cost $1000.

Hi,

Nice design for the open kitchen and living. I thought you will be moving in before Hungry Ghost month?

Anyway, i have a question. Does the main door need to be fire-rated? I heard fire-rated ones can easily cost $1000.

Thanks. :dancingqueen: We also hope it'll turn out well. Our renovation is estimated to complete in another 2-3 weeks. So most probably we will shift in after the hungry ghost festival. For our case, its a corner unit and lift is more than a few metres from our main door. So it is not necessary for us to install fire-rated door. I think if units are situated along the passage way, it is compulsory to have fire-rated door. Yup. also heard tt the fire-rated door is costly. Anyway, for more information, u can read up the below link from HDB.

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10205p.nsf/WP...te?OpenDocument

Edited by Yenming