Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
gaiusparx

Do I Need Kitchen Door?

My friend is suggesting to build a sliding glass door for the kitchen, so that we can close the door while cooking. We cook about 2-3 times per week but it will be daily when mum stays with us, the cooking is mostly flames and wok. My thought is sliding door might not be necessary as there is a chimney hood. Any idea? Thanks

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

the hood will not be enough to prevent the smoke and oil coming out of the kitchen. Unless you're getting a maid to clean your floor and furniture daily, better to get a door to completely block out the oil and smoke.

My friend is suggesting to build a sliding glass door for the kitchen, so that we can close the door while cooking. We cook about 2-3 times per week but it will be daily when mum stays with us, the cooking is mostly flames and wok. My thought is sliding door might not be necessary as there is a chimney hood. Any idea? Thanks

Wah, flames & wok some more :o ..i can just imagine the smoke & smell :D Unless you have a super chimney, better to get a sliding door, even a simple one will do.. just my personal opinion....

well i think it would depend on how well ventilated is your kitchen. if it's well ventilated, then i don't think a door would be needed. but if it's so well-ventilated then the wind is strong enough to extinguish the flames on ur stove, then doors would be handy.

but if you're concerned abt the oil and smoke etc getting to ur furniture, then i would not be putting glass sliding doors because it would mean the oil and smoke would stick to those doors instead and create more work to clean up, right?

many of my makcik neighbours don't have doors for their kitchens, incl. my mum. they cook daily with lots of oil and chili etc, and i don't think their house smells of oil or smoke.

ya it is always better to hav a door at kitchen no matter u cook or not.(look nice even u seldom cook, unless uchose those ugly one lah ) LOL. And doors arent like our TV or HP which will spoil or outdated & need to change from time to time, think it is worth to invest on it & can protect those oily stuff flew towards your plasma or LCD right?

Hood does not help much even u hav a good one, unless u use those for resturant, coffee shop system.........

ya it is always better to hav a door at kitchen no matter u cook or not.(look nice even u seldom cook, unless uchose those ugly one lah ) LOL. And doors arent like our TV or HP which will spoil or outdated & need to change from time to time, think it is worth to invest on it & can protect those oily stuff flew towards your plasma or LCD right?

Hood does not help much even u hav a good one, unless u use those for resturant, coffee shop system.........

Hi do you mean that even if we get a chimney hood that has a good suction power of abt 850m3/hr also doesn't help in the oil suction?

Hi do you mean that even if we get a chimney hood that has a good suction power of abt 850m3/hr also doesn't help in the oil suction?

[/quote)

Of cos i cannot say it wont help at all, the most impt is the way we cook our food must no be too oily right. And do u remember how long ago since u do a good clean on ur hood?eg, change the filter, or change the cotton wool, clean the suck in outlet? If it is not clean often, it will greatly affect the performance too. Try buy those with heat cleaning which will do a simple clean for u. The oil will be cpntain to a container after it is heated .

Chimney design is only a design, u can see the top part of it is just a .......cover! dont ever think it can suck all the way up n link to outside of ur hse.

my 1st home chimney hood does not work as gd as my current normal hood. Of cos the design is not as chio or nice to many brand. cos, it has two direct open suction fan which u can see it clearly. (many other design they try to covrit n the suction is limited to the sides, or they have holes look like it is covering all the part of the hood but suction is still concentrate in the middle.)

I forgotton whats the suction power for my hood but im sure it is the one of the powerful one during the time i bot it on 2006.

For me even if i had a gd hood, i will still do a door in the kitchen for double insurance ma LOL i kiasu type hor.

For the Kitchen, would a wooden door be as good compared to a glass door?

It depends on what u really what. To me, glass is better than wood as in the kitchen, there r lots of heat,oily,moist, insects, somehow these will attack wood right? but not on glass. But wooden doors can make it more air tight than glass doors. Glass doors need some gaps at all sides. BUt the gaps r small.

& glass look more classic.

BTW, tat day i happen to went to my friend carpenter shop nfound out from a foreman there that nowadays most or all custom make furniture r make of plywood. even it seems like it is a solid 25mm thick wood, it is make by plywoods, at the side of it ,it use a thin layer of wood skin(not sure whats the correct term) to paste over i, 7 than paint it so it will look like a solid wood.

Think nowadays only teak or something else is really solid wood but will cost u a bomb

BTW my 1st home & current hse kitchen door is a frameless glass sliding door. If it does not suit me, i would not hav it again for my 2nd home......