Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
divein

Top Kitchen Cabinet Depth

want to check what is the norm for the depth of the top kitchen cabinet. Mine is 35cm but find that it's abit shallow but my ID say that the norm. is it true?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

The funny thing is the same per foot rate is charged on top kitchen cabinet when the depth is half of the bottom cabinet.

The funny thing is the same per foot rate is charged on top kitchen cabinet when the depth is half of the bottom cabinet.

My top cabinet is also very shallow. To make things worse, the carpenters left approximately 6inches SPACE from the wall behind! :furious: He said the norm is 4-5inches! I cannot understand why we need this big gap there for what? Customisation is meant to make things better to suit our kitchen... there should not be any norm. Thus, I asked my ID to make it deeper, and he is currently redo-ing the whole top cabinet for me. :notti:

Maybe you can try re-doing that portion also. :)

Edited by thevert

I asked my ID to make it deeper, and he is currently redo-ing the whole top cabinet for me. :notti:

Ur ID is so good. Mine was the opposite, top cabin done too deep until your face can kiss the cabin. I had to argue and raise voice before he finally agree to ask his carpenter whether ok to change (ya, he didn't agree). But finally they changed it. Really pissed me off :furious:

Ur ID is so good. Mine was the opposite, top cabin done too deep until your face can kiss the cabin. I had to argue and raise voice before he finally agree to ask his carpenter whether ok to change (ya, he didn't agree). But finally they changed it. Really pissed me off :furious:

Maybe we can share some measurements of the depth of our kitchen top & bottom cabinets and even wardrobe in future? I will go back to measure the top & bottom cabinets and revert here!

I'm also a 1st timer in this reno thing, so sometimes I also "blur" as to what measurements I should do and just accept the ID's proposal.

checked with the ID, again he used "international standard" , which he mentionis 1 feet(30cm) for top cabinets & 2 feet(30cm) for bottom.

I feel that the top is a bit too shallow also, although have not seen the "redo" top cabinets yet.

I tried to ask for 40cm, but again he mention the quotation is for 30cm "standard" only! Then why can't our quotation be half price of the bottom cabinets! :furious: ... How can everywhere be the same standard? Then why are we customising our cabinets for?

On 6/20/2021 at 8:25 AM, M Haizal said:

Kitchen top hung cabinet, is it a requirement by HDB, must be 30 cm depth?  Will my contr license at stake if I want them do 40cm?

Maybe it will be allowed. I see some shops also sell the wall cabinets that are 40cm deep. And the upper kitchen cabiets can even up to 42inches wide. Here are  5 ideas of 42 inch upper kitchen cabinet.