Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jackng1982

To Those Who Do Not Have A Storeroom At Home...

Do you regret hacking away your storeroom? With loads of junk and unsightly stuff to put away how do you manage them? I'm thinkinf of whether to relocate my storeroom or just leave it out... :bangwall:

Edited by jackng1982

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I really dunno how pple live without a storeroom. Where do they hide their bulky items like vacuum cleaner? And I know some pple even keep food stuff (canned) inside their storeroom!! :o

My place never had a storeroom. I just created one during my renovation - It's important to have a store room, and it is even more vital to have an organised store room

no storeroom means i minimise bulk and junk. it's a great excuse to not keep things. but currently we hv a spare bedroom..that's where the vacuum cleaner goes. suitcases etc goes under the bed.

Hi jack..hope this message doesn't come too late. MUST HAVE!!!!! i hacked off my existing store room, and relocate to an existing spare bedroom (so it bedroom becomes smaller). but the new store room is smaller than the old store room which i hacked off. i regreted that badly! the extra space i got , which is part of my masterbedroom, doesn't give me an extra anything! i could really do without that space in the master bedroom, and would be much happy to have left it as the store room.!!

our store room is between the master and 2nd bedroom. we had wanted to knock it off, build 2 wardrobes back to back and leave a space of about 6' between them and turn the place into a storage cum work area. at the end of the day, still need store room haha.. but in the end we didn't do it because of the beams on 1 of the walls. imagine a 6" beam sticking out of nowhere...

my future hm dun have a storeroom. hacked it off to make my wiw. wat rubbish do u need to store? rubbish goes into de bin :notti:

haha. no la. food goes into de kitchen cabinet, shoes go into shoe cabinet, i dun read newspaper, clothes/bags/suitcases goes into wiw, vacumm/ladder goes into de 1.5ft width full height cabinet i built in de kitchen to consume de pipings.

other than that, dun see anything more i need to store? maybe u guys can advise?

Hehe... I tink as long as wen u plan storage place for everyting u can tink of during renos, it should be fine to do away with a store room.

Just go through ur daily life, and see what u will use. Then decide on the best place to keep it, and build storage/hidden storage there. :)

My current home dun have a storeroom :( , I use the cupboard top in my bedrooms as a storage place. But it looks very messy. Anyway, my home oredi enbloc, I will getting a new home in 2 years time with a household shelter tat can be use as a storage place.

I had entertained the idea of hacking away my storeroom at first to build a bigger WIW....

In the end, decide not to.... after talking to my parents... cannot imagine... have not moved in but my storeroom already got "booked" to put alot of things.....

So my stand... storeroom is a sure thing to have at home... even for young couples like us... You never know what you need to put... and after kids come into the picture... More things to store... haha

i bought ikea racks which cost me around $500 to store all the storeroom's rubbish and

place it in one of my spare bedroom. since storeroom is too tiny and might invite unclean spirits

to live inside dark closed up corner so better i hacked it off.

myworld, you are funny!

I dislike having those spooky corners in the apartments too. I simply dislike going in there to get stuff, never know when I would be surprised by roaches or spiders and the like. yikes.

We had store room under the stairways in one of our rental apartment. It's horrible. It's crump and stuffy. When we want to reach for anything at the back of the store room, there were just so many things to move aside - MJ table, vacuum cleaners, sports gears, rabbits stuff [litters and hay].

Luggages were just too clumsy to be stored there and they ended up upstairs in one of the bedrooms.

No store room

I didn't have a store room in the past at a 5 room point block flat unit nor in one of the rental apartment we had before and we created a storage area behind our simple bamboo pole wardrobe system.

So behind our clothings that hang like boutiques, we store our luggages, mahjong table, bowling balls, exercise gears, vacuum cleaner, toyogo boxes of documents [on shelf above our height], etc. It was relatively easy to access to the things behind the clothings.

Utility Room = Store Room ?

Now we have 2 utility rooms - Utility Room L - for the maid; Utility Room R for 3 bunnies.

At first, we used Utility Room R as a store room.

Handyman & Computer Repair Stuff

Tom's quite a handyman and thus has many tools, tool boxes, ladder, workbench, toyogo boxes of fittings and such. On top of that, a few CPUs, monitors, laptops sitting around to store, awaiting for him to find the time to fix them.

When he had all these things in the utility room, it was terrible. When he has to fix stuff, he would bring the tools and what nots from that room and left them where he was working on [Excuse: too troublesome to put them back, going to use them in awhile]. So imagine, a set of tools and boxes in the guest room, another set in the kitchen, yet another set in the lounge, ladder plonked here and there, work bench in the kitchen one day, another day in the lounge. Then he hadn't even started on his computer repair hobby. *i faint liao*

Storage solution - Wall to wall shelvings with Ikea Broder wall system in one of the bedrooms [Front Room].

It's easy to reach for the things. When it's easy to access, that's mean easy to put them back too and would be used for more often instead of them being a white elephant.

If he wish to saw anything, it's all controlled mess in that front room. Work bench does not leave that room; ladder gets back to its place easily.

And when he's not using these stuff, just draw the curtains and there, mahjong room! :D

Luggages, Toyogo Boxes + Bunnies

So you see, Utility Room R is for 3 bunnies + luggages + toyogo boxes of documents. In a way, it is an ideal room for bunnies as we can contain the mess when we groom the bunnies. No clumps of fur rolling around in the lounge.

Vacuum cleaner goes into the cabinet in the kitchen - out of sight, easy to access, do not obstruct anything, together with the other attachments. My maid used to leave it sitting around anywhere she reckoned convenient instead of putting it in the store room. Now, she has no excuse. :D In the same cabinet, we have space for a basket of paper shopping bags and another toyogo box of recycle bags to grab before heading to the supermarket.

Pantry Cabinet was built to store can food, jars of stuff, toyogo boxes of dried goods, instant noodles, teas, coffee, milk, organic food stuff, rice, spare bottles of cooking oil, olive oil, sauces and such. In that way, we do not buy more than what we need.

Cleaning Agents Cabinet stores dishwashing liquid refills, cartons of laundry powders, bottles of softeners, bleach, etc. Also, brooms, dustpans, bamboo pole fork and any other cleaning agents goes into this cabinet. Uh, recycle plastic bags for the chute. Insecticide sprays goes into this cabinet. Toilet paper, boxes of tissue papers, kitchen paper towels goes to the cabinet with extra rolls of alum. foil and cling wraps.

Sports gears - Tennis bag + rackets; Squash bags + rackets; Badminton rackets; Bowling Balls; Inline Skates; Exercise mats; Reverse Pull Up Boots; Knee Braces - all goes into a cabinet created to hide the DB box in the lounge.

Xmas Tree & Accessories goes into the cabinet which was once a wall separating the lounge and master bedroom. CNY decoration goes into this cabinet too, along with wrapping papers, toyogo box of ribbons and tapes.

In the same cabinet, plentiful of storage of board games, photo albums, 6 stacks of Ikea boxes of sewing projects, sewing machine, pottery art stuff, instruction manuals, wires, cables, packing materials, etc.

Store Room?

Would I want a store room? No. Scary after this 2 month stint of using the utility room for his stuff, and especially with a maid who loves to chuck things into the store room and forgets where things are.

Space planning

Since you'd be renovating and planning the space, think departmental stores *hehehe* categorize the things and create the cabinets for them instead of stuffing everything into the store room.

Make every square inch a usable space. :D And no dark, spooky corner in the apartment.

Edited by kastlekonfusion