Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
yokoyoko

Energy Saving Lights

I have cheap source for CFL lamps.

Min purhase of $20 apply.

Btw, its not Philips or Osram brand, but not cheapo brand either.

Selling at around $3.00 only depending on Wattage.

Interested email me at deepshipsg@yahoo.co.uk thks. (Applies to Spore only)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Got a question about energy saving fluorescence lights. My ID advised me to use 2x13W downlights in my living/dining room and I can control two downlights with each switch button. However even when with only 2 downlights on, I still find that it's a bit bright when I am watching TV.

If I buy 10W fluorescent bulbs to fit into the current 2x13W downlights, will there be any energy saving since the ballast is still for 13W bulbs? Will it cause the 10W bulbs to 'blow out faster'?

Hi lawry,

I saw some bulbs in Japan, I think it's still about 20+W each bulb, the colours is like those neon/argon light tubes. Not as energy savings as the normal fluorescent type. Think we can't use japan bulbs here though as they are made for use at 100V not 230V.

Note that some bluish bulbs are with UV light for attracting insects/disinfecting.

Using 10W PLC lamps on a 13W ballast will defintely shorted the lamps' life. But not too much to cause any worries.

13W lamps consumes 13W of energy, but please don't forgot the ballast has some wattage lost due to the magnetic coil. The ballast may have a wattage losses of 3W for your case.

Your old energy consumption should be 13W + 3W=16W

If you change to 10W, ideally your energy con 10W + 3W=13W, you still save 3W :)

But if you use a 10W ballast, then you savings can be up to 4W.

Edited by frankloh

Guys,

while we're at calculating the number of 'W' taken, how do we actually calculate how much would it cost us?

for example its charged by 30.45 cents/kWh right?

which means if I use an iron say 2000W, how much would it cost me per hour?

Guys,

while we're at calculating the number of 'W' taken, how do we actually calculate how much would it cost us?

Yup, your calculation is correct.

Guys,

The formula is:

Power in watts / 1000 * hours it is operated * 30.45 cents/kwH

example of a bulb that consumes steady 40W and switch on for 10 hours

40 /1000 * 10 * 30.54 = 12.2 cents

For devices like Iron, fridge, aircon, electric stove, microwave oven can be more tricky to calculate. Although an iron has a rated power of 2000 watt, the thermostat will make it power on and off many times depending on your temperature setting. Even if you operate a fridge 24 hrs day, power is consumed for only about 1 or 2 hours a day only depending on your temperature setting as well as how often you open the door. ;)

sorry to ask

does the energy consumption of a fridge, aircon etc affect as well?

i mean as in if power is consumer 1-2hrs a day, and then the fridge got 3 ticks, compared to 2 ticks, will the difference be alot?

thks ah

I want to add 1 more tip to enenrgy saving.

If you are already using flourscent lights - those long tube ones or circular ones, you can save more energy by changing the mangetic ballast to using electronic ones.

here are the pros and cons in my opinion.

(1) Magnetic ballast waste an extra 10w on average above your lamp usage, while electornic ballast only waste about extra 3w. For example, if your lamp is 36w, you are actually using up 46w of energy when using magnetic ballast. Using electorbnic ballast, you'll be using about 39w, which is lesser.

(2) If you use the program-start type of electronic ballast, this will increase your lamp life also, so you no need to change it as often. The reason is the way it starts up the lamp is less stressful to the tube, and thus the tube won't die as fast.

(3) There is no more flickering of the light when using electronic ballast. Magnetic ballast frequency is the same as the mains - 50Hz, some people can see the flickering at this frequency, but even if you don't notice the flickering it may still affect the light quality. Electronic up convert the frequency to work at above 20,000Hz, so there is no more flickering.

(4) There is no more humming noise from the light - humming noise is due to magnetic ballast.

(5) There is no more flickering on-off-on-off when turning on the light. For electronic ballast, when you turn on the switch, the light very quickly turns on in one step, no more on-off-on-off flickering a few times before turning completely on.

Cons:

(1) electronic ballast is more expensive than mangetic ones. Magnetic ones cost about $6. Good quality branded electronic ballast with latest program-start type technology cost about $20.

(2) Need to pair the ballast with the right florescent tube - I replaced my magnetic ones with electronic ballast. Some lamps I need to switch on and off twice before the lamp will start. I think that it is because if the electronic ballast detect that the lamp did not light up, it will cut the power to the tube, and need to off and on again. The reason the lamp did not start the first time i think is because the electornic ballast is programed to start the lamp at a fixed temperature, but so happen, the lamp was made to start at a different temperature, so the first time did not start, after on and off again, the lamp is still fairly warm from the first time, so it started the second time. So need to find a lamp that matches the ballast i think, which is easy. So just pair up the florescent tube model number with the model of the electronic ballast can already. - if you check online, branded manufacturers will post their electornic ballast manual online, and will state this electronic ballast is compatible for use with what model of their tubes, so simply buy the correct tube model can already, no more problem.

Edited by Frigid

Has anyone seen or heard of EcoBulb in Singapore? Or are they not suitable for local use? Its average service life is 10,000 hours & its Power Factor is 0.93.
EcoBulb Found! $6.50 per bulb in FairPrice.

ecobulbpricejf5.jpg

Hi,

I have replaced all my house bulbs with energy saver bulbs. These new gen lights are so good and have brightness equivalent to the normal old bulbs. I do not think there are any disadvantages in these bulbs.