Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
lawry

Silicon Sealant Or Acrylic Sealant Or Xxx ?

My mum has expressed her irritation about this stretch of sealant adjoining the bifold door and the tiles at the toilet entrance for the longest time.

It's "soggy" and collapsing as she tried to brush the dirt and grime off the sealant surface with a toothbrush.

I finally had time to take a serious look at it yesterday, it's not firm to the touch like solidified sealant, but it's moist and falling apart. I used a screwdriver to poke it, and it went right through! I dug further and managed to dig out a section effortlessly, it's a whole mess of whitey fluid with clumps of clay like material. Seems that it hasn't cured after so many months! I had no idea what type of sealant they used, but it just didn't solidify after so long.

I decided to dig out the whole disgusting stretch and DIY.

I was at the shop yesterday and I saw a few types of sealant, but there are the 2 more common types.

Acrylic Sealant and Silicon Sealant, the description on it doesn't quite explain which is for what purpose.

Anyone got any idea?

I want something that will cure and solidify, preferable mold/mildew free as well, the unknown one last one used by my ID was a total wreck.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I also want to ask the following:

My toilet tiles gaps are getting deeper, I tried filling up with the putty filler but that doesn't last long. After it had dry & when I wash my toilet florrs it came off again! Now there is still parts of gaps in between the tiles. Help!

The existing one used for the door appears to be white cement of the powder-based kind.

Silicon Sealant is the most sticky kind. Can stick to most surfaces, but the problem is can't be painted over. If wanna paint over then use Acrylic Sealant. Acrylic is also able to water wash up, which makes it easier to work with.

As for tile grout, this is common problem. 1 trick I learnt.. is to use white powder based Tile Adhesive to use as grout. It cost more than normal grout, but it is much more durable.

when doing silicon - if you want fast and easy.

use a hair dryer - blow the suface dry dry then apply, after apply blow again.

As for tile grout, this is common problem. 1 trick I learnt.. is to use white powder based Tile Adhesive to use as grout. It cost more than normal grout, but it is much more durable.

Hi yoongf, thanks for the advice! So I can get Tile Adhesive at any hardware store?

Hi yoongf, thanks for the advice! So I can get Tile Adhesive at any hardware store?

I have seen it sold at Homefix, but those are expensive ones, and they normally come in grey colour, but I think sometimes got white colour in stock. They often change their product mix so hard to say still got or not.

I have bought some before at those building material shops that sell cement, tubs of joint compound, not those hardware shop. Need to specifically ask for those that are white in colour.

www.homely.com.sg

Thanks yoongf & Mace for the replies!

I bought Silicon Sealant at your advice since I do want it to stick and I don't need to paint over it.

As for the sealant they used previously, it was in a tube form just like my silicon sealant, squeezed in with a gun,

I started this thread to check because I was afraid I might get the same wrong one.

picture053de6.jpg

The light grey part is the toilet tiles, the dark grey is kitchen tiles.

The door frame is bluish white, my sealant is done in between the frame and the kitchen tiles, not very neatly done, can see the "fibres"

But much nicer than what it was before. :dancingqueen:

Edited by lawry

I have another problem with aircon -_-

For aircon, how big should the gap between the air con and the wall be?

I don't remember seeing this noticeable big gap at my old place.

picture054tn3.jpg

picture055se4.jpg

This gap like quite big?? :bangwall: