Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
thevert

Kitchen Cabinet Problems

Hi all,

The laminates for my kitchen are not cut in a very straight line. The laminate meet/joint lines can be "jagged" !! Can the carpenters remove them and re-paste a new strip?

My laminates are plain glossy type, not those textured ones. Should be easier to cut them straight right?

And some of the cabinet pvc interior have extra drill-holes caused by the carpenters wrong drilling for the hinges. 8| Anyway to rectify? I see them using some white putty-like stuff to fill, but it looks ugly! Any ideas how to rectify or possible to change that horizontal piece? :furious:

Edited by thevert

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Don't think so, they might have to redo the whole piece of wood.

One of my kitchen cabinet has this extra drill-hole done by a well-known carpenter in this forum. No way to rectify except to change the whole piece of wood. Never go for quality check I reckon.

Dare not ask my contractor to change it cos the last time I asked to change the glass door of my dish tray, they did twice but could never get the measurement accurate 8|

"jagged" laminate edge can be fixed either by sanding or re-laminating.

As for mis-drilled holes it's typical dat they'll juz patch with some white cement. To request whole pcs replacement will need some hard bargining.. they probably will juz bring back & re-paste the white sticker laminate to make it less obvious.

Edited by JuzChris

One of my kitchen cabinet has this extra drill-hole done by a well-known carpenter in this forum. No way to rectify except to change the whole piece of wood. Never go for quality check I reckon.

me too, just close 1 eye lah or patch back the hole using putty?? or wat huh?

Problem is I have a few holes, not just 1. 1 hole I can still close 1 eye.

But there are 5 in this photo alone. Some other pieces still have 2 holes.

kitchen-many-holes.jpg

I'm fortunate with that. There wasn't a single mis-drilled hole although I do know it's quite common. (My parents' carpenter made quite a number of mistakes with my wardrobe!)

However, they didn't position the angle our dish rack properly and we ended up having to get them to reposition it. (It couldn't even fit our dinner plates!) It was filled with ugly white putty.

I suggest you check for other more structural defects and who knows, they may have to change the pc of wood with the wrong drill marks too?!

Thks all for the replies. Appreciate them for I am a first-timer in installing top & bottom kitchen cabinets too.

Another question I have is the bottom carpentry top are uneven.

On the left is the cutout hole for my hob/stove.

Will this be an issue in future? Eg: potential area for insects to hide & breed?

Or will it be ok once my granite top is installed on top?

[update]

Just to update the ID feedback the uneven top is due to a 2nd piece of wood to be layered over (the lower section) my sink (I'm doing undermount sink), and then the granite top will be level. Checked the installed granite top today, seems ok. Anyway to check for levelling? Pour water over?

kitchen-uneven-top-sm.jpg

Edited by thevert

Which reno company did you engage?

I don't recommend white putty, especially if they just smear it on like that.

Look at what they did with mine and you will understand. :rolleyes:

Within less than 2 months........

picture071hm0.jpg

As for the difference in height for your table top, get them to find another piece of wood to level it up before they install the granite. This standard is ridiculous.

I've lived in my place for almost 2 months and so far I haven't had my white putty changing colour up until this point.

However, I do agree with lawry that you really shouldn't accept the height differentials.

Start off by asking if there is a reason why there is a height differential in the first place. It looks like a potential breeding ground for lizards/ants if there isnt' a tight seal between the granite top and your kitchen cabinets.

That said, unless you are personally there to witness the granite top being installed, there is a good chance they won't change the cabinet for you. So make sure you use a spirit level to ensure the granite top is level, if nothing at all.

Just a suggestions to get that unsightly mis-drilled holes out of sight. Ask carpenter to just put white putty enough to cover the holes-about size of a 5-cent coin. Ask him to make sure putty is applied smoothly. Now ask carpenter or u can do it yrself, cut the leftover laminate strip to small squarish pieces and glue it on mis-drilled holes.

Thks all for the replies. Appreciate them for I am a first-timer in installing top & bottom kitchen cabinets too.

Another question I have is the bottom carpentry top are uneven.

On the left is the cutout hole for my hob/stove.

Will this be an issue in future? Eg: potential area for insects to hide & breed?

Or will it be ok once my granite top is installed on top?

[update]

Just to update the ID feedback the uneven top is due to a 2nd piece of wood to be layered over (the lower section) my sink (I'm doing undermount sink), and then the granite top will be level. Checked the installed granite top today, seems ok. Anyway to check for levelling? Pour water over?

To check for levelling, use a spirit level. Water is a cheaper but messier alternative and you can't really test it in all directions. Borrow the spirit level from your carpenter or buy a cheap set from Ikea. I think they include in a basic toolbox set that goes for $18 or so.

Hi All,

Would like to seek opinion from forumers on this thread whether the scratches found on my kitchen drawer are acceptable as shown in below pictures. My ID commented that his carpenter said that scatches are inevitable when there are constant opening and closing. However, I find it hard to accept when the house is not yet handover to me to use.

IMG_0824.jpg

IMG_0825.jpg

Scatches are inevitable? Not applicable to ur case lor...

'三结路' shouldn't be abrasive...

Urs is due to poor worksmanship/ carpenters neglience...

The drawers tracks must have enough allowance for it to perform well...

The allowance given to ur tracks r abit too little (1/16 inch more will be perfect)

Lack of tracks allowance will cause the result of urs, track holders scratching the side of drawers, n making it feel abit of tightness when opening...

(Sometimes we can't blame the carpenters, worksmanship can't be perfect at all...)

Solutions:

1) If u're fine wif it (consider ur contractor n carpenters r gd in nature), jus bear with it as its not a major prob... After using it, the track will perform as normal gradually...

2) Demand ur contractor to fabricate a new drawer wif the correct dimensions... (If u sense they're those nasty type)

Edited by de_Pierre