Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
hposnm

Rust On Dishdrainer Rack

I've just noticed little rust spots on my dish drainer rack that were previously not there. We cook 3x/week (easy stir fries, bacon & eggs) and usually don't leave more than 5 sets of utensils to dry overnight. We get the morning sun (doesn't reach the dish drainer) and utensils dry very quickly because of the heat/sunshine we get.

We've just moved in for 2months so I'm a little surprised to see the rust spots appearing so quickly. (Dish drainer at my parents' place have a similar problem but they've lived there for 6-7 years so naturally, some rusting can be expected.)

Does any one else have a similar problem? How long did your rust spots take to appear? How do you get rid of them/if at all?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Your dish drainer is either chrome-plated or galvanised? use a magnet to test whether is it stainless steel material.

Mine happened the same way within less than a month. Told my ID about it and her carpenter insist that it's just DIRTY and not rust. Told us to just wipe it off with a scrub pad. :(

try CIF le. it works to keep S/S clean and from any rust. Tried it out on my rusting piping tip and the rust is gone after some vigorous rubbing at the inside besides the outside

Can also try 3M S/S Cleaner. Available in all home-fix stores.

It cleans & coats a layer of protection film on the rack.

I used it on all my S/S items. A great tip from bro MaCe :good:

No matter how fast it dries, heat + water + Oxygen is a perfect condition for rusting. Nowadays those racks are often made of lower quality grade stainless steel or just coated with chrome.

I would probably try lacquering the dish rack to stop the rust. :paint:

Mine happened the same way within less than a month. Told my ID about it and her carpenter insist that it's just DIRTY and not rust. Told us to just wipe it off with a scrub pad. :(

I'm pretty sure mine can't be removed with a scrub pad but I'll try it tonight.

try CIF le. it works to keep S/S clean and from any rust. Tried it out on my rusting piping tip and the rust is gone after some vigorous rubbing at the inside besides the outside

Thanks for this. I'll try CIF.

Can also try 3M S/S Cleaner. Available in all home-fix stores.

It cleans & coats a layer of protection film on the rack.

I used it on all my S/S items. A great tip from bro MaCe :good:

I'll keep a look out for this S/S cleaner. i'll do the magnet test tonight 1st though to see if it's really S/S.

so any idea dishdrainer is better to use S/S or plastic material.

If it is better to get S/S, which shop carries a better range, in build-quality-wise?

(Hoe Kee? Poh Joo?...)

I tested mine with a magnet and there wasn't any adhesive capabilities so I assume it's not S/S. Sigh.

jpcc -- if you're getting a dish drainer, be sure to make sure the carpenter installs it correctly. Pass him a sample plate/bowl/mug and tell him to ensure during installation that the placements of the various parts fit your plate/bowl/mug