Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
shark

Roll Front Cabinet In Aluminium

for kitchen, i've seen photos that instead of using the traditional wood cabinet door, some use the roll up cabinet (aluminium) for ,eg the middle section of the whole height cabinets. u know..those u slide up, like the aluminium door of a shop?

anyone utilise this in your kitchen? is it long lasting? with everyone pulling...will it spoilt easily?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
for kitchen, i've seen photos that instead of using the traditional wood cabinet door, some use the roll up cabinet (aluminium) for ,eg the middle section of the whole height cabinets. u know..those u slide up, like the aluminium door of a shop?

anyone utilise this in your kitchen? is it long lasting? with everyone pulling...will it spoilt easily?

I had 4 Ikea home office furniture cabinet with roll up cabinet doors and such doors were difficult to handle after awhile. It was quite an effort to roll up to access to the cabinets and the same to pull down to close the cabinet. :furious:

After this experience with the roller cabinet door, I made a mental note not to use such again.

For our renovation, we went shopping and saw a few of such roller cabinet doors for kitchen. I noticed that Ikea's roller cabinet doors displayed are a much improved type. However, we reckon that we will probably have the same problem with these doors over time, especially in the kitchen when there is a higher possible chance of the inner tracks getting stuck with grime.

cabinetry%20-%20doors%20n%20storage%202.

[see picture with the bread] Click here for more pixs

That's the flip and slide cabinet door that we will be using for the spice & condiment rack.

Edited by kastlekonfusion

kastlekonfusion. hi..thx for the feedback. i do suspect the roll up cabinet door may not last long. ok.. i like the design with the bread one also....

This type? We installed it for our dishrack cabinet, but after a while, it has always remain in the open position. :D

dsc02062ks6.jpg

dsc02063wc6.jpg

kastlekonfusion. hi..thx for the feedback. i do suspect the roll up cabinet door may not last long. ok.. i like the design with the bread one also....

I suppose there are a few ways local cabinet makers would make this type of flip and slide cabinet door.

I have seen a sample at Atlantis Lifestyle showroom (IMM) and didn't quite like that one as it does not slide in easily.

I can't remember for the life of me where I have the one where there is a guide so the door slide in easier. Ikea maybe?

As for those hinges & flap system for the upper cabinet, I find it tiring to pull it down.

Anyway, such are things one must highlight to the cabinet maker/ID/contractor as they won't know that's what we prefer.

Perhaps I'm the fussy pot - I specified where I want certain type of drawers & cabinets; the interior dimension of the spice and condiments cabinets; pantry cabinets [must fit toyogo boxes]; etc.

Well, we will be the one using the kitchen and surely, we know the workflow in the kitchen that we are used to better.

Good Luck to your renovation! :)

kastlekonfusion, sounds like you are doing a detail planning on your kitchen reno. me too! but i've just started. actually, i renovation my current apartment previously, so feel that more or less i know what i m looking for in my new place. however, will grab whatever excellent ideas you may have. u have any blog here that you share photos and thoughts?

in terms of drawer, r u going to have different height? for convenience, i m just going to have standard equal sized for the 4 drawers.

i have a small kitchen, and am thinking to have an open concept, but need to balance that with kids around. r u having an open concept kitchen?

any extra cost for this kind of aluminium rollups?

i was thinking of using it and then add another but use hydraulics

any pictures for flip and slide cabinet door?

thanks v much

in terms of drawer, r u going to have different height? for convenience, i m just going to have standard equal sized for the 4 drawers.

You should rethink this if all your bottom cabinets are drawer-type (which is easier to take things compared to cupboard-type). Usually the topmost drawers are for cutlery and utensils, so what use is it if it is more than the usual height of the cultery tray or your largest soup scoop etc. And if you have tall pots/containers, they will not fit your 4 equal drawers. Assume table top height is about 85 cm; minus base of 5 cm; minus ~10 cm of solid top+wood thicknes betw drawers, your drawers will be max only 17.5-18 cm externally, 15-16 cm internally, maybe even smaller.

You should assess what are the things you need to keep in the drawers then plan what goes where and the height required. Mine are all drawers except the below sink area. It's 3 rows about 15, 25, 33 external height from top to bottom. I want to store higher pots and other things in the bottom drawers.

carelinwen'

hi..i m thinking to have traditional cabinets in my kitchen, and 4 set of drawers in one column. the traditional way. you mean, your kitchen, you use drawer types rather than cabinet on the bottom? is that better? i have a small kitchen, will they still possible to have drawers on bottom? cost wise, is it the same?

do u have photos to share for your kitchen?

carelinwen'

hi..i m thinking to have traditional cabinets in my kitchen, and 4 set of drawers in one column. the traditional way. you mean, your kitchen, you use drawer types rather than cabinet on the bottom? is that better? i have a small kitchen, will they still possible to have drawers on bottom? cost wise, is it the same?

do u have photos to share for your kitchen?

Yes mine all drawers below, it's easier to access things but of course it will be higher cost as more wood and drawer tracks are used compared to just a door with hinges. It depends on your usage and preference. At my mum's place with the traditional cabinets, we always end up have to sit on floor and slowly shift things ard when need to get the lesser used dinnerware or bakeware out. So for my new place I planned to have more drawers.

Click here for the pics my HB posted. Not completed and now busy so never update.

Edited by carelinwen

[is there difference with pull out drawers vs cabinet, but with pull out trays? i install the pull out trays in my current home, and thinking to do teh same for my new home.

which is more expensive?

[is there difference with pull out drawers vs cabinet, but with pull out trays? i install the pull out trays in my current home, and thinking to do teh same for my new home.

which is more expensive?

Should not be much difference as it will be the number of drawers hinges that matters. The difference in wood amount and cabinet hinges used will not make much price differenceif it's the same amount of drawers/trays in total.

I prefer drawers as I don't want to open a cabinet then pull out (2 action) to access an item. Also the door hinge may result in more allowance needed there, then drawers become narrower. Depends on type of hinges used, some can open more than 180 degrees to aid pulling out drawers. It really depends on your preference. My cabinet under the oven has pull out trays, so you can have combination of different types to suit purpose and look.

kastlekonfusion, sounds like you are doing a detail planning on your kitchen reno. me too! but i've just started. actually, i renovation my current apartment previously, so feel that more or less i know what i m looking for in my new place. however, will grab whatever excellent ideas you may have. u have any blog here that you share photos and thoughts?

Detailed planning with Google Sketchup

Tom is more detailed than I am when it comes to planning such things. He will measure everything in the house and draw all these items on 2D in Illustrator so it would be easier for us to plan where to put our furniture and the like.

Can you imagine how he's like when he found Google SketchUp lately? For the first few nights, he didn't sleep much as he was checking out every possible tool in SketchUp to draw our floor plan, kitchen plan, tv feature wall cabinet and the like.

This is plan that Tom had done for our kitchen using Google SketchUp:-

Cabinet%20Planning.jpg

I suppose since we are going to have cabinets made to measure, we will want to make sure we have the right space at the right place to put most if not all our stuff.

Blog on Cabinetry

I have just added 2 entries to my blog and I'll be adding more as I go along:-

Cabinet Planning With Sketchup

Cabinet Planning - Measurements

Blum's Dynamic Space website

Blum's Dynamic Space website is an interesting and informative read which helped in our planning of the kitchen. Perhaps you wanna check it out.

Looking at Dynamic Space Zone Planner , I think our kitchen set up is perhaps a combination of 2 Lshaped and a gallery kitchen setup.

i have a small kitchen, and am thinking to have an open concept, but need to balance that with kids around. r u having an open concept kitchen?

I read your other post about kitchen space planning. How old are your kids?

Setting "No Kids Zone"

When my 2 kids were younger [1-3 years old], we set a 'no kids zone' that they understand and if they step beyond that point without permission, they would be send to the 'punishing corner' [a cosy corner with only 2 stools] :lol: Perhaps my kids are the kia si type; every now and then, I would remind them what they shouldn't do in the kitchen, ie pointing to the hob, "Mummy loves you very much and does not want you to get hurt. So don't touch this as it will hurt you badly. And this is NOT a toy."

My 1st kitchen with young toddlers

We didn't have an open concept kitchen as our style of cooking is rather heavy. We had fish tank that separates the kitchen and the lounge. In that way, I could keep an eye on them when I'm busy in the kitchen.

My 2nd kitchen with young children

In our other kitchen, they got older [4-5 years old] and was able to help out in the kitchen, ie beat eggs, wash rice, setting up the table, clearing their plates from the table and putting them into the sink. Child labour? :lol: I suppose it was quite fun for them. If you have space in the kitchen, set up a counter where they can have a bite in there or a place for them to doodle when you are busy in the kitchen.

New kitchen + young adults

They loved to be referred to as young adults now [14 & 15 years old]. For this kitchen, we have different work space for different purpose.

Left of Kitchen

Cabinet%20Planning%20-%20Left.jpg

On the left, that's where the preparation of food would take place and where the washing up would be done.

For this area, I work around Tom's morning habit: -

-- pour milk into cereal bowl -- plonk cereal bowl of milk into microwave oven to heat it up -- return milk carton into fridge -- take ReadyBrek oats container and stand near microwave oven and wait -- when milk is done, pour ReadyBrek oats into bowl and stir -- return ReadyBrek oats container to cabinet [done most of the time. :D] -- then have his breakfast. :)

This is the setup for the right of the kitchen: -

Cabinet%20Planning%20-%20Right.jpg

Nearest to the lounge, we have a bar counter made. In that way, we need not go in and out of the kitchen so many times for serving or when we clear the dining table after meals. At that area, we will have rice cooker and probably a slow cooker for soup. Also, that's where we will boil water and make hot beverages too. And in upper cabinet, that's where we will have the bottles of alcohol for mixing drinks. We have also allowed space for a blender. In a way, it's almost like a restaurant serving ledge.

Prep Sink

We will have another prep sink in this area. It is rather inconvenient to have only 1 sink in the kitchen. Many a times when we needed a clean sink to prepare something, crabs for instance, the sink had some soiled crockery or the sink was soapy. Then the maid had to spend some time to clean up the sink area before we could proceed.

Hob area

I think we can have 4 people at this area at the same time looking after different cooking. :)

hi, kastlekonfusion, THANKS HEAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i only have short time now to reply, but your information is extremely informative, especially the google sketch. am going to try it out!

write again soon.......... will check out the web you've provided too!!!!!!!!

my boy is 14 months now..and planning for 2nd. we do love open concept..so will probably end up similar concept to our current home, ie, breakfast counter.