Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
wjzkev

Replacing Room Wall With Glass Panels

Hi All,

for those who have already done or abt to do it? How did your contractor / id do it for you? Full Height meaning from cieling to ground or not fully touch ground meaning there is a bit of the wall left? also any damages done to ur flooring where they relay part of it again?

t.i.a

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

seen a showroom, is half height glass, top still got a little wall left. Meaning: from feet level to about thigh is wall, then glass, then near to ceiling, left still a little bit of wall.

Do full height abit overkill look. Coz surrounding are cement wall, then suddenly a glass wall, the transistion abit harsh. Do half height is pretty nice classy look, with sandblast is nicer.

Construction wise, need to leave abit of wall to hold and support the glass better. Of coz u can do a frameless one is not impossible. e.g those office kind of look.

seen a showroom, is half height glass, top still got a little wall left. Meaning: from feet level to about thigh is wall, then glass, then near to ceiling, left still a little bit of wall.

Do full height abit overkill look. Coz surrounding are cement wall, then suddenly a glass wall, the transistion abit harsh. Do half height is pretty nice classy look, with sandblast is nicer.

Construction wise, need to leave abit of wall to hold and support the glass better. Of coz u can do a frameless one is not impossible. e.g those office kind of look.

Hi Thanks for your reply, i was inform by the during discussion phase it is not advisable to hack the whole wall completly. instead to leave a bit of the wall at the bottom as this is to prevent any chance to "wack" the floor (in the living room tiles, room "parquay" flooring") wherte he claims it may adverse effects on the rest of the tiles or wooden strips.

But your idea is pretty good so thanks for the reply once again

check out the t-blog of a fellow renotalker, think it's sakae (with or without the sushi :P )

he did two glass walls for his daughter's room

however, do bear in mind that anything more than 8ft may not fit into the lift

so your ID/contractor might charge more to have someone carry the piece of glass up (charge per floor)

as for the flooring, it can be done with damaging the floor

the concern is more of the void i.e. where the wall used to stand

some use mosaic strips to cover the void while others just replace the tiles/parquet flooring for the affected area :yamseng:

Hi Thanks for your reply, i was inform by the during discussion phase it is not advisable to hack the whole wall completly. instead to leave a bit of the wall at the bottom as this is to prevent any chance to "wack" the floor (in the living room tiles, room "parquay" flooring") wherte he claims it may adverse effects on the rest of the tiles or wooden strips.

But your idea is pretty good so thanks for the reply once again

hi,

agreed not to hack the whole wall down. i also had my study room wall replaced by a glass panel. But my contractor cut a very big hole & install the glass. the up, down, left , right of the wall can substain the weight & pressure of the glass..

hi,

agreed not to hack the whole wall down. i also had my study room wall replaced by a glass panel. But my contractor cut a very big hole & install the glass. the up, down, left , right of the wall can substain the weight & pressure of the glass..

Thanks all for the reply, worrying things is the prrssure of the glass. yes design do come in the mind but if there is no safety i rather forgo the looks. thanks all once again iw ill speak to 2 other contractors and get a common feedback

check out this link for sakae_sushi's glass room

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22619825@N07/

don't think there's anything to worry about

afterall, we don't see any of our glass buildings collapsing right? :notti:

i oso hacking a whole piece of wall n placing a panel of glass, together with a glass door.

Id say no issues, his hm also did de same thing. advised me to go his place have a look :) although i m still abit worried

Hi All,

for those who have already done or abt to do it? How did your contractor / id do it for you? Full Height meaning from cieling to ground or not fully touch ground meaning there is a bit of the wall left? also any damages done to ur flooring where they relay part of it again?

t.i.a

I am going to costruct a glass "wall" for my study room. The glass wall will be touching the ground but not the ceiling as they are constructing a beam from the ceiling to hold the glass. As there is also a glass door and the height of the glass door will be similar to height of the glass wall. They have just built the beam and will be fixing the glass panel in early August. Will update it in my T-blog. Keep u guys updated then.

I am going to costruct a glass "wall" for my study room. The glass wall will be touching the ground but not the ceiling as they are constructing a beam from the ceiling to hold the glass. As there is also a glass door and the height of the glass door will be similar to height of the glass wall. They have just built the beam and will be fixing the glass panel in early August. Will update it in my T-blog. Keep u guys updated then.

how many mm thick is de glass panel u use?

how many mm thick is de glass panel u use?

My ID gave me 12mm thick glass panel and informed me that the price is higher than 10mm one. Actually I understand that most of the HDB uses 10mm but as my ID got experience of 10mm glass panel shattering so advice me to get 12mm.

My ID gave me 12mm thick glass panel and informed me that the price is higher than 10mm one. Actually I understand that most of the HDB uses 10mm but as my ID got experience of 10mm glass panel shattering so advice me to get 12mm.

how much more to change to 12mm huh?

how much more to change to 12mm huh?

I need to check with my ID as the initial quote is 12mm already. My initial quote is $1880 for a glass door and a glass panel. The glass panel is about 3.9m in length. height is 1.9m. Pls take note as the ID is my friend and she gave me cost to cost.