Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ahjane

Kitchen Makeover

i am planning on a kitchen makeover comprising of hacking the floor and and wall tiles, old cabinets, basin and stove support as well as the storeroom. Mine is a 20 years old HDB flat...so storeroom can be hacked.

I read in some deco mag that either ICI or NIppon paint came out with a Teflon coated paint that make wall stainless or rather non-stick...similar to non-stick pan. I considering it as an alternative to laying new wall tiles. Not sure about the cost yet which is more cost saving. But that is only on the side of the kitchen that has no stove..jus plain blank wall with a fridge as well as the window side of the kitchen.

as for the other side of the kitchen wall with all the cabinet and stove..why is there a need to lay tiles when 80% is covered with cabinet? the only exposed area is commonly covered with stainless steel or tempered glass backsplash...

it seems tat tiles money is wasted in kitchen....

anyone has good advice? appreciate..thanks

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
i am planning on a kitchen makeover comprising of hacking the floor and and wall tiles, old cabinets, basin and stove support as well as the storeroom. Mine is a 20 years old HDB flat...so storeroom can be hacked.

I read in some deco mag that either ICI or NIppon paint came out with a Teflon coated paint that make wall stainless or rather non-stick...similar to non-stick pan. I considering it as an alternative to laying new wall tiles. Not sure about the cost yet which is more cost saving. But that is only on the side of the kitchen that has no stove..jus plain blank wall with a fridge as well as the window side of the kitchen.

as for the other side of the kitchen wall with all the cabinet and stove..why is there a need to lay tiles when 80% is covered with cabinet? the only exposed area is commonly covered with stainless steel or tempered glass backsplash...

if you really cant stand the old wall tiles, then hack it away. Re-plaster again and paint over.

these days, wall tiles are passe already.

however, re-plaster wall is not that cheap. so u got to weigh this cost.

as for that small wall area at the kitchen cabinet, just put up stainless steel or tempered glass will do.

thanks for assuring my thoughts.

one more thing to seek advice...changing of window...the whole tingy ....change 1st or hack wall tiles 1st???

cos it is different contractors...me considering the BESTVIEW sliding cum casement window tingy for my kitchen...

thanks

I'm also having the wall tiles of kitchen smoothen and paint over with exterior paint...save cost

but come with glass/stainless stell between the top and bottom kitchen cabitnet.

wall need to be paint is only half size of kitchen

come to think about it, actually i dun need to hack the wall tiles..jus plaster over to smooth and paint over?

cos of the hacking of storeroom and floor tiles,.. by not hacking the wall tiles may not result in great saving as contractor would have charge a fixed hacking price regardless what is hack...i suspose..correct me if i am wrong..

will consult the contractor for detailed pricing hacking and whether charges are itemised or in general hacking cost is a lump sum regardless surface area..

come to think about it, actually i dun need to hack the wall tiles..jus plaster over to smooth and paint over?

cos of the hacking of storeroom and floor tiles,.. by not hacking the wall tiles may not result in great saving as contractor would have charge a fixed hacking price regardless what is hack...i suspose..correct me if i am wrong..

will consult the contractor for detailed pricing hacking and whether charges are itemised or in general hacking cost is a lump sum regardless surface area..

hacking is cheap. always remember this. if yr contractor over charge u on this, highlight this to him. let him know u did yr homework.

its the new tiling of wall tiles tat are expensive, coz it needs skills and time to do wall tiles. wall tiles are harder to do than floor tiles.

Hacking of the kitchen wall tiles

Our renovation project workers cement screed over the kitchen wall tiles. Our ID, Mr Tan said that it's better to keep these wall tiles. The bottom few are the crucial ones that they prefer to maintain to prevent having any waterproofing issues.

Changing of windows

We'd Decorille BestView Slide & Swing window panels installed in the lounge. It's a breeze to use them. :)

Our renovation project workers waited for the Decorille workers to finish installing the BestView Slide & Swing window panels before starting to cement screed that side of the walls.

Perhaps you would like to check with your ID or your renovation contractor when is best for Decorille to send their fellas over.

thanks for the advice....

to lay new wall tiles or replaster, i will go ahead of hacking the old wall tiles (20 years old HDB abt 4 x 10cm) as i am also concern tiles may pop out in another 20 years to come. i will ask the contractor to quote me price for new wall tiles as compare to replaster and paint.

as for the stove and cabinet side of the kitchen...since it will be once again covered in cabinet. Will jus replaster the area covered by cabinet plus lay either backsplash or new tiles on the exposed area at the stove area. like tat, no concern on tiles popping...and damaging new cabinets....peace of my mind. although i have yet to hear any stories in tiles popping...beside new punggol HDB flats.

i am someone whom like the replaint the house every 5 years...staying in my flat for 8 years...i already repainted once last year (7th year).

Yes, i am getting the Best view window so that i can fully utilise all the hanging holes. now can only use 4...cos the basin support at the window prevent me from reaching the other 3.

any good advice is deeply appreciated.

Hacking of the kitchen wall tiles

Our renovation project workers cement screed over the kitchen wall tiles. Our ID, Mr Tan said that it's better to keep these wall tiles. The bottom few are the crucial ones that they prefer to maintain to prevent having any waterproofing issues.

my flat is 20 years old..so i am concern about tiles popping. i dun even know if this is jus my paranoid or real concern...

Your suggestion is to have bottom wall tiles for water proofing. i susposed this is for the stove and basin area which i agree it makes sense. this would mean laying NEW wall tiles for the bottom cabinet area. will consult my contractor.

thanks

I am also doing a kitchen makeover. Will hack floor tiles, hv new kitchen cabinet and solid surface top. Hacking starting this week. Cannot wait to get it started .. and complete within a mth. decided not to go ahead with kitchen wall tiles hacking, as it will be over my budget.