Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Hi...I've engaged ID before to renovate my current home. In my next home, I am considering Contractor too. But can someone tell me what's contractor roles and responsibilities and how is that different from ID. I know ID provide design. but i m going to just renovate mainly my Kitchen and master bedroom bathroom. the rest are some minor stuff like shoe cabinet and false ceiling, and painting.

I know what style of shoe cabinet i want, and more or less i know how i want my kitchen to look like. But does Contractor do the following:

1) give me ideas on the types of materials i can use?

2) will they measure the site and give me drawings so i can visualise and confirm our ideas are the same

3) if i redo my bathroom, will they know the floor of the shower area needs to be slanted to let the water out? how detail do i need to be?

4) will they be able to advice me if my ideas / materials / design doesn't work due to whatever reasons, such as material not suitable, not layout not suitable or size cannot fit, etc.

please advice

also.

5) will they bring me shopping for materials?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

1) he will suggest, but dun expect him to give u fancy ideas if u r totally clueless abt wat u want to do.

2) they definately have to measure the site b4 they do ur carpentary i dunno abt ur contractor, but the 1 i approached, he got provide hand-drawn 3D drawings.

3) a professional contractor will knw wat to do, but if u scare just remind them abt it lor. or u tiam tiam, until he finish and if u find the water cannot flow properly, u can ASK FOR DISCOUNTS *laughs evily*

4) diferent contractors work in differnt ways, cant advise u much on this one

5) if u need they bring u for shopping, prepare to pay more lor, but usually they wont have time for this kind of things. if u really that clueless, i suggest u get an ID bah... but then, not all ID have good taste... and u never knw if their choice will be to ur liking.. so better depend on urself.

Edited by mud3210

Better dont tiam tiam (hahaha ask MUD said)), tell them again and dont assume they know what you want. Assume they dont know is better than assume they know.

For shopping I prefer to go with my family...though very siong but enjoyable as every family member got to see and visits all those shop lights and accessories.

If no time, then as MUD auggested, go with you ID. Beware that ID/contractors might earn some commission when they bring you to shop. Mean, price will be much higher than walk in customers.

Good Luck!

Hi...I've engaged ID before to renovate my current home. In my next home, I am considering Contractor too. But can someone tell me what's contractor roles and responsibilities and how is that different from ID. I know ID provide design. but i m going to just renovate mainly my Kitchen and master bedroom bathroom. the rest are some minor stuff like shoe cabinet and false ceiling, and painting.

I know what style of shoe cabinet i want, and more or less i know how i want my kitchen to look like. But does Contractor do the following:

1) give me ideas on the types of materials i can use?

2) will they measure the site and give me drawings so i can visualise and confirm our ideas are the same

3) if i redo my bathroom, will they know the floor of the shower area needs to be slanted to let the water out? how detail do i need to be?

4) will they be able to advice me if my ideas / materials / design doesn't work due to whatever reasons, such as material not suitable, not layout not suitable or size cannot fit, etc.

please advice

also.

5) will they bring me shopping for materials?

If you have some idea on what kind of design you want, then contractor is the way to go. Moreover, some contractors are just in name only and some do know how to design too. Some prefer to call themselves contractors because they also provide sub-con services to other id renovation companies/agencies.

1. Usually they will. But I would advice you to have some basic knowledge of the materials 1st.

2. Yes they will measure. Drawing maybe yes maybe no.

3.They should know. They are suppose to be professional in their field. But its best if you remind them, especially when nowadays there are other workers from sh.it countries like China. If they employ Malaysian workers then should be ok coz usually they know what to do.

4. If they are responsible they will. But you must see if their reasons are logical or not. Hence I said you must at least have some basic knowledge about the materials.

If you have some idea on what kind of design you want, then contractor is the way to go. Moreover, some contractors are just in name only and some do know how to design too. Some prefer to call themselves contractors because they also provide sub-con services to other id renovation companies/agencies.

1. Usually they will. But I would advice you to have some basic knowledge of the materials 1st.

2. Yes they will measure. Drawing maybe yes maybe no.

3.They should know. They are suppose to be professional in their field. But its best if you remind them, especially when nowadays there are other workers from sh.it countries like China. If they employ Malaysian workers then should be ok coz usually they know what to do.

4. If they are responsible they will. But you must see if their reasons are logical or not. Hence I said you must at least have some basic knowledge about the materials.

It depend on your luck when comes to choosing contractor...

A bad but hardworking contractor - You said "Can you help me hack away that wall to make my living room more spacial?" Contractor replied " Yes ,My lord" He get it done immediately and next thing u know is ur dream home had been charged by developer for hacking down the pillar.. $$$ gone.

A good and honest contractor - You said " Can you help me hack away that wall to make my living room more spacial? " Contractor replied " I would definitely be at ur service but that wall is a pillar, it can still be done if u insist." Got work , $$$ comes.

A good ID - You said " Can you help me hack away that wall to make my living room more spacial? " ID replied " Please don't, it is a pillar and moreover the wall act as a partition for your study room and the living room. Look at the space planning i had done for u." Let the ID coordinate.

Haha. Just for some gags. Hope u all enjoy.

Can I add in something...

A lazy contractor - You said "Can you help me hack away that wall to take my living room more spacial?" Contractor replied " Cannot lah, cannot be done, very hard to hack." He will give lots of excuses and contractors reason.

Cheers and be happy!

It depend on your luck when comes to choosing contractor...

A bad but hardworking contractor - You said "Can you help me hack away that wall to make my living room more spacial?" Contractor replied " Yes ,My lord" He get it done immediately and next thing u know is ur dream home had been charged by developer for hacking down the pillar.. $$$ gone.

A good and honest contractor - You said " Can you help me hack away that wall to make my living room more spacial? " Contractor replied " I would definitely be at ur service but that wall is a pillar, it can still be done if u insist." Got work , $$$ comes.

A good ID - You said " Can you help me hack away that wall to make my living room more spacial? " ID replied " Please don't, it is a pillar and moreover the wall act as a partition for your study room and the living room. Look at the space planning i had done for u." Let the ID coordinate.

Haha. Just for some gags. Hope u all enjoy.

don't be fooled by names. contractors and ids are simply a label. these days anybody can call themselves ids or contractors, and there is no law against that, unlike doctors or lawyers, etc.

hence many contractors now call themselves "ID"s and many ids are simply doing the work of contractors.

some ids cannot design but can supervise well and some contractors can give u good drawings but do a poor job.

b4 i did my reno, one of the leading contenders for my reno (he called himself an id) was someone who had no backgrd in reno or contractor!! he was a hdb technical officer, a poly grad. i had a good impression of him and wanted to give him the job, except at the last minute he was unable to respond in a timely manner.

so whether id or contractor, impt u do backgrd checks first on their work and see if u like what u see, then proceed to negotiate prices with the guy u decide to employ -- be it contractor or id.

cheers

Edited by BlueFly

hi all,

i have a question!

just how do u identify and contact contractors? Hubs and I already have an idea of what we want (even draw on graph paper oredi hehehehehehe)

so far all the companies i am looking at call themselves ID? so really ID or contractor? any way to identify? don't want to end up having to pay ID and ID-rates for subcontracting stuff if you get what i mean...

thanks!

The single biggest difference between ID firms & RC is the design element, followed by the incremental cost. But some ids are able to provide quotations lower than contractors. Even many local id firms started out as renovation contractors.

Therefore the ID firm must be able to:-

1. Create ***** concepts & corresponding theme which delights the client for your flat.
  2. Provide space planning & the corresponding furniture layout plan
  3. Present realistic full colour perspective drawings on all carpentry works, which the client can use to compare with the final product
  4. provide advice on the selection of lights, furniture & accessories.
If u don't need these services, then you can consider opting for a vastly experienced RC. For those who want their house to look good, go for an ID but make sure it is one who can provide design concepts & themes based on your preferences which must be communicated to the ID - ie design first, reasonable price later. Do not go on price alone. I don't think anyone wanting to buy designer goods based their buying decision on price alone. Then again I am not equating interior design as designer goods, unlike it is designed by Philippe Starck.

IDs can only express their creativity & design concepts when they are given the appropriate space & adequate budget. IDs can also do what RCs do but few RCs can do what ID does. If you can find an experienced ID who can provide all the renovation works you need within your budget and accepts your project, go for an ID. At the end of the day, whether the HR is an ID or a RC, they are still in sales: ID's earnings are based on commission while RC's profit is the difference of your payments and their costs from their subcontractors, unless one go for pure ID firms such as box.id.

Regardless whether you engage ID or RC, your house only looks as good as the person providing the lowest level of workmanship in the entire renovation value delivery chain. Thus the ability of the ID/RC to manage & quality control the output of the ground workers is very important.

the funniest thing just happened - related to this topic.

hubs and i went to creative living fair at expo this weekend. We were stopped by this ID, and i told him that we actually already had an idea of what we wanted to do...he say nemind sit down and talk.

as the discussion progressed, he ask "can i help you to design this - tv console, dining table etc etcetc"

everytime we say not.

and he suddenly sit back and say - then what do u need me for!! :o

so in the end he say he is purely an interior designer, what we want, we might as well go find contractor to do, it will be a lot cheaper for us. if want he can do for us, but will be a lot more expensive, and kind of cheating our money because in the end he never do anywork!

so amazing hor?

so contractor and id got difference one!!!!! :P

yes it sure is. Some even will dig a large profit. But still it depends on individual IDs.

Most ID are work within a recognise dealer. Therefore if the staff resign or quit others staff still can carry on ur project. Likewise if any hippcups along the way and you had feel very unpleasant you may seek from the higher management within the company. But you must be firm on what are the things had happen.

Contractors some are a bit like mobile. They can shift here and there if it is a small scale company. So if any thing happen they can just shift to another location and can even change company name.

Both are a risk. Is just depends how the owner want to take which risk. Furthermore as a consumer whichever we choose we are still on the losing side.

yes it sure is. Some even will dig a large profit. But still it depends on individual IDs.

Most ID are work within a recognise dealer. Therefore if the staff resign or quit others staff still can carry on ur project. Likewise if any hippcups along the way and you had feel very unpleasant you may seek from the higher management within the company. But you must be firm on what are the things had happen.

Contractors some are a bit like mobile. They can shift here and there if it is a small scale company. So if any thing happen they can just shift to another location and can even change company name.

Both are a risk. Is just depends how the owner want to take which risk. Furthermore as a consumer whichever we choose we are still on the losing side.

Hi. would you be so kind to PM me your ID's details. Thanks.