Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tingwei_98

Need Help - I Wan To Build My Own Wardrobe. Attach Design Of My Drawings

Hi guys i'm building my own wardrobe. ALONE!! :( **any kind soul wanna help me build together?** LOL

need some advise.. I'm buying wood, nails, and screw to build this wardrobe.

was thinking if i should leave it to the expert which will cost me around ALOT

or build this on my own with just less then $500.. and advise on my design..

oh and it's a sliding door with it and also a sliding mirror behind the door so i can slide out.

Till now i still cant figure out how the **** am i going to build the sliding door part

awdav6.jpg

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

mmm.. if yr budget is around $500, I'm sure Ikea might have something ard this price range which saves u the trouble? u can bring home and assemble yrself if u like DIY.. u are buying wood and saw yrself? how abt laminate?

mmm.. if yr budget is around $500, I'm sure Ikea might have something ard this price range which saves u the trouble? u can bring home and assemble yrself if u like DIY.. u are buying wood and saw yrself? how abt laminate?

actually i went ikea see already price is ex, height can't fit width too long.. totally can't get what i want cos my stupid room design sux height only 230 width 190 so kinda hard to find also.. i went to source for wood, price is cheap, wit free laminate and cut to my desire length.. get the wood cut and send it to my place, then i will have to drill it all up.. but have trouble with the sliding door part ..

sliding door is a bit difficult to do... why dun u opt for doors with hinges... i think it will be cheaper and a lot easier...

building a wardrobe sounds fun... i shall attempt to try that too..

can i knw where u source for the wood? hw come the laminate comes free?,.. so good?

sliding door is a bit difficult to do... why dun u opt for doors with hinges... i think it will be cheaper and a lot easier...

building a wardrobe sounds fun... i shall attempt to try that too..

can i knw where u source for the wood? hw come the laminate comes free?,.. so good?

my room is kinda small that's why sliding door is the best!! put a sliding mirror behinD door slide it out when u need can liao.. it'll be perfect le.. haha!

my room is kinda small that's why sliding door is the best!! put a sliding mirror behinD door slide it out when u need can liao.. it'll be perfect le.. haha!

actually i haven started building and buying the stuff yet.. but went to kelantan lane there to find my wood one.. there's a building yellow in color around there 5 story one not sure what name is the bldg.. first level can see them already big shop.. u can ask people around there.. what are u building? doing it alone?

w

Use double grooves alumn tracks for the sliding door.

Too long to describe the whole process; I do finish typing & submit reply earlier but the page is gone.

U need to have the require tools and skill to apply the self-adhesive glue onto the laminates and plywoods and aim accurately to stick them together.

Edited by gladyslim

Use double grooves alumn tracks for the sliding door.

Too long to describe the whole process; I do finish typing & submit reply earlier but the page is gone.

U need to have the require tools and skill to apply the self-adhesive glue onto the laminates and plywoods and aim accurately to stick them together.

hmmm.. sounds kinda chim leh.... can please please type again for me? :yamseng: heh...

If you need help for a physical look of such wardrobe to gain more ideas of how to do it & you are near TPY, can drop by my place. Just pm me.

I bought a ready-made wardrobe with sliding door + inner sliding mirror.

:yamseng:

Here is a schematic on how to do the sliding door, picture taken from a brochure:

This is heavy duty single railing steel track for like heavy solid timber door.

It is to be mounted to the front/behind of the wall. Let say if your kitchen door entrance is L900mm, the track should be more than double the lenght of the door.

What I mentioned is alumn double grooves/railing tracks which is mounted onto the internal length of the cabinet like those for sliding glass door of the cabinet.

hmmm.. sounds kinda chim leh.... can please please type again for me? :yamseng: heh...

I tried twice but no idea why each time I submit reply, I am marked as log out.

make it short:

plywoods & laminates come in 1220mm x 2440mm, so your unit need to be in 2 and join together.

18mm thk spvc ply for the both end panel, the top and bottom pcs.

all others in DPVC. The sliding door is also spvc but the doors may warp if u use solid ply as whole pce door, i.e to say u have to 'zha ban'

If u are using BBCC ply, u better don't buy imports from china, the stripes of wood is very fine and it normally have worms attack but it is cheap.

There is price differences in carpentry using plywood of solid type or BBCC and between sabah and china plywood and the 'zha ban' method; i.e 2 pcs 3mm ply to sandwhich 20mm or more thicker plank. There is also some co using recycle ply to give u a better price.

wow, didn't know so much knowledge to learn on plywood alone.

OT abit: I wanna do a low height wall. Centre empty, dimension (3ft x 3ft x 4inch). What kind of plywood should I tell the supplier to cut for me, what thickness ply, so that no warp and no worms problem over time? Intend to plaster the surface remove the wood grains before painting.

This sounds like a fun project so here goes. The doors in your case will basically have no structural value. It's sole purpose is for asthetics and to keep dust n nasties out. Make it as light and stiff as you can. Check out DAMA for acrylic mirrors, its half the weight of glass and a much safer option.

A 3 panel track system (2 panels for door, 1 panel for the mirror) will be easier to implement then a 2 panel system with a pocket mirror panel. You can choose to have 3 panels to fully close your wardrobe or 2 panels with the mirror panel hidden behind either one of the other 2 panels.

Buying off the shelve 3 track sliding mechanism will be both costly and bulky. for a DIY solution, go check out sliding window replacement nylon rollers and solid aluminium rods in the 4-6mm diameter range to suit the rollers. Extend the width of the base, top and both end boards so they protrude out to accommodate the total thickness of all 3 panels. You can route 3 channels on the base board protrusion and glue the aluminum rods into the channels. That will be your DIY 3 track.

The top will be a series of tongue and grooves acting as a guide for the panels. Since all the load is supported by the bottom rollers and track, the guides only need to be relatively smooth to minimise friction and wear. Many ways to accomplish this, smoothening the bare wood + candle wax, epoxy paint, embed nylon guides, 8-10mm bearings as guide rollers or cutting grooves in both the top guide board and panels then inserting a UHMWPE (plastic cutting board material) tongue at both ends of each panel. Secure it to the panel with screws for future dismantling.

Advantages of a 3 track rail solution:

1. Components cost way less then a top suspension system. (does 3 track slim profile mechanisms even exist?)

2. Cheap, common, easy to source parts and materials. (DIY heaven.)

3. In a 2 panel to close design, make the middle panel your mirror and you can slide it out without opening your wardrobe. (How cool is that?)

Last and most important is not the potential cost savings, but the satisfaction and pride from doing it yourself.

wow, didn't know so much knowledge to learn on plywood alone.

OT abit: I wanna do a low height wall. Centre empty, dimension (3ft x 3ft x 4inch). What kind of plywood should I tell the supplier to cut for me, what thickness ply, so that no warp and no worms problem over time? Intend to plaster the surface remove the wood grains before painting.

It's not long & tall item, u can use whatever u like so long it is strong enough; - 3mm thk plywood on timber frame but most convenient is just thicker plywood like 12mm. Cut out 2 pcs 3' x 3' and use the remaining to strengthen it.

I think I should construct one too but I need to get a jig saw first. Are u mounting one end to the wall to 'hold' the force?

About plywood, my clients and the next door neighbour in plastercraft trade told me about the recycled and worms attacked plywood which I had not notice even I had been working in the carpentry and metalcraft industry for many yrs.