Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mwerkz

How To Verify Dat Sofa U Receive Is Full Leather?

is there a way we can use to verify if de sofa we receive is full leather? say if we paid for a full leather sofa?

heard from a friend recently dat his friend who bought from c***** recently received a supposed to be full leather sofa twice, a non full leather sofa.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
if im not wrong, u can try to use light fire to burn on the leather, if nothing happen then its a real leather lor...

uhuh. and what happens if it's not? *stares at hole in couch*

That is why buying from a reliable merchandiser is important. Do not have to worry about such possibility. In any case, why leather? I am against animal cruelty leh. There are PU leather that looks and feels as good as real and at half the price. Just some thoughts only...one is entitled for every right :dancingqueen:

if im not wrong, u can try to use light fire to burn on the leather, if nothing happen then its a real leather lor...

this is de method my hubby ask me to use. but if it's not real leather, n i spoil it, de shop refuse to change how? :bangwall:

That is why buying from a reliable merchandiser is important. Do not have to worry about such possibility. In any case, why leather? I am against animal cruelty leh. There are PU leather that looks and feels as good as real and at half the price. Just some thoughts only...one is entitled for every right :dancingqueen:

is courts considered a reliable merchant? cos a friend i know bought from courts, n both time it wasn't real leather?

is not that i want real leather, but it's becos de design i wanted, dey say only come in full leather. :(

full WAT leather? full fake...or full real...or full man-made....full PU...Full synthetic?

think must ask courts...wat leather they meants..

full WAT leather? full fake...or full real...or full man-made....full PU...Full synthetic?

i din buy from courts. but i bought from a shop which says tat particular model i wan, only comes in full leather. so juz need a method to verify dat i m not being cheated from wat i paid

i din buy from courts. but i bought from a shop which says tat particular model i wan, only comes in full leather. so juz need a method to verify dat i m not being cheated from wat i paid

How did your friend tell then? Perhaps she has a way to 'test' and discovered it's not real leather. Did you find out from her? Otherways are...

1. Check for a seam or where the stitching goes together and there is a raw edge. Man-made materials will usually have fibres or threads visible...real leather lacks these.

2. The thickness of the material can also be an indication, synthetics are usually thinner than leather.

3. The fingernail test... dig into the material with your nail tip. If it's leather it'll leave an imprint that fades very very slowly (as it would if you did it on your own skin). if it's fake leather, it won't leave an imprint at all.

There are 3 types of "leather":

1. PVC

2. Breathable leather -man-made

3. REAL leather - cowhide, elephant hide, baffalo hide etc.

The simplest way to differentiate is (without the need to stare at a burnt hole!) - when you sit (with bare skin) or press hard on the leather surface using your palm, REAL leather will dissipate heat... you won't feel the heat. Breathable leather is also able to dissipate some heat, but not as well. PVC is the worst. You will feel sweaty & warm very soon.

REAL leather tends to crease near the stitching/joints. Man-made material tends to have smoother/nicer finishing.

There are 3 types of "leather":

1. PVC

2. Breathable leather -man-made

3. REAL leather - cowhide, elephant hide, baffalo hide etc.

The simplest way to differentiate is (without the need to stare at a burnt hole!) - when you sit (with bare skin) or press hard on the leather surface using your palm, REAL leather will dissipate heat... you won't feel the heat. Breathable leather is also able to dissipate some heat, but not as well. PVC is the worst. You will feel sweaty & warm very soon.

REAL leather tends to crease near the stitching/joints. Man-made material tends to have smoother/nicer finishing.

I have the same problem.

I bought a "FULL" leather sofa and the one delivered dun seems to be real leather.

Sales lady say its not PVC, its "Ultra Violate" leather.

Can anyone advise me on what is Ultra Violate leather? what is it made up of?

Actually, full leather means all surfaces are leather.

Half leather means only those that you can touch physically is made of leather.

Does not imply real leather, synthetic leather or what.

Dun get mistaken!!

I have the same problem.

I bought a "FULL" leather sofa and the one delivered dun seems to be real leather.

Sales lady say its not PVC, its "Ultra Violate" leather.

Can anyone advise me on what is Ultra Violate leather? what is it made up of?

Dun get mistaken!!

Of cos, what everyone at the shop understood as Real leather (animal leather).

After I checked, there is no such things as UV leather.

Dun get mistaken!!

exactly... thats the term they use for full leather or half leather.. not meant as real leather.

Full, Half Leather

BUT, be it full or half leather, the leather part of term used should representing real leather.. means full leather should use all with real leather, where half leather should use sitting surfaces real leather, with PU or PVC on backs and sides.

Shops should say what exactly it is. But still, some dishonest, or some sales staffs simply do not know.

Leather Type

Another consideration is the variable quality of leather, top grain, sanded, cowhide etc, and there is also inferior leather called bonded leather. (bonded leather is mixed pieces of leather and fibres + synthetic, and pressed to create leather.)

Leather or PU/PVC

UV leather is what some shops called for PU(polyurethane) leather, which I don't know why. You can differentiate PU/PVC from real leather as ilmare612 said, look at the edges of the leather, and you would see texture, threads, fabric at the underlying of surface. you just try to mess the edges with fingernails and you'll see the difference, i dunno how to explain.

Quick Tip, Learn Yourself

overall, after looking around for a while, you will be able to identify what is PU, what is PVC and what is Leather.. you will just do not know what quality of leather only, that i also do not know. I suggest go to Courts (easily anyone can go) and feel the differences between cheap ones and exp ones. also feel the half leather sofa's front and back of the backrests.

hope my comments help, based on my sofa search and research about leather. basically those from Nova, Novena, or similar types uses PU/PVC/Bonded leathers.. and lorenzo, cilini, etc uses good quality leather (be it full or half).

Animal Cruilty

Cattlehide Leather are made out of byproduct from meat production, so the animal cruilty is different concern by different people. The leather is still a waste if you are still eating meat. But special leathers for wallets, luxury purses, belts, and products are produced with intention for leather, which is discourageable in animal crulity.

Edited by GSXR~RACER

exactly... thats the term they use for full leather or half leather.. not meant as real leather.

Full, Half Leather

BUT, be it full or half leather, the leather part of term used should representing real leather.. means full leather should use all with real leather, where half leather should use sitting surfaces real leather, with PU or PVC on backs and sides.

Shops should say what exactly it is. But still, some dishonest, or some sales staffs simply do not know.

Leather Type

Another consideration is the variable quality of leather, top grain, sanded, cowhide etc, and there is also inferior leather called bonded leather. (bonded leather is mixed pieces of leather and fibres + synthetic, and pressed to create leather.)

Leather or PU/PVC

UV leather is what some shops called for PU(polyurethane) leather, which I don't know why. You can differentiate PU/PVC from real leather as ilmare612 said, look at the edges of the leather, and you would see texture, threads, fabric at the underlying of surface. you just try to mess the edges with fingernails and you'll see the difference, i dunno how to explain.

Quick Tip, Learn Yourself

overall, after looking around for a while, you will be able to identify what is PU, what is PVC and what is Leather.. you will just do not know what quality of leather only, that i also do not know. I suggest go to Courts (easily anyone can go) and feel the differences between cheap ones and exp ones. also feel the half leather sofa's front and back of the backrests.

hi so when we see those sofa that claims to be full or leather it's actually man made leather also (eg. e sofa cost $2k or $3k & is billed leather)?

then for the "ultraviolet" (UV) or PU leather is actually pvc ? cause i went to one of e blacklisted shops in IFC & asked bout is e sofa leather.

e lady claim it was & I asked if it's leather why would it crack after sometime, she replied cause it was animal leather. any truth? cause i think

e man made leather will also crack?