Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
boonkhim

How Do You Select Your Id?

Hi all,

We just started our process of finding an ID. My partner and I went through so many magazines and photos, and could only two or three IDs that we liked the style of. Simple, understated, but stylish.

So far we visited one for a quotation and the session went quite well. The quotation for a 4rm HDB flat is on the high side ($42k). But I'm thinking that even if I get 2 more quotes, its going to be very difficult to select one ID from the list of quotations. Wow, I can't imagine how some of you can choose from 10 quotes!

What criteria should I use? Obviously we can't just use price, as workmanship, trustworthiness, and quality of the aesthetic design are more important. At the end of day, my gut feel is to go with an ID where we like the portfolio, and feel that we can trust.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi all,

We just started our process of finding an ID. My partner and I went through so many magazines and photos, and could only two or three IDs that we liked the style of. Simple, understated, but stylish.

So far we visited one for a quotation and the session went quite well. The quotation for a 4rm HDB flat is on the high side ($42k). But I'm thinking that even if I get 2 more quotes, its going to be very difficult to select one ID from the list of quotations. Wow, I can't imagine how some of you can choose from 10 quotes!

What criteria should I use? Obviously we can't just use price, as workmanship, trustworthiness, and quality of the aesthetic design are more important. At the end of day, my gut feel is to go with an ID where we like the portfolio, and feel that we can trust.

I spoke with 6 ID's and gave them a brief of our requirements. They came by to take photos and the lot and I spoke with them again on what we would like. They gave a few suggestions. 5 of the 6 returned with quotes that matched exactly what we required from the specs points of view. All quoted fairly similar. Nothing spectacular or original with the design. The 6th ID actually sat down and thought about our requirements and proposed something unique. Sure the price is a bit more but what the heck, job awarded due to ability to think and not be an order taker. If I wanted an order taker, I get a contractor - much cheaper.

It's not easy to make a decision on the ID. For my case i went to about 8 ID Already. Due to my budget constraint, 4 out of 8 tell me off without thinking

saying: "It's impossible to do a reno for a 4rm flat below 30K"

So i only left with 4 choice, out of the 4 ID, 2 out of 4 tell me that it's quite tough and then till now also didn't give me quotation.

whereas the other 2 ID told me that it could be done still waiting for their quotation. So my choice left with 2 only.

Choosing is all about how comfortable when you talking to the ID.

Feel whether he is speaking the truth. Any recommendation from SBF or

friends. Compare quotation price check for hidden cost. Is he hiding something from you?

It's not easy to make a decision on the ID. For my case i went to about 8 ID Already. Due to my budget constraint, 4 out of 8 tell me off without thinking

saying: "It's impossible to do a reno for a 4rm flat below 30K"

So i only left with 4 choice, out of the 4 ID, 2 out of 4 tell me that it's quite tough and then till now also didn't give me quotation.

whereas the other 2 ID told me that it could be done still waiting for their quotation. So my choice left with 2 only.

Choosing is all about how comfortable when you talking to the ID.

Feel whether he is speaking the truth. Any recommendation from SBF or

friends. Compare quotation price check for hidden cost. Is he hiding something from you?

There's really nothings such as "imposible to reno a 4rm with 30k" kinda thing.

In renovation, there's many methods to get certain things/effect done. Of course you also have to know the condition of your house. Hence taking the average out of a few quotes like say 5 will give you a better mean.

When we say ID, do we expect nice color drawins before one committ to use them or design their place? I never saw fanciful drawings hehe

Personally i did my own homework, know what i want with designs to the detail then i look for ID/contractor. To me, other then drawings as a main difference sincerity and openess. U'll be suprised how some ppl are not upfront about details. For example you knwo solid surface has a few finishing? Some simply put it flat and attach to the wall while the more "troublesome and cost alittle more" would be the "backsplash" design so that if you spill soup or something accidentally on your solid surface, it wun splash on the wall. For the same foot run, one may not have the "upgraded" kinda design.

Most of the time contractor go directly to suppliers and their cost is lower. My friend is a ID at Ciseern and a big company like them, goes through abit of middlemen.

My place is 4rm with a complete makeover done under that budget with electrical works. Thankfully it also includes doors cox the existing ones was obiang lor :jawdrop:

Maybe "attacking" the referred ones here will cut ur scope down faster?

Happy reno'ing~ :yamseng:

Edited by Zc31

The 6th ID actually sat down and thought about our requirements and proposed something unique. Sure the price is a bit more but what the heck, job awarded due to ability to think and not be an order taker. If I wanted an order taker, I get a contractor - much cheaper.

can elaborate & show us the *****? :sport-smiley-004:

I have been to 17 till date. Till now, its based on trust and clique with the IDs. EVen if give cheap cheap but cannot clique also useless. Feelings are rather important. Even if friends recommend you to an ID but in the end you kena big time from that ID, how to justify?

For my case, its based on the following in terms of priority;

1. Feelings

2. Quotation

3. Company reputation

usually is really bout gut feelings n rapport w the designer. think recommendations and company oso play a part as well. i always trust those public listed comapnies in watever investments tat i wanna do. Even in designing and renovating my hse. :notti: think they will be more trustworthy than others

30k Budget is alot. My budget for 5 room resales is only $24k. And i receiving a few quotes which meet my budget. I received quote from Defong, which is very cheap ... i doing research on this id before deciding to choose them as my id.

Agreed. But then utlimately worksmanship is the most impt factor. If all the 3 you listed are good and worksmanhip is poor, it defeat the purpose already.

I have been to 17 till date. Till now, its based on trust and clique with the IDs. EVen if give cheap cheap but cannot clique also useless. Feelings are rather important. Even if friends recommend you to an ID but in the end you kena big time from that ID, how to justify?

For my case, its based on the following in terms of priority;

1. Feelings

2. Quotation

3. Company reputation

Think everyone has different expectations.. some are willing to dig deeper into pockets for better designs firms or better worksmanship..

For me:

1. budget most impt. altho i wont go for cheapest...

2. comfort level in communication with ur ID/contractor

3. trustworthy ( no hidden costs and got some good,reliable working portfolio. )

4. worksmanship

design not so impt to us as we are not looking at designer type of houses. just simple designs or frm magazine tear-outs.

i agree...it's quite challenging to narrow them down.

esp since during the 7th month, it was not easy for them to bring us to see the units in their portfolio.

for me, it was the following factors:

1. length of time the company has been in business

2. comfort factor with whoever is handling my unit

3. budget and quality - this one more challenging becos we are not in the industry and they cld just con me and i wont be any wiser. for eg, i cant tell whether a piece of wood is good quality or not.

4. workmanship - this was where going to see current units were useful

5. if they can listen to what i want, as opposed to giving me some standard package.... which is so fast food like...and i dont see why i wnat to pay so much for my unit to look like another units'

hi all,

wanna check wif u guys, the experts: when u engaged a particular id (or any id), they would proposed their designs in drawings etc, so do we get to keep those drawings? if can keep, it's FOC rite?

my cousin previous engaged 1 id, but they din allow him to keep the drawings... so my turn, i would like it to be a more pleasant experience...

and also, what's the main difference between laminated flooring and parquet flooring? which is better or more expensive??

hi all,

wanna check wif u guys, the experts: when u engaged a particular id (or any id), they would proposed their designs in drawings etc, so do we get to keep those drawings? if can keep, it's FOC rite?

my cousin previous engaged 1 id, but they din allow him to keep the drawings... so my turn, i would like it to be a more pleasant experience...

and also, what's the main difference between laminated flooring and parquet flooring? which is better or more expensive??

My id let me keep the drawings.

hi guys.

i jus fiish renovate my condo n my contractor is v nice n reliable n with good workmanship.so i'd gladly intro u guys to meet up with him n find out more.cos i was comparing quotes n in the end found it useless to compare it myself,only when i met up with him,he explained to me quite detail. if u wan, u can pm me for his contact.