Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
yokoyoko

Lbw Table Tennis Saga

Yoz..

does she know sports(at least ping-pong la)? man-management(onli hide in one of the most powerful AMK GRC)? make-use n throw(Win silver medal not enuff)? conspiracy to have all new members in order to do 'under hand things' like NKF, REN CI? or this hw LKY's local talent capability(the highest paid official in de world standard)?

any comments on her action?

http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/08/ms-lee...discriminately/

or read from below:

Ms Lee Bee Wah: A new broom sweeps indiscriminately

Monday, 25 August 2008, 8:20 am |

TOC Op-Ed

Choo Zheng Xi / Editor in Chief

Mr Ng Ser Miang, Singapore’s only representative on the International Olympic Committee, highlighted the arrogance of Member of Parliament (Nee Soon South, Ang Mo Kio GRC) Lee Bee Wah’s decision to fire Singapore table tennis team manager Antony Lee succinctly: “I’m quite puzzled as to how a decision like that can be made by the Singapore Table Tennis Association (STTA) president, who has been in office for just over a month.”

That Ms Lee, who took over as STTA president only last month, feels that she has personal ownership over the table tennis team is undoubted. Using the personal pronoun in her interview with the Straits Times, she said: “I have a new team and will have a new CEO and technical director”.

Ms Lee’s transposition of the authoritarian instincts of the People’s Action Party (PAP) into the sporting arena highlights the ugliest characteristics of the party. She has in one fell swoop turned the mood over Singapore’s first Olympic silver sour, putting personal pique over national interest, running roughshod over people far more qualified than herself to impose a unilateral decision that very obviously lacks the support of those with a deep stake in Singapore’s sporting success.

Ms Lee was right to ask for accountability in the fiasco that left Singapore’s top men’s player Gao Ning on courtside alone, without a coach, during his match with unfancied Croatian Tan Ruiwu. Gao lost the match 0-4. It is unfortunate that Ms Lee has chosen to overreact and create a larger fiasco by making a public example of Antony Lee without consulting table tennis officials.

Integrity, accountability

More damningly, this incident speaks poorly of her integrity. She did not have the courage to admit that the Gao Ning fiasco was the reason she fired Mr Lee. Asked by the Straits Times if this was the reason she fired Mr Lee, she said it was not and added that “she just wanted to ‘let the matter rest’.”

If we take Ms Lee for her word, she has to explain to the country why she fired the Singaporean manager of our only team to win an Olympic silver – and this after a 48-year drought. The only other conclusion to draw is that she is cravenly trying to damage control the fallout of her rash action.

Mr Ng’s criticisms of Ms Lee’s rash actions carry great weight. Unlike Ms Lee, Mr Ng has devoted much of his life to the development of Singaporean sport. He was a former national sailor, and is currently the patron of the Singapore Sailing Federation. As the vice-president of the Singapore National Olympic Council, he was a key player in securing Singapore’s bid to host the inaugural Youth Olympic Games in 2010.

Highhandedness

Having been the president of the STTA for only a month, Ms Lee can have minimal understanding of the team’s dynamic at best. More realistically, she is completely ignorant of the efforts put in by Mr Lee, and the rapport he has built with the team. To add insult to injury, she chose to fire Mr Lee without telling him to his face. Mr Lee had to find out about his dismissal from a ‘third party’, as he himself described it. “I’m surprised she did not tell me directly. That would be the courteous thing to do. I have to hear this from third parties. After doing so much for Singapore,” Mr Lee told the Straits Times, “I deserve a little respect.”

Ms Lee, however, said that “Antony is welcome to apply for the position when we ask for applications.” (Straits Times). It is ironic that in her “bold” public act, what has been foregrounded is her personal cowardice and highhandedness.

Perhaps Ms Lee did not want to follow the example of how her PAP colleague, Minister for Home Affairs Mr Wong Kan Seng, bungled the Mas Selamat fallout with a half baked apology.

It is sad that she did not perceive the real lesson behind the public’s low estimation of Mr Wong’s insincerity. Mr Wong chose to exonerate the head of the Internal Security Department (ISD) without subjecting him to a disciplinary inquiry. Ms Lee has fallen on the other extreme of the same fundamental problem. By not subjecting the team manager’s oversight to a disciplinary inquiry of sporting officials with a clearer understanding of the sporting arena, she has shown a similar disdain for due process.

The lesson for our political leaders is this: due process in ascertaining guilt or exoneration matters more than well-publicized fist thumping. In Ms Lee’s case, that fist thumping is all the more galling for her inexperience and arrogance.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Reminscent of a old guiness stout tv commercial.

Those who TALK much - knows little

Those who KNOW much - talks little

Those who TALK much and TALK at the wrong time = shameless imbecile

Reminscent of a old guiness stout tv commercial.

Those who TALK much - knows little

Those who KNOW much - talks little

Those who TALK much and TALK at the wrong time = shameless imbecile

Personaly , individual needed to be accountable for their behavior and speech. Honouring and maintiance the intergrity of it. especially in public as a politic figure of Singapore. We do support freedom of speech, sensible one but not at a moment of emotion.

This is particular sensitive today as the nation is celebrating the event while an individual is daming the mood.

This may explain why LBW keep mum... but noted words are spouted in media.

Not once but twice, the the penalty for the comments could be huge. Remember our TT experieces from a famous quotes of a spouse of the senior ministor- " It is a peanut as compare to the actual amount of NKF revenue he generate...." Next day, she resigns as the Chairman......

This is definitely not to the good books of citizen where the teams are relying on it.

Edited by TPY

New twist.. Head Coach Liu will be staying with the support from the women team members..

However, Manager Anthony Lee future is still unknown..

Spore No 1 men table tennis - Gao Ning accused the coaches, manager and association of discrmination against men team. All benefits - room(1 female per bunk and 3 mens per bunk), need to par with the gals and etc.. feel that the men are unfairly treated.

However, if anyone of u had watched the match he loss.. u will not pity him but will find him unprofessional and immature.. at the last game, he could not even served the balls over for consecutive of 3 times and on the 5th time that he can't serve over, he was deducted a pt.. and for the last 3 balls he just let the balls go w/o returning.. If we said liu xiang is a coward.. i believe Gao Ning is 1 also or even worse.. cos where is the fight til death mindset of a true professional sportmen went to? and he is last year sport men of the year in spore.. wat a shame!

no doubt w/o a coach, u will be handicapped.. but the way he played.. just let him and everyone down.

Some might even think that he is taking revenge on the coaches/manager that did not support the men team and they are unfair treated.. or maybe it is him n LBW plot to get ride of the coaches and manager? Cos til now no one noes why and what illness the in-charge coach suffer from whom did not attend on the Gao Ning Match that day... :unsure:

Edited by yokoyoko

indeed a sore loser, a lousy sportsman, nobody will know - maybe he is some highup's toyboy :lol: .

anyway - he doesnt have the looks of a champion.

indeed a sore loser, a lousy sportsman, nobody will know - maybe he is some highup's toyboy :lol: .

anyway - he doesnt have the looks of a champion.

The culture for an eilte is the same everywhere. Be it in organization, nation, enterprise work force.

Good performance will get better benefits while the worst have to prove the top management from the bottom. A true fact but cruel in society.

However as the top of the leadership, comments of such should be re-frained and resolved internaly not via public media.

Further more for a FT to prove his worth inSingapoer is a hard battle, Gao Ning should have known it. By doing so in the Oylmpic, not only throwing away his personal hats but the FT and the nation too.. A shame and regrets...

But let us make clear individual do not make overall. Gao Ning could be one of the FT today but not tommorow after the incidence. Should he?

As for the cry baby, he won't earn respect from me. No coach? Nevermind, get yourself a good medal, I am sure STTA will give you 2 coaches after Olympics :notti:

Channelnewsasia.com

- any1 watch e TV news?

- frm e way she speaks, i find dat she got alot 2 learn.

- she said dat every1 was emotional ...

- but i think she's e emotional 1 who had caused many a ppl emotionally unhappy, not e other way rnd.

- no doubt e higher authorizations r givin e instuctions on how 2 end dis saga.

- e current closure is kinda best i gues.

- cant possibly ask her 2 leave i gues.

- gd or bad leader in e near future?

- only time wil tell.

:unsure:

Aniway, :yamseng: 2 our STTA.