Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
two piece

Bad Contractor Experience... Beware

Ya actually this contractor has done a major renovation for my HB's cousin, but didnt hear any bad comments abt them leh... perhaps our buisiness for them is small, so they can anyhow do loh :(

My glass contractor has done a new piece of glass for me liao, it was 10mm thick and is now obviously being attached more strongly on the wall, so much less shaky.

Ya tmr night we're going down to the Yishun that lousy contractor there, going to foot the rest of the bill. Yes, not going to pay them the $100 bucks. Hng! :P

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi All,

Recently did some minor reno at my new house. My contractor was Tay Hxxg Long Construction.

We had asked them to build a half fake wall, and add a piece of 4' X 4' glass on it. When we discussed with her that time, we told her we wanted 10mm thick glass, and wanted it to be built INSIDE the fake wall for stability. But she said no need to be so thick lah, she will handle and settle for me, and just quoted me for $320 for the glass including installation. Cos she seems professional so we trusted her expertise and settle for us.

However, aft the installation and when we went up to check, we realised the piece of glass was merely 5mm thick! And it was supported by a U-channel on the wall, plus a U-channel on the fake wall. And to our surprise, the U channel was just attached to the fake wall with a double-sided tape!! My goodness, the big piece of glass (together with the U channel) was shaking with just a very light push. We called the contractor immediately and she said again, dun worry, it's a tempered glass, wont break so easily. But cos it's really unstable, as it's just using double sided tape to be fixed on the fake wall, we insisted her to come up and do something.

Finally, she sent her guys down and put silicon between the U channel and fake wall. But it was still shaking and dun seem to improve. So we told her to do something to it. But she actually told us, she cant do anything liao lah, ask us to find another contractor. Wah, my HB and i was angry and immediately got another quote from a glass contractor. The glass contractor quoted us only $200 for 10mm glass + installation. So we told the Tay Hxxg Long we want them to remove the glass. And now she's asking us to pay her $100 (originally $320) for all the thing.

Sorry for the long-winded story, but would like to check, is it reasonable to pay them $100 for the glass thingy? We were really angry with her leh... :curse: still want to charge us for her own fault

Definately it is not reasonable to ask you to pay another 100 to remove them. When u hired the next contractor you could explain the situation to them and they could possibily help you to remove them for free and do the installation after that. If you are really concerned about the renovation, always consult what services they provide before engaging them.

very common to encounter such poor workmanship in the course of renovating our home. I did a total 4 renovations. 1st one OK, 2nd one kena con!, poor workmanship and decide to move out, 3rd one, a minor reno less than 3K, also poorly done and now almost complete ... a 6K reno and only on kitchen, with contractor at Queensway Shopping Centre - LWT!

The men all super lousy, he backed his men saying they are tired and did their best. All BS! Simply put it I wasted my hard earned money on renovations. Wife now is so sad, i dare not go back home and look at the kitchen cabinet - so horribly built! Contactor never come down to look at finished product, reasons after reasons. I am going to get back at him! Can I go to CASE to complain?

So sorry to hear that> whos ur contracter from queensawy shooping centre?

I'm thinking of going to HOMEWAY DESIGN pte ltd at the queensway s.c

aiyah... i didnt leh... cos nvr expect it'll turn out to be like this... somemore want to ask u hor, normally chemical wash should be done AFTER everything is done right? I just feel so wierd that she arranged the chemical wash before everything was done. But at first we just let it be cos since we're just doing minor reno only...

Hee Ideasmiths, who's ur ID? :P

The glass thing asked them to remove already loh, now just waiting for my glass contractor to go up and do the new glass.... haiz... so troublesome... she did our chemical wash too, and she clean liao = no clean, all the stains still there after THREE times wash... in the end, we bought our own bleach and mop and clean the whole floor ourselves... fed up...

Ya, think i should stand firm, shouldnt pay for anything that does not meet our specs.

Sorry for the long-winded story, but would like to check, is it reasonable to pay them $100 for the glass thingy? We were really angry with her leh... :curse: still want to charge us for her own fault

sounds like my ID ha ha,

Nope, don't pay anything. The verbal contract and specification you gave they did not comply with the work. So no need to pay. Ask her to remove the item ASAP or else you will charge her for any delays in usuage AND also time/manpower cost to remove her obstructions.

If she not happy, she can go small claims to claim you, it will cost her $50 to do so....and you can call case to claim back from her.

Stand firm.... :sport-smiley-003:

very common to encounter such poor workmanship in the course of renovating our home. I did a total 4 renovations. 1st one OK, 2nd one kena con!, poor workmanship and decide to move out, 3rd one, a minor reno less than 3K, also poorly done and now almost complete ... a 6K reno and only on kitchen, with contractor at Queensway Shopping Centre - LWT!

The men all super lousy, he backed his men saying they are tired and did their best. All BS! Simply put it I wasted my hard earned money on renovations. Wife now is so sad, i dare not go back home and look at the kitchen cabinet - so horribly built! Contactor never come down to look at finished product, reasons after reasons. I am going to get back at him! Can I go to CASE to complain?

Hi All,

Recently did some minor reno at my new house. My contractor was Tay Hxxg Long Construction.

We had asked them to build a half fake wall, and add a piece of 4' X 4' glass on it. When we discussed with her that time, we told her we wanted 10mm thick glass, and wanted it to be built INSIDE the fake wall for stability. But she said no need to be so thick lah, she will handle and settle for me, and just quoted me for $320 for the glass including installation. Cos she seems professional so we trusted her expertise and settle for us.

However, aft the installation and when we went up to check, we realised the piece of glass was merely 5mm thick! And it was supported by a U-channel on the wall, plus a U-channel on the fake wall. And to our surprise, the U channel was just attached to the fake wall with a double-sided tape!! My goodness, the big piece of glass (together with the U channel) was shaking with just a very light push. We called the contractor immediately and she said again, dun worry, it's a tempered glass, wont break so easily. But cos it's really unstable, as it's just using double sided tape to be fixed on the fake wall, we insisted her to come up and do something.

Finally, she sent her guys down and put silicon between the U channel and fake wall. But it was still shaking and dun seem to improve. So we told her to do something to it. But she actually told us, she cant do anything liao lah, ask us to find another contractor. Wah, my HB and i was angry and immediately got another quote from a glass contractor. The glass contractor quoted us only $200 for 10mm glass + installation. So we told the Tay Hxxg Long we want them to remove the glass. And now she's asking us to pay her $100 (originally $320) for all the thing.