Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
pinkpetter

The Home We've Been Looking Forward To

Pheee just dropping a small note. Finally feeling a bit more relieved and happier today ... Somehow feeling like the search is coming to an end.

Have to get back to studying for exam tonight so will update more later. :)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

aves... heh in the end I didn't called Dominic cos we managed to locate two contractors who were quite competitive in pricing. I guess cos we're not looking for designs and stuff and trying to keep the budget low.. so I also feel a bit pai seh to call Dominic but thank you very much :)

I tell you something le. One or two of the IDs I talked to read this reno-blog of mine... and actually sms me things when I post. So I dare not put up who I talk to also. Will say after confirm my contractor ok? :)

So happy to see that your house is coming along fine. Next time can visit each other. heh

haha its ok man. im just trying to help my fren do business. im not denying that. but at the same time i think his work etiquettes are good so i recommend around lor. if ppl take him, i also dun gain anything ma. lol. at most maybe he buy me some beer.

understand your concern wrt ID pm-ing and contacting forummers. I have that experience before too. but personally, I would avoid those cos if they are so free to come renotalk to surf and read ppl renoblog and pm them, i think they must be quite new or bad reputation so no one engage them? LOL. just my personal thought tho. no offence to the IDs here :P

haha its ok man. im just trying to help my fren do business. im not denying that. but at the same time i think his work etiquettes are good so i recommend around lor. if ppl take him, i also dun gain anything ma. lol. at most maybe he buy me some beer.

understand your concern wrt ID pm-ing and contacting forummers. I have that experience before too. but personally, I would avoid those cos if they are so free to come renotalk to surf and read ppl renoblog and pm them, i think they must be quite new or bad reputation so no one engage them? LOL. just my personal thought tho. no offence to the IDs here :P

:notti: agreed. AND it's a little unprofessional. I'm not afraid of people reading wor but I don't like unprofessional feedback from people who are suppose to be professional. :P

ikealamp.jpg

Got this lamp (very similiar one) for my kitchen. Well actually got it for something else last year but didn't use it so will probably use it for my new kitchen since it fits with the overall clean simple design we want. mm but then I went to ikea and found that they have something new that's even nicer...

nicerikealamp.jpg

Sob. but this one twice the price of the other one.. this one $99.

mm In a bid to try and save more money, Not only will we paint our own place.. I intend to sand and paint the door frames and main door too.

I bookmarking a couple of threads here so when I need to, I can find the info easily.

Bookmark:

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15555

But meanwhile I haven't seen anyone trying to paint the pipes themselves... anyone got any tips?

mm In a bid to try and save more money, Not only will we paint our own place.. I intend to sand and paint the door frames and main door too.

I bookmarking a couple of threads here so when I need to, I can find the info easily.

Bookmark:

But meanwhile I haven't seen anyone trying to paint the pipes themselves... anyone got any tips?

Wah, that's quite some DIYing. You sure is you all do or just your hubby? :P

Bookmark:

For using of oil paint:

Use a roller would be better to get an even coat of oil paint

not recommended to use brush to paint. Because the surface will look wrinked when it drys up.

coz oil paint will takes a longer time(~16 hrs) to dry.

After running through the pipes with roller, you can use the brush to run through the surface once (top to bottom motion) to get a smooth surface..

Try not paint the hinges or lockset of the doors. It would affect the door closing motion and plus next time it would be easier to remove the doors if you need to replace them..

another thing, if the original door is those wood grain type, most probably you need to use base coat(ard $7 bucks) first before you paint the colour you wanted.

Wah, that's quite some DIYing. You sure is you all do or just your hubby? :P

heheh if I have a hubby definitely him. :) This house is for my parents, me, my sis and my bro. :) So probably bug my bro to do it. but everyone help la. :) A little DIYing in the house... makes it feel like home ba :)

For using of oil paint:

Use a roller would be better to get an even coat of oil paint

not recommended to use brush to paint. Because the surface will look wrinked when it drys up.

coz oil paint will takes a longer time(~16 hrs) to dry.

After running through the pipes with roller, you can use the brush to run through the surface once (top to bottom motion) to get a smooth surface..

Try not paint the hinges or lockset of the doors. It would affect the door closing motion and plus next time it would be easier to remove the doors if you need to replace them..

another thing, if the original door is those wood grain type, most probably you need to use base coat(ard $7 bucks) first before you paint the colour you wanted.

OK! Will take note! Thank you!!!!!!!

u want to diy painting for whole house?

last time i also plan to diy, but in the end after look the mess in a house i gv up :D

but if only door frame and main door still ok lor :sport-smiley-004:

but my opinion is let them quote u include all lor pipe and door its very worth since ur house is do reno... ;)

mine include all arround $1500 :)

mmm ya got one contractor quote me $1300 for whole house up to 5 colour + door + pipes.... What you think? let them do wor?

last time I ever painted my own place before... 3 times this size and we managed. Cos it was all white anyway so not tough. But I've never sandpapered/painted doors. Not sure what kind of job I will do. *stressed*

Edited by pinkpetter

SIGHHHH

ruinedfinalplans.jpg

These are the initial plans. The FS master say the fridge mustn't put there... so we're now building a low cabinet there. Then my fridge put where??!!!

Then the second green circle... There is a wall there right now. we wanted to hack it away. but now cannot hack wor. haiz. so with the wall back there and the low cabinet...

The plan now looks like this...

finalfinalplans.jpg

But we wanted to get rid of the wall so that can put shoe cabinet.. now how... put where... mom is quite particular about the place of the cabinet.

And now fridge put where? :P