Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Melissa Ng

Can False Ceiling Reduce Sounds From Above Neighbour

Hi anyone,

Can a normal false ceiling reduce the loudness of sounds from upstairs neighbours (especially foot sounds from FAT kids who love to bounce around ) :o

Your kind advice is deeply appreciated

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

lol funny question.

i not sure whether it can reduce noise pollution

but a gypsum ceiling board is normally 6 inches thick and its made of cement plaster.

maybe u can ask ur renovator to add rockwool inside as rock wool reduce noise

dunno its works anot. but can try.

hope its help

lol funny question.

i not sure whether it can reduce noise pollution

but a gypsum ceiling board is normally 6 inches thick and its made of cement plaster.

maybe u can ask ur renovator to add rockwool inside as rock wool reduce noise

dunno its works anot. but can try.

hope its help

thanks Art Ching...hahaha :D ya at first it was funny, but the sounds are starting to get on our nerves... although inform the neighbours very nicely they're very defensive & uncooperative..so i guess if we can't change the environment, we have to change ourselves...dunno if it's worth investing in soundproof ceiling or not..actually to install false ceiling now also troublesome & not cheap also ..sigh

false ceiling should reduce the noise, but to what extend, dunno. There's also a physics theory called resonance... means that if that kid vibrates at a particular frequency that is same as the false ceiling, then the sound will be amplified :notti: just kidding....

ya, false ceiling is indeed expensive, usually in the $xxx 3 figure region. If you putting wool, then avoid the lighting points, heat = fire!

or make frens with that kid, feed him with sweets, too fat = cannot jump anymore. :sport-smiley-018:

eh..my understanding is that false ceiling will not reduce the noise. Rather it increase the noise cos inside its empty. Try knocking the false ceiling, u can hear echo inside. So if above neighbour jump, the sound travel into the false ceiling will make it more noisy?

i also duno if i am right or wrong ;)

or make frens with that kid, feed him with sweets, too fat = cannot jump anymore. :sport-smiley-018:

hahaha..instead of jumping she'll roll ard the house :D ..the bouncing was so bad that even my lights were vibrating at each sound, so my hubby screw the lights even more tighter in fear that they may fall. Yesterday night someone upstairs was playing marbles loudly, so i took a stick and knock the ceiling a few times, then the sound stop. Guess i found my new 'weapon' now :notti:

eh..my understanding is that false ceiling will not reduce the noise. Rather it increase the noise cos inside its empty. Try knocking the false ceiling, u can hear echo inside. So if above neighbour jump, the sound travel into the false ceiling will make it more noisy?

i also duno if i am right or wrong ;)

Hmm, in that case it'll be a big waste of money to install false ceiling if it doesn't work. I get what u mean, like laminated floor if no put rubber in btw the floor and the wood, there'll hollow space, so when drop things on floor the sound will be louder..i guess is same principle for false ceiling

Anyway Thanks for your feedback guys :) If i get a house next time, i'm definitely choosing the highest floor

you know what?

we get that 'marble' sound a lot too, at my parents' place. and i often wondered, kaoz, why are they always dropping marbles??

when i mentioned it to friends, they also say 'YAH! my house also..."

then my religious teacher told me, that this 'marble' sound is actually made by the Jinn, or supernatural beings created by fire, according to Islam.

my colleague also told me of how their downstairs neighbour at their old apartment was always coming upstairs to complain about them dragging furniture across the house, at odd hours of the day and loud chopping noises. even called the police. but they have no kids at home, and were not doing any moving of anything. they even invited their neighbour to sit at their house and observe them. nothing was going on, her brother was sleeping, she was doing some marking and her mum was just an ordinary housewife. spooky. but apparently the neighbour still comes up to complain to her tenants.

*cue X-files theme*

Edited by gumbokins

you know what?

we get that 'marble' sound a lot too, at my parents' place. and i often wondered, kaoz, why are they always dropping marbles??

then my religious teacher told me, that this 'marble' sound is actually made by the Jinn, or supernatural beings created by fire, according to Islam.

my colleague also told me of how their downstairs neighbour at their old apartment was always coming upstairs to complain about them dragging furniture across the house, at odd hours of the day and loud chopping noises. even called the police. but they have no kids at home, and were not doing any moving of anything. they even invited their neighbour to sit at their house and observe them. nothing was going on, her brother was sleeping, she was doing some marking and her mum was just an ordinary housewife. spooky. but apparently the neighbour still comes up to complain to her tenants.

*cue X-files theme*

really spooky leh :jawdrop: ...but i observe my upstairs neighbours house is quite dark always (maybe save electricity?) with a lots of clutters inside. Like got uncomfortable feeling when look into it. Reading this make me feel even more scarier..

95% of my living room is covered with false ceiling and i also want to be sure whether this is the main cause of the loud "boom boom" sound from my neighbour upstair.

I want to tell them about this but upon reading this ,just want to make sure.

95% of my living room is covered with false ceiling and i also want to be sure whether this is the main cause of the loud "boom boom" sound from my neighbour upstair.

I want to tell them about this but upon reading this ,just want to make sure.

Hi Dino,

Does your upstairs neighbour consist of 'heavy' or hyperactive people? As I asked around, it seems that the hollowness in the false ceiling can amplify the sound...

For my situation we gotten used to it after some time, cos we can't control their movement mah. However there was a time the kid was playing Ping Pong ball & it was really irritating, so my husband just went upstairs to tell them nicely. They explained that they also very hard to control their 4 active grandchildren, so hope we also understand...Nevertheless the sound reduced.. It's a give & take thing lor

you know what?

*cue X-files theme*

Make no mistake, it is marble dropping, when I hear it (*d_a_m_n*) I immediately went upstairs to check. How expensive it is to install soundproof material (Quietrock/Noisestop/Bitumen/anyotherkindofmaterials) for ceiling of living rm and perhaps 1/2 bedrooms? I am thinking if it's a serious enough problem, so much so that many people complained, and are willing to pay money to solve it, why hasn't contractors import these from overseas?

Appreciate if anyone has any real solutions. Thanks.

kanglc_at_gmail_dot_com (change the obvious)

Make no mistake, it is marble dropping, when I hear it (*d_a_m_n*) I immediately went upstairs to check. How expensive it is to install soundproof material (Quietrock/Noisestop/Bitumen/anyotherkindofmaterials) for ceiling of living rm and perhaps 1/2 bedrooms? I am thinking if it's a serious enough problem, so much so that many people complained, and are willing to pay money to solve it, why hasn't contractors import these from overseas?

Appreciate if anyone has any real solutions. Thanks.

kanglc_at_gmail_dot_com (change the obvious)

kids nowadays still play marbles? :unsure:

the uncle engineer in my office, told me that the "marble" sound is due to expansion/contraction of building materials within the structure, as Singapore is very hot in day time but cool down pretty fast in night time.

Edited by marshmallow

Wow!!! I've been hearing this marble/mahjong dropping sound randomly for the past 6 years.

nv came to my mind that actually nothing was drop on the upper floor.

Edited by Eurypylus

Wow!!! I've been hearing this marble/mahjong dropping sound randomly for the past 6 years.

nv came to my mind that actually nothing was drop on the upper floor.

My wife and I live in an EM.

Sleeping on the second floor, we can hear the sound of chairs beings dragged across the floor coming from the ceiling. Especially at night. We don't hear that when we are at the first floor.

My views:

It has long been discussed that the sounds are probably from the expansion and contraction of pipings/structures. I think this could indeed be the case. There aren't any pipings running between first and second floors of an EM. Maybe I am wrong. Do any other renotalkers living in EMs share similar experiences?