Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sketch_bam

Would A Freelance Designer Be A Good Choice?

Hi all,

would it be a good idea to look for a freelance interior designer, pay him/her a consultant fee, then find a contractor to fabricate the neccessary items? would it be cheaper this way?

sketch_bam

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

i have a differing opinion here, it depends on what you want. Generally, if the FL ID has never worked before and have no comprehension about scale, sizing and also creativity... better think twice. If he/she is someone that has experience but is doing this part time due to other commits and they can meet your design needs, why not?

But also bear in mind that you have to do all the coordination with your contractors, ID ends when you accept their design. Try to negotiate for attention time, which your contractor may need to call him/her to check on some of the designs.

I have never used a FL ID but will not rule them out. Hope this helps. :dancingqueen:

Hi all,

would it be a good idea to look for a freelance interior designer, pay him/her a consultant fee, then find a contractor to fabricate the neccessary items? would it be cheaper this way?

sketch_bam

Edited by wuga98

If you are doing this to make your house a DREAM HOME, then its the way to go. But if you are hoping that this method will save you money, DREAM ON.

There are not much savings when you go to one contractor to do what the ID wanted, because usually contractor gives 'free' ID advice anyway. So that ID fees would be additional to you.

Also, if you go to multiple contractors, the liaison would be a nightmare; when something goes wrong, fingers are going to start pointing and no one will take ownership. That will surely generate more costs for you.

I think you approach a free lance designer because you like his designs?

I am a free lance designer. No the deal doesnt end when I hand over the design. You still can rectify it and I would comply but its true i wont handle the coordination. You still can use the design and hire a pte contractor to do it. I do admit the cost is slightly more, but thats the price you pay if you want a unique house.

ID firms do charge a design fee sometimes, its all in the final quote, but they wont show it as a fee.

Edited by Junkay

i agree with zirhk though, normally renovation contractors would already have "free id advice" though some dun reali comes up to standard. u might wan to look around more instead of havin to coordinate the renovation in the end if u get a FL and approach diff contractors.

if u're interested, can pm u a few that i came across =]

Another way is to get a design, then approach the ID firm to do it. You will then have to pay a coordinator fee I guess. I did up my own design, approach the ID firm and we went thro the different materials and methods to be able to do it. The ID was so taken by the design, she wanted to be a part of the project.