Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
oogachaga

Impress21 Design And Build - My Home Makeover

Can I know where u got the Blum accessories? Or were they provided for by the contractor?

Hi Itsy,

I got mine from Shanghai Tong Lee...but you can try the one below, they are cheaper :bangwall: ...contractors will charge you a premium if you want them to provide.

My carpenter provided labour FOC to install.

From my post #82 in my blog:

UPDATE ON BLUM Lobang

Finally happened to find another authorised BLUM dealer, along Upper Bukit Timah Road.

Kiang Sing Hong Hardware Supplies

828, Upper Bukit Timah Rd Tel: 67600365

Its located just beside the condo, the LINEAR...in those 2 storey shophouses.

Was looking for some rubber plugs for my chairs, and had to compare prices for BLUM ma

bangwall.gif bangwall.gif bangwall.gif cheaper than what I bought from Shanghai Tong Lee!

The hinge set costs about less than $4, and the 500mm full extension runners was around $36 ( exc GST )..almost $10 cheaper for the runners!

Mr Ang said these are contractors' price...I didnt even had to ask!

BTW, there will be a price increase soon, he showed me the list and the runners will have a price increase of 35%!

So for those of you who are contemplating BLUM, go check this place out.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Oh me getting Blum. Must pay the store a visit tomorrow. But how do you know what length of the runner to get. How about the Tandembox type, which is a lot more expensive.

Oh me getting Blum. Must pay the store a visit tomorrow. But how do you know what length of the runner to get. How about the Tandembox type, which is a lot more expensive.

Hi baldeagle,

Its best you check with your carpenter first the dimensions before you buy anything...and whether he is able to install BLUM accessories.

BLUM runners come in increments of 50mm, eg 450mm, 500mm, 550mm etc.

For standard depth of 60cm countertop, the 500mm is appropriate...you can refer to my pics of my runners, the 550mm would be too long , and the 450mm would be too short.

As for Tandemboxes, you will need to discuss the dimensions of your cabinetswith your carpenter, so that he can advise you what sizes to get.

:yamseng:

i'm impressed by how detailed u are! bookmarkng ur t-blog for my future reference. :dancingqueen:

btw, r u able to PM me ur contacts for the PD door? it's supposed to be better than bi-fold becos its runs on top thread right?

i'm impressed by how detailed u are! bookmarkng ur t-blog for my future reference. :dancingqueen:

btw, r u able to PM me ur contacts for the PD door? it's supposed to be better than bi-fold becos its runs on top thread right?

Hi mrspiglet,

Thanks! Just sharing what I have learnt and experienced :)

PD doors have no bottom tracks, and I do think its better than the normal bi fold ones.

You can check their website http://www.pddoor.com/

Tel: 6747 8727

I dealt with Estella Lee, the sales manager.

:yamseng:

thks for the contacts!

i think if u had done up a full reno, u can publish a book titled "step-by-step guide for reno". Will be super useful for reno idiots like me lor! :notti:

Hi everybody,

Its been a long time since I checked in here...have been really really busy :(

I am happy to see many new bloggers are here to share their experiences :)...will have to find time to read them.

Anyway, my blog is overdue for updating, and my apologies to those who pmed me, sorry for the absence, you have got my replies.

I have been asked for my mirror contractors, I understand they have moved to Eunos.....

Heres the contact for Sen Glass .... Colin 91888341

Do compare quotations...so far I am happy with the work and quality.

Hi - what did you do with your old white oven? I'm looking for a white oven. Please email me at mar9aret@gmail.com

Hi mar9aret,

My white Elba classic oven has been trashed...its about 8 years old, and the enamel paintwork is peeling and rusting. A repair was not worthwhile as the heating element has corroded ( costs close to $200 to replace )...a brand new oven makes more sense.

You should consider the stainless steel oven...its easy maintenance, and goes with most decor, and you wont have the problem of rust showing through white enamel paintwork, and chipping too, besides the white paint will yellow with time...but perhaps , they have improved on the paintwork and rustproofing ??

Cheers,

Edited by oogachaga

WALLPAPER NO NO IMO

I have seen wallpapers done beautifully at showflats and some homes, but unfortunately a friend's apartment was wallpapered the NO NO way, and I pointed this out, but he wasnt really bothered by it. Anyway heres the pics I took without his knowledge :rolleyes:

I would have preferred they removed the switches ( more work as may have to rewire ), and have the switches overlap the cut edges so as achieve a clean neat look. Most showflats have them done this way, though I have seen a few done the NO NO way :(

No No for me if I were ever to do wallpaper ( my mirrors were done the proper way..switches mounted on top of the mirrors, the workers rewired my switches..no problem at all ), cut edges of the wallpaper showing, not flushed around the switch...quite ugly in my opinion.

P1030427.jpg

A closer look..you can see the "black hole" ! And the wallpaper lifting up there, not really glued properly.

P1030428.jpg

Edited by oogachaga

BAY WINDOWS

Love them or hate them...as for me, the latter.

They are not practical, and inevitably end up as expensive shelvings or ledges...they eat up into your effective floor area not forgetting that they cost $$$ psf. I rather have my floor space anytime...as I have more space to move about or to furnish.

Yes..many have entertained the romantic idea of lazing on the bay window reading a good book or gazing into the wonderful view yonder, but really for long periods, it would be more comfortable lounging next to the window in a comfy chair or bed...no?

There are many ways to treat the bay windows eg

1. Laminated wood or solid wood planking

2. Solid surface

3. Tiled with marble, granite, etc

4. Customed cushion seating

All the above means more money spent ranging from a few hundreds to thousands of dollars depending on your choice of treatments.

As I felt that they are useless space, I didnt really want to spend so much on treating these areas as they will end up being shelves. I also wanted easy maintenance, since dirt and dust will settle on these surfaces easily.

Heres the before pic of my master bedroom bay window...its paintwork was aging, and has been scraped and prepared, and it had been diffcult to wipe clean on the matt finish paint...

P1020892.jpg

I decided to DIY to save money and bought these in white colour

P1030111.jpg

After pics

Master bay window

P1030234.jpg

The other bedroom bay window

P1030237.jpg

See water just pool up on its surface....it makes for easy cleaning :)

P1030238.jpg

BAY WINDOWS cont

The yard ledge was given the treatment too, and it has been a breeze wiping it clean...and its very hard wearing that it can withstand heavy traffic if used on floors.

P1030297.jpg

I treated my other place as well, but with the clear instead of white . Do note that the clear colour is not like water clear but has a brownish tinge to it, so the end result is that it will differ slightly from your base paint colour...if you are not particular.

The master bedroom bay window...really long and wasted space :(, inevitably ended up putting lamps, books, knicks knacks there. Even with cushions there, its going to be uncomfortable sitting there on the narrow area.

P1030262.jpg

The other room

P1030275.jpg

The results above speak for themselves...it looks good, and has been a breeze to clean with just a damp cloth, and the best part is I didnt spend a bomb doing it...only about $30! :dancingqueen: for the 1 litre set of polyurethane paint costs $25, and 2 4-inch fine hair roller brush ( 2 coats ).

So if you are on a budget, try this, and if you ever dont like it and have budget for solid surface or laminated wood board treatment etc, it can still be done with no hassle.

Edited by oogachaga

• Like 1

hi where did u get ur dining table n how much?

Hi ashes 02,

See my post #113....

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?s=...st&p=352248

Cheers,

The bay windows look fantastic after the paint job!

Where did you buy the duracote paint? Do you know if it can be used on bathroom or kitchen walls?

Hi nottimonster,

I bought the paint from Hin Hoe located at Blk 3, AMK Tech 1 Tel: 64815544/6..only sell the 1 litre, which is sufficient for my needs.

You can ask any good paint shops for polyurethane paint ( may be different brand ), and some come in 5 litre as well, costs around $80 if I recall correctly.

I believe the paint is normally used for flooring as its hard wearing properties can withstand heavy traffic, will not wear or peel, and its chemical resistant as well, so I think it can be used for any surfaces depending on your purpose..but its best to check the paint shop.

Cheers,

Edited by oogachaga

Sofa close up

P1030165.jpg

Hi oogachaga,

like your sofa a lot.. looking for similar one.. mind telling me the dimensions, where and how much you brought it? thanks a lot..