Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
oogachaga

Impress21 Design And Build - My Home Makeover

Jun 2010 Update: contd

Now lets look at the rest of the Pozzi faucets.....

P1030539.jpg

This Pozzi mixer tap has lost is shiny and smooth finish...its plagued with corrosion spots, and even after polishing, cannot regain its original shine....it has that patchy dull look....other than its finish, its lever movement is smooth.

P1030540.jpg

A closer look...see the bumps, and the black spots. Luckily only about $50 + :rolleyes:

P1030534.jpg

This Pozzi cold tap is the worst!! You can see the bubbling of the chrome finish...probably will peel off eventually... costs less than $50....again not too hard on the pocket.

P1030545.jpg

Now the ONLY exception and saving grace for POZZI is this favourite mixer of mine, ... Its really corrosion free and with a quick easy polish, I am able to restore it to its origial shine :sport-smiley-018:, and works smoothly too. :thumbs up:

The kitchen sink mixer is not too bad either in comparison to the other 2 cheaper faucets.

Actually POZZI tap movements are smooth - no complaints, but the quality of their finish is so inconsistent even within the same range....It seems for POZZI the more expensive it is, the better the quality ...hmmmm

I have seen a friend who installed another popular inexpensive brand of faucets facing the same problem after less than a year.

So be aware of these inexpensive faucets and their quality.. I believe they are made in China, Taiwan and/or Korea.

Go for reputable brands if you can, german made if possible,....it may be worth the money in the long run, unless you like to change taps after every few years. If you find their prices prohibitive, then go buy during their sale or get from ebay - cheaper by a lot and free shipping too, and many top rated resellers to choose from.

Also, go for simple designs without many angles,...it makes for easy upkeep

P1030552.jpg

Now even this original, no brand shower mixer is corrosion free after all these years except for the dull look from accumulated soap scum. Look at the restored shine of the handle after polishing vs the unpolished portion....great quality!

Edited by oogachaga

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

P1030549.jpg

This SIMS brand toilet paper holder from Sim Siang Choon, is not bad at all. Though it has tarnish spots appearing, I was still able to restore its shine....can see I missed some spots .... these can be polished off without damage to the finish unlike the cheap POZZI ones in the common toilets.

I bought 2 of them..and both are of consistent quality.. :thumbs up: ...not bad for a local brand

P1030511.jpg

Talking about matt finishes.....this Mallia rocker switch smudges easily as can be seen by virtue of its "rough" surface. Cleaning off the smudges requires more effort, and may require some CIF cleaner whereas the Clipsal's glossy finish- just a simple wipe with a damp cloth will suffice

P1030512.jpg

The Clipsal switch with some stains, but easily wiped off with just a damp cloth.

So take note of matt finishes...they smudge easily like the homogeneous floor tiles.

P1030516.jpg

The treated bay window still satisfactory...and makes for easy cleaning

P1030514.jpg

The painted doors with glossy finish still looks good...easy to clean, just wipe with a damp cloth ;) I remembered Henry did advise me against matt paint as they are easily smudged.

-to be contd-

Edited by oogachaga

P1030546.jpg

The magic corner...the chrome finish still looks good, better than the kitchen tap :bangwall:

Should consider this if you have a corner....no more kneeling down, and taking out items just to get to the deep end. This is cheaper than the stainless steel ones, besides its hidden from view.

Where can I purchase the magic corner? And roughly how much?

What are the measurements of the cabinet do I have to take note of when installing these? I'm in the process of designing my kitchen cabinet so need to know the allowances to accomodate the magic corner.

Where can I purchase the magic corner? And roughly how much?

What are the measurements of the cabinet do I have to take note of when installing these? I'm in the process of designing my kitchen cabinet so need to know the allowances to accomodate the magic corner.

Hi Mankul,

I bought at Shanghai Tong Lee Hardware Pte Ltd,200, Jalan Sultan, #01-01, Textile Centre Tel: 6298 7211

It measures D530xW860xH560/860mm, costs about $210 each after discount....thats was 2 years ago.

They have a showroom with mock up on the 2nd level...its best you go see and bring your measuring tape there, there you will have a better idea what kind of space you need.... You should then discuss your cabinet spacing with your carpenter.

There are other brands of stainless steel ones but more exp, perhaps you might be able to find good deals during this GSS ??

Good luck

Now the ONLY exception and saving grace for POZZI is this favourite mixer of mine, ... Its really corrosion free and with a quick easy polish, I am able to restore it to its origial shine :sport-smiley-018:, and works smoothly too. :thumbs up:

The kitchen sink mixer is not too bad either in comparison to the other 2 cheaper faucets.

Actually POZZI tap movements are smooth - no complaints, but the quality of their finish is so inconsistent even within the same range....It seems for POZZI the more expensive it is, the better the quality ...hmmmm

I have seen a friend who installed another popular inexpensive brand of faucets facing the same problem after less than a year.

So be aware of these inexpensive faucets and their quality.. I believe they are made in China, Taiwan and/or Korea.

Go for reputable brands if you can, german made if possible,....it may be worth the money in the long run, unless you like to change taps after every few years. If you find their prices prohibitive, then go buy during their sale or get from ebay - cheaper by a lot and free shipping too, and many top rated resellers to choose from.

Also, go for simple designs without many angles,...it makes for easy upkeep

Wow, so sorry to hear about your experience with POZZI. I bought POZZI too for all my taps and mixer. I like their design most of all, that's why I got all the same brand. Plus they have water saving feature that I like too. Wonder if I will get the same outcome like you in the future? :P

Hi Mankul,

I bought at Shanghai Tong Lee Hardware Pte Ltd,200, Jalan Sultan, #01-01, Textile Centre Tel: 6298 7211

It measures D530xW860xH560/860mm, costs about $210 each after discount....thats was 2 years ago.

They have a showroom with mock up on the 2nd level...its best you go see and bring your measuring tape there, there you will have a better idea what kind of space you need.... You should then discuss your cabinet spacing with your carpenter.

There are other brands of stainless steel ones but more exp, perhaps you might be able to find good deals during this GSS ??

Good luck

I went to have a look ... also at the showroom... the rack is pretty rugged... My only concern is the chrome finish and how long it can last.... as toilet assessories which are chrome, easily get oxidised or corroded within a few years...

I didn't see the stainless steel version... You know where to get the stainless steel ones from other brands?

Wow, so sorry to hear about your experience with POZZI. I bought POZZI too for all my taps and mixer. I like their design most of all, that's why I got all the same brand. Plus they have water saving feature that I like too. Wonder if I will get the same outcome like you in the future? :P

The POZZI taps are great to use so far.....I think as with all chrome finish, you must be diligent in your maintenance on a regular basis.

I will be cleaning them regularly from now on, except the 2 badly tarnished ones which will be changed in the future when spoilt or I get sick of the corrosion lor :sport-smiley-018:

Good luck with your POZZIs...better polish the chrome regularly :rolleyes:

I went to have a look ... also at the showroom... the rack is pretty rugged... My only concern is the chrome finish and how long it can last.... as toilet assessories which are chrome, easily get oxidised or corroded within a few years...

I didn't see the stainless steel version... You know where to get the stainless steel ones from other brands?

As you have seen, the mock up has been there for many years and the finish still looks good, right?

For me, since its hidden from view, I chose to buy this cheaper version than the stainless steel ones. Shanghai Tong Lee doesnt have the stainless steel version.

For stainless steel ones,I remembered these shops that have mock ups in their shops :

the shops at Geyland Road near Lor 44, they sell bath and kitchen accessories eg Bacera

and Genova at Bendemeer Road.

As you have seen, the mock up has been there for many years and the finish still looks good, right?

For me, since its hidden from view, I chose to buy this cheaper version than the stainless steel ones. Shanghai Tong Lee doesnt have the stainless steel version.

For stainless steel ones,I remembered these shops that have mock ups in their shops :

the shops at Geyland Road near Lor 44, they sell bath and kitchen accessories eg Bacera

and Genova at Bendemeer Road.

I went to see both the ones at Bacera and Genova. I like the Bacera one.. its called the Kity All Out Magic Corner, with both front and rear rack able to be pulled out. $628 :P ..... now now, I'm trying to find the supplier of this magic corner... cos there is this hotel-like tower rack at Bacera and it cost about $98.... but I went to royal fanco, only $35 ! stainless steel ones.... so now I have the impression that Bacera mark up their prices alot... so I kinda of think that I can get it cheaper elsewhere... but I have not seen that version of the magic corner elsewhere....

the one I'm looking for as the same function as this :

Close up of the chrome finish of the magic corner rack:

P1030618.jpg

Never been cleaned since installation...the chrome finish is still looking good :D , and solid build too.

Found this link showing how my magic corner works...looks exactly like the one I am using right now :P -

This is the more expensive version -

I went to see both the ones at Bacera and Genova. I like the Bacera one.. its called the Kity All Out Magic Corner, with both front and rear rack able to be pulled out. $628 :P ..... now now, I'm trying to find the supplier of this magic corner... cos there is this hotel-like tower rack at Bacera and it cost about $98.... but I went to royal fanco, only $35 ! stainless steel ones.... so now I have the impression that Bacera mark up their prices alot... so I kinda of think that I can get it cheaper elsewhere... but I have not seen that version of the magic corner elsewhere....

the one I'm looking for as the same function as this :

hi Mankul,

Thanks for the update on the magic corner, heres my opinion:

1. Looks great but expensive! almost triple the price of my version :jawdrop:

2. Only one central support to hold 2 racks on each side - which explains the smaller rack sizes since it can only hold so much weight versus my version, which splits the support to front and back frame, and bigger racks too.

3. You will have more wasted space due to the small sized racks and at the deep end of the corner.

......But get it if you really like it :P

Oh yes, Prices vary widely from shop to shop....so always check back with Royal Fanco to compare prices ..thats where I got my faucets from...very reasonable price and great service. :thumbs up:

The stainless steel towel rack sounds good and value for money ( can post pics? )...its a better choice than a chrome plated one because of corrosion problems, and ease of maintenance.

You might want to check with Henry of RF to see if he has lobang for the magic corner that you are interested in.

more pics and tips to share

P1030609.jpg

Sliding glass panel at kitchen...useful to keep oil fumes and smell from wafting into the living area and stinking up your upholstery, and not forgetting keeping the kitchen out of bounds from pets and people while cooking.

P1030621.jpg

PD doors, silicone shrinkage. Frame is still white, but the plastic plugs are slightly yellowed already. Otherwise, door still functions well...remember to teach your clueless guests how to use the doors :P

I have been asked about Henry's workmanship esp the carpentry.....so far nothing major, no sagging shelves, loose doors, etc. Here are some shots....

P1030610.jpg

Sink cabinet....doors still in proper alignment, and laminates still in place and good condition.

P1030632.jpg

Inside....Cleaning items, plastic disposal bags and knick knacks are placed here, easy access...no need to spend money on the Blum under sink system. I dont fancy having a waste basket as its rather unsightly, unhygienic and smelly....I dispose all wastes immediately into plastic bags. No leaking problems from the sink or pipes so far.

P1030619.jpg

Saw this gap at the false ceiling...not really that noticeable but this can be easily patched up. Cabinet doors are still in proper alignment. Laminates are still white ;)

- to be contd -

Hi TS, can trouble you to PM me your ID's contact details? Thanks!

:)

Hi oogachaga, can you share how you install the wall mounted projection system in your living room. what other systems are required for the whole system to work and how much? where can I get them installed? Thanks.

Hi TS, can trouble you to PM me your ID's contact details? Thanks!

:)

Hi osanwo,

Its Henry Goh, from Impress21 Design & Build...you can also google :)

Mobile 98316066

Hi there, u have really nice reno!

can u PM me ur ID and the quotation as my reference?

thanks

Hi macy84,

Thanks!

The info is on page 4, post #119, heres the link

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?sh...st&p=352308

Hi oogachaga, can you share how you install the wall mounted projection system in your living room. what other systems are required for the whole system to work and how much? where can I get them installed? Thanks.

Hi power10,

Generally, a system would require

1. AV Receiver, can range from a few hundreds to thousands of dollars

2. Display eg, projector, HDTV. A decent 1080p projector can cost around $3K up

3. Speaker system, again whether 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 systems prices varies

4. Peripherals like BluRay player, game consoles, ipod dock to connect to your AV receiver

5. Cables eg HDMI, audio cables,

So be prepared to spend at least $5K, more if you require higher specs.....

I ran my cabling along the skirting and up to the projector...you can see it in my pics of the sofa with the trunking on the wall. You can pay extra to hack the wall and hide the cables inside if you so wish.

Anyway, you can check out KEC at Adelphi, where I got my projector from, and demo their projectors and sound systems, and get a rough quotation of how much your dream system might cost you :)

They do the installation and can also advise on the best way, heres their link:

http://www.hifibargain.com/

Cheers,

very interesting to read about updates after move in bc this is when any issues or should (not) do etc things surface. Thanks for continuing to post!