Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
happysnowball

Dirty Grout Lines On New Tiles!

hi all..

i really need advises here.. I spent over 2k to hack and lay new wall tiles in my toilet and its's been only few days and the grout lines between tiles turn yellowish and some even brown! contractor is now asking for completion payment and he claims he can't do anything to it!

contractor insist that the tiles may have some "mud" substance that came off after the tiles are laid.

what can i do? contractor refuse to do anything.

HELP!!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

the only remaining grouse would be your mentioned "stains" and this does not warrant you to with-hold the full balance payment to the contractor as the job is completed to a certain extent.

i would recommend you negotiate to come to a common agreement/settlement.

the only remaining grouse would be your mentioned "stains" and this does not warrant you to with-hold the full balance payment to the contractor as the job is completed to a certain extent.

i would recommend you negotiate to come to a common agreement/settlement.

but i doubt i can do anything after i've paid him cos now he can't even be bothered to go up to take a look? he'll probably vanish after he cashed in the cheque.

i'm holding back the $2k for the wall tiles only..

have this dirty grout thing happen to anyone else??

When mine was first laid, it was very white, then after a few months, turned a bit yellow (but still white), maybe like yellowish white. If it is a few days, then maybe inexplicable. It is a question of time that it will turn yellow, or worse, come off if u bleach too much. Some of those of my floor tiles "missing". You can follow like me, DIY, buy a packet of cement & patch back, very easy, only $1-2.

If it was just a few days & the grout lines turned brown, then it is your contractor's fault. Maybe something to do with the chemical reaction of the cement powders he used? A lousy brand cement?

If he is an experienced contractor, he should have encountered such issue previously. Hold on to the payment & tell him to find a solution for you.

I also having problem with the grout line. Black even before handover.. Last saturday me scrub like mad for all grout line but still black but my ID quite good, he will be asking someone to come up and wash the line for me :)

TIPS for all,

If u r using homogenous or ceramic flooring, its better for u to use "colored cement" to do the grouting (uniform color as ur tiles)... Reason is some tiles tends to lose its base color when touches water (water or vapours from cement beneadth)... Therefore the grouting might got dyed...

"colored cement" = white cement + water + colored powder

Even the wall tiles grouting will also turn out bad...

For white wall tiles, before u confirm choosing, try asking the supplier abt it...

(Bcos some white ceramic wall tiles tends to dye the grout, as wall tiles r being soaked in water b4 laying)

i kana once b4... In the end, my owner n me lose some money to redo the grouting by asking 4 ah neh's

to dig the old ugly grout(3 days), left the wall tiles to be totally dried up(abt 2 weeks) then re-grout again...

:(:(:(

Edited by de_Pierre

Coloured cement on grouting seems to be a good idea.

I wonder would ID/contractor charge more for this or not? :unsure:

Imagine a wall of plain white tiles with black grouting, very nice.

wat if my homo all white?

then the white grouting will remain

but after some months turn black

by that time cant make my contractor do liao

If the black grouting is evenly spread out, then just leave it lah, so artistic look :lol:

Is it? Got coloured grouting? I never seen before or heard before. Where to find it? White tiles and black grouts certainly look great. Red is even better. I am half way through regrouting my old kitchen floor tiles (but white).

Is it? Got coloured grouting? I never seen before or heard before. Where to find it? White tiles and black grouts certainly look great. Red is even better. I am half way through regrouting my old kitchen floor tiles (but white).

Its the same material for grouting, jus purely add some colored powder only... All tilers should know wad is it... 1 packet is enuf for whole hse groutings which cost merely less than $10... Colors is constraint but if ur tilers is **** hardworking, u can get any color u wan.... I doubt the tilers got time to do for u FOC... ^^

wat if my homo all white?

then the white grouting will remain

but after some months turn black

by that time cant make my contractor do liao

In the market, theres a type of chemical which leaves a thin layer of lacquer to protect the grouting/ cement... Its abit costly but it can protect the grouting/cement from being stained... at least 90% useful...

Coloured cement on grouting seems to be a good idea.

I wonder would ID/contractor charge more for this or not? :unsure:

Imagine a wall of plain white tiles with black grouting, very nice.

F.Y.I.

No contractors will charge anything less than $10 unless there's some hard feelings during the reno...

wads tad $10 compare to the big sum of reno done? jus go ahead n ask for it... ^^

In the market, theres a type of chemical which leaves a thin layer of lacquer to protect the grouting/ cement... Its abit costly but it can protect the grouting/cement from being stained... at least 90% useful...

Hi, what is the name of this chemical & where to buy?

Can I use it in my shower area? I have to brush my bathroom flooring every fornight to maintain the cleanliness, so tiring.

Hi, what is the name of this chemical & where to buy?

Can I use it in my shower area? I have to brush my bathroom flooring every fornight to maintain the cleanliness, so tiring.

My tiler is bery naughty, say tis is his "tan chiat" selling point... dun wan disclose to me... :furious:

He also mention can apply to wet areas to act as water proofing membrane... so sickening... :(

My apologies...

(i seen he did the application, i suspect its "water based lacquer", which leaves on fine thin layer of lacquer w/o any texture)

If got chance, i sure take some of his liquid n compare wif the water based lacquer.... ^^

Edited by de_Pierre