Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
KayLan

How To Drill Tiles

Hi,

I was trying to drill tiles on my toilet with mixed success. I chipped the place with a hammer so that drill does not slip all around. I used the hammer mode of my BD drill. I used the masonry drill bits. I used a BD510 drill.

The problem I am facing is, in some cases the drilling is smooth but in some cases it does not move after the initial mark. The drill bits becoming red hot and get spoiled. I spoiled 3 bits to drill around 6 holes. I have miles to go, I mean many holes to drill to fix up my IKEA LACK shelves.

Can you please advice what went wrong? I tried with metal bits but even worse.

Your suggestion is highly appreciated

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi,

I was trying to drill tiles on my toilet with mixed success. I chipped the place with a hammer so that drill does not slip all around. I used the hammer mode of my BD drill. I used the masonry drill bits. I used a BD510 drill.

The problem I am facing is, in some cases the drilling is smooth but in some cases it does not move after the initial mark. The drill bits becoming red hot and get spoiled. I spoiled 3 bits to drill around 6 holes. I have miles to go, I mean many holes to drill to fix up my IKEA LACK shelves.

Alo alo...

There are two common drill bits recommended for drilling into tile.

Carbide-tipped masonry drill bits are probably the most widely known for drilling into tile. They are designed for drilling into rock-hard surfaces, and with patience and care can be used effectively for drilling through tile without causing the tile to break.

Diamond-tipped drill bits are even more durable and are recommended by many for drilling through hard tile surfaces. Diamond-tipped drill bits are best for drilling very hard types of tile; they may be more expensive, but they will not burn out as easily as masonry bits

Here's a few "tricks of the trade" you can employ !!

One way to get a drill bit started into tile is to make an X over the tile in the spot to be drilled using masking tape. Be sure to measure again after applying the masking tape so the drilled hole is not misplaced, then start your drill bit into the tape. The tape gives the bit surface traction.

Scratching an X into the tile at the point of drilling works in a similar fashion, providing enough of a place for the bit to grip without skittering around the tile. Be careful not to scratch into an area that will be visible and leave unsightly marks on your tile.

A reusable way to keep the drill bit in place and keep from having to continuously apply tape is to notch out a small area from a block of wood. Hold the "keeper" in place over the drill hole with your free hand.

Boring through. Once the bit is started, the rest is a matter of patiently boring through the tile with the drill until you break through. Hard tiles can take some time drilling.

Start drilling slowly, on low speed. Gradually increase the speed as appropriate, but understand that drilling tile is not a question of speed, but rather persistence. Apply constant firm pressure, but not too hard or you will break through the tile rather than drilling into it.

The tip of the drill bit should be kept lubricated to avoid overheating the bit and burning it out by wearing it down or breaking. Water is the safest way to lubricate and cool the drill bit as you go. Devise a hose system delivering a constant trickle of water over the bit, or spray as you go with water. An extra set of hands is useful; if you are on your own, pause periodically to spray the drill bit (tip area only). Of course, use common sense and never spray water into or directly on the motorized portion of the drill.

Getting boring, lubrication, speed, and pressure right takes some practice. For best results, start slow and prepare to take your time, gently increasing speed and pressure as needed.

Good luck ~~ :D:D

Hi,

Me think.. yr tile is homogeneous?

Some good quality homogeneous tile.. is as hard as granite, and thus need to use those rock drill bits, meant for granite. I encountered the same issue last time.

The normal masonary drill bit is hopeless with such tiles. Need to use those drill bit meant for rock, and it's suppose to be used at slow speed, with water coolant, and also patience. Still.. this will take a lot of time and patience, and tons of drill bit. Take note.. when the tip gets too hot, it loses it's sharpness, so need to dip in a cup of water often. And.. these granite drill bit is not meant for hammer mode!

Thank you all.

I understood my blunder when I visited a selffix shop yesterday evening as I was wondering what went wrong. I found there is a separate drill bits for tiles. The black one looks like an arrow. Not sure whether a carbide or diamond.... I guess carbide!!

Thanks clockwork for your generous tips.... I think I will be able to do it right this time. I will try on Saturday and will update you how it goes ..)

Thank you all.

I understood my blunder when I visited a selffix shop yesterday evening as I was wondering what went wrong. I found there is a separate drill bits for tiles. The black one looks like an arrow. Not sure whether a carbide or diamond.... I guess carbide!!

Thanks clockwork for your generous tips.... I think I will be able to do it right this time. I will try on Saturday and will update you how it goes ..)

YES, that arrow head bit is for tiles, i used that oso, v. effective...

BUT do not set ur drill to hammer mode, normal drill mode will do & enter slowly else u going to blast ur bit & the tiles, after it penetrate thru the tile layer, u need to use normal mansory bit to drill in-thru the rest of the wall. the arrow head bit is abit frigile, not suitable for concrete, only tiles

Much better with Carbide tips but still we have some real tough concrete. Carbide tips can penetrate those solid concretes but speed is too slow... I believe and agree with all, patience is the KEY!!

Thanks everyone for you help and tips.

Cheers!!

KayLan