Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kyarx

Sand Quotation

Is it too expensive to pay $900 just for sand??? Called HDB and informed that they no longer provide the service and referred us back to our contractor. : :bangwall:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

$900 is very exp. I paid $250 to my contractor in Feb.

Maybe your house is very big, need so much sand?! Mine is a 3-room flat.

Oh no...think my contrator chop my carrot. :( Mine flat is just 5rm, need the sand for just living rm and kitchen only.

Anyone knows where can I get sand direct? :unsure:

Oh no...think my contrator chop my carrot. :( Mine flat is just 5rm, need the sand for just living rm and kitchen only.

Anyone knows where can I get sand direct? :unsure:

y do u need to buy sand on ur own?

Hi You signed the contract with the contractor? Die die must go with him?

U can get sand from Tiong Soon Timber at Blk 20 Ang Mo Kio Techlink.

I think u got to arrange for transportation, unloading the sand to your unit and disposing of excess sand.

Mine was just for kitchen only.

Not easy to buy your own sand leh, transport, manpower, disposal... how do you estimate how much you need? Why not tell your contractor that $900 is too much & bargain with him further??

Do u mean tad 900 is purely for buying sand only?

Did he charge u for haulage services, clearing of reno debris or general services etc?

(If he din charge u for these, 900 is cheap)

Sand is used **** n kitchen flooring only?

Urs is a new or resale flat?

U need to consider these before saying kena chop carrot ar.... ^^

Edited by de_Pierre

Spoke to my contractor and he confidently insists that he only earned $100 from this...on the other hand, he did mention something like the workers will help to clear debris so guess I just have to go along with it. zzz

Spoke to my contractor and he confidently insists that he only earned $100 from this...on the other hand, he did mention something like the workers will help to clear debris so guess I just have to go along with it. zzz

Hi, yes I think hack + clear debris + sand usually from the same person.

My reno is in progress and i am engaging sub-contractors to do reno. They do not charged me for sand & clear debris but I think just because they never break down all the cost in details.

I paid 2.8k for : Hack whole house including all tiles, cabinets (wardrobes, shoe cabinets, tv console kitchen cabinets), store room walls, wall between MBR & betroom 3, remove WC, bath tub, doors + clear debris, haulage, sand. :)

I noticed some ID firms charged debris & haulage alone for ~ 1k

Edited by lakaik

I've came across some ID that ask for $900 for sand too a year ago... + they still charge around the same for haulage... They say until like everyone is charging the same... Later when I ask around other IDs for quote, they didn't ask for the $900 for sand.... So I think its a scam to ask for such high price for sand... seems like cost as much as cement (I don't know how much is cement, just guessing)... so don't make sense...

Edited by Brainstorm

Let me make u guys enlighten for tis matter...

Actually in general terms in construction line in HDB flats, price of 'Sand' is actually consist of haulage, meaning to uplifting of all building materials (sand, packs of cement in 20/50kgs, tiles, etc... Basically materials for masonry works) Of cos the cost to purchase of sand is aldy being accounted for... These works r actually being carried out by a single sub-con. These odd job labourers' scope of work is to buy sand, uplift building materials for masonry n clear all reno debris... They r selling their manpower services (banglahs mainly). As usual practices, quotes from them forwarded to IDs or contractors r in lump sum. (Hacking of items is different money issues)

When quotes r being delivered to end users by IDs or contractors, some of them break down these prices into smaller parts. Compare to big lump sum, by breaking down these 'sand items', the quotes appeared to be nicer, cheaper... Tis is wad we call sales tatics... Although they charge seperately, but its the same team of general workers doing the job...

Bear in mind, consider abt the whole proceedure n items quoted in all, rather than itemised comparision...

Tis applies to other pricings in reno quotes...

e.g. 1st ID quote items A$111 + B$222 + C$333 + D$222 = $888

2nd ID quote items A$130 + B$200 + C$350 + D$208 = $888

Which is cheaper leh?

The cheapest is to get all the items in lowest price of $888... Compare the whole amount with every single items in...

(sry for being loh soh here, just trying to be more detail)

Edited by de_Pierre

Let me make u guys enlighten for tis matter...

Actually in general terms in construction line in HDB flats, price of 'Sand' is actually consist of haulage, meaning to uplifting of all building materials (sand, packs of cement in 20/50kgs, tiles, etc... Basically materials for masonry works) Of cos the cost to purchase of sand is aldy being accounted for... These works r actually being carried out by a single sub-con. These odd job labourers' scope of work is to buy sand, uplift building materials for masonry n clear all reno debris... They r selling their manpower services (banglahs mainly). As usual practices, quotes from them forwarded to IDs or contractors r in lump sum. (Hacking of items is different money issues)

When quotes r being delivered to end users by IDs or contractors, some of them break down these prices into smaller parts. Compare to big lump sum, by breaking down these 'sand items', the quotes appeared to be nicer, cheaper... Tis is wad we call sales tatics... Although they charge seperately, but its the same team of general workers doing the job...

Bear in mind, consider abt the whole proceedure n items quoted in all, rather than itemised comparision...

Tis applies to other pricings in reno quotes...

e.g. 1st ID quote items A$111 + B$222 + C$333 + D$222 = $888

2nd ID quote items A$130 + B$200 + C$350 + D$208 = $888

Which is cheaper leh?

The cheapest is to get all the items in lowest price of $888... Compare the whole amount with every single items in...

(sry for being loh soh here, just trying to be more detail)

Thanks for clarifying! Much clearer picture now. I just felt some form of regulation are badly needed in this industry at the moment. There's no way an average consumer could avoid being overwhelmed by all these "things" happening.