Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kyarx

Our Very Own Home

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Another week delayed due to hacking. Our ID confirmed that we need a PE for the permit. Managed to find a PE (Chuang Fern) who worked on one of our neighboors for $400. But later heard from a friend that she could source an even cheaper one at $250! :curse:

After changing our minds so many times, We finally hacked parts of the room walls to make room for our wardrobes and make a new door opening. The old opening will be sealed up.

t_IMG4201m_8513888.jpg

t_IMG4198m_ada10d7.jpg

We head out looking for a electrician as our ID insisted on working from the false ceiling first.. It does seems cleaner in this way but squeezed us to urgently look for an electrician and issues with our aircon trucking. We opted not to use my ID electrician as there may be middleman fee.

We found 2 electricians. My ex-contractor colleague recommended her electrician, Ah Meng while my SIW recommended hers, Ah Guan. We eventually shortlisted Ah Meng as he is the best pricing wise and he sounded really experienced. :deal:

Some of the items we did. (I researched in the forum and found the pricing quite good IMO).

Lighting pt $28

Install light $10

Power pt (13Ax2) $55

TEL pt $40

20A switch for Hood $50

Relocate Power pt $45

Relocate Heater pt $45

Relocate switch $30

He was also able to provide the pricing right away compared to the other electrician. Here's his picture doing the calculation. :notti:

t_IMG4216m_2cacb75.jpg

Here are pictures of his excellect workmanship.

t_IMG4335m_c2654be.jpg

Speakers wires nicely sticked up and all wires labelled clearly. The lighting pts are drawn on the ceiling first to give us the feel which helped alot. The wires are also tubed nicely before the false ceiling went up.

t_IMG4327m_c60bf3e.jpg

Ah Meng's Pro- Tries to save cost for us(e.g. reduce lighting pt, unneccessary power pt relocation). Good workmanship(even my ID commended him). Responsible (called me beforehand to change appt date). Very good pricing. Easy going character.

The Cons- He prefers to work alone as he find it quite disruptive to have other contractors around. Quite true as he needs to switch off all power while fixing the wires.

Those who are keen, can PM me for his contacts. Highly recommended IMO. :good:

Our tiles and sand finally arrived. :dancingqueen:

t_IMG4339m_5083231.jpg

t_IMG4338m_7a5a8c8.jpg

Window ledge boxed up . Workmanship looks fine.

t_IMG4332m_4dfb38d.jpg

Edited by kyarx

The aircon trucking run thru quite obstructively across our new opening, the beam is really the bane of all HDB owners. On top of that ugly trucking, my contractor punch a hole thru it while removing steels..zzz now got to check and worry if they hit the piping. :furious:

t_Clipm_cb5866b.jpg

spam chop :dancingqueen:

wonder how you ran your aircon trunking, given your BR2 is on the other side :dunno:

Actually I didn't coz not intending to aircon that room... trying to cost cut every corners now that we have busted budget. :dunno:

hehehe i see

but hor, this kind of thing better do now

things that require hacking or empty-space is best done during the first reno

other stuff like carpentry still can add on when budget allows :notti:

Congrats on your new home! Hmmz, I think you got a 5-rm flat (unit no.#344) at Blk 89 right?? I am at the same block as you, staying at the OTHER 5-rm flat (unit no.#356).

Come join our thread and also meetups! =)

Edited by zirhk3355

Congrats on your new home! Hmmz, I think you got a 5-rm flat (unit no.#344) at Blk 89 right?? I am at the same block as you, staying at the OTHER 5-rm flat (unit no.#356).

Come join our thread and also meetups! =)

Actually it's #350...keke

Sure, should be able to move in before X'mas...JIT for parties and meetups :good:

wow..my eyes open big big at ur big living room. so envy :jawdrop:

Yeah I luv it on first sight too! We were really bowled over by the view. Hopefully we be able to decor it nicely else injustice to it lor. :P

hehehe i see

but hor, this kind of thing better do now

things that require hacking or empty-space is best done during the first reno

other stuff like carpentry still can add on when budget allows :notti:

Plan B is for that "guardroom" to have a portable aircon lor, but really hate to see more trucking running ard and spoiling the ceiling..zzz

Edited by kyarx

:dribble::dribble::dribble:

my dream location!!!! U R so lucky leh!!!

but hor, come to think of it. me can't afford lah, even the HDB price oso too ex for me liao :(

Congrat on ur new place! really such good place to start ur family :)

Actually it's #350...keke

Sure, should be able to move in before X'mas...JIT for parties and meetups :good:

Oh ya, sorry I blur. I was hoping to get the unit no #35-350 (my lucky number!! See my nick! Haha...) but my wife liked the other layout better, so...you know, the woman always win...sighz.

Hope to meet up with you soon! :dancingqueen:

Latest update on the aircon trucking screwup. :curse:

The workers managed to punch a hole thru the trucking casing and torn the insulation! Luckily the copper pipe only scratched... Call Gaincity and they seems to think nothing serious of the problem...then why did we paid $150 to upgrade to armaflex insulation when the salesperson said its better protection against condensation? :furious:

My contractor offered to patched it up using duct tape and silicon..wonder if it will help at all? Any comments? Will the tear causes leaks? Really regret taking the contractor advise to install aircon first although they did offer to fix any problem if the tear does leak...

t_IMG4350m_3388049.jpg

t_IMG4355m_23cbd66.jpg

Updates---Previous entrance walled up!

t_IMG4361m_aa38a5c.jpg

Storeroom tiled

t_IMG4366m_0734949.jpg

The tiler...or the baker...haha

t_IMG4364m_a01f352.jpg

Edited by kyarx

We discovered some tile edges were quite "cutting" on our feet. Initially the workman supervisor was very reluntant to change it but finally agreed to change 3 tiles after a long debate. :curse:

t_IMG4471m_efff94e.jpg

More defects! Look at what the tiler did quietly for entrance...owned up that the HDB tiles were damaged and they had to cover it this way. Compained and the supervisor promise will fix it... 8|

t_IMG4478m_d118da3.jpg

Another defect! :furious:

Noticed that the opening for the false ceiling are done wrongly. The opening are bigger on the left and got smaller towards the right. Same problem at the living room and kitchen false ceiling too... :curse: Again that supervisor insisted its because HDB never made the ceiling surface flat in the first place! What?!

Thankfully, one of his subcon interrupted our argument out of fairness. Commented that the previous worker had not measure the levelness and should have started building from the opening first. That immediately shut his mouth! 8| In the end, the subcon even helped to file the uneven openings and now its at least less obvious.

t_IMG4489m_94f2c62.jpg

Building my TV feature wall. The guy on the right is the subcon that spoke up against that lousy supervisor. :good:

t_IMG4485m_e78e92c.jpg

Floor tiles up but haven't got a chance to check it carefully...

t_IMG4456m_c276728.jpg

The tiler who cocked up the entrance :curse:

t_IMG4462m_30948d8.jpg

Another problem with the mosaic. It's such a beautiful tile but look at the lousy gouting done! You see see pock marks and holes all over. zzz

t_IMG4453m_8bbdbdf.jpg

Our Citygas heater. Only thing that seems to look fine...

t_IMG4448m_27f6feb.jpg

Edited by kyarx