Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Red

Ikea Furniture Ok Ah?

Mrs is looking at buying a fair amount of stuff from Ikea, anyone has any experience in their furnitures i.e. bed and mattress, sofas?

Much appreciate your feedback.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

You have to judge for yourself in its quality; I had a set of drawers where the bottom gave way when its only half-filled with folded t-shirts, but I am still using a DIY L-shaped table since 2000. Both from Ikea.

Ikea tend to use alot of lousy chipboard for its cheaper furniture (obviously for low cost), so avoid those. They tend to bend/warp easily after awhile...

Same experience as zirhk3355 on their chest of drawers. The bottom gave way. But I've been using their wardrobe, sofa, bookcase and glass desk for abt 4yrs, so far still ok. They are not fantastic in terms of quality and finishes, but they'll do. :)

Chipboard = lousy quality, do avoid unless budget constraint.

Solid wood = better quality, choose this. More costly.

I bought their arm chair, coffee table, tv console, dinning set, chest cabinet, bookshelf n bedside table. All are solid wood, no problem so far.

Edited by yokine9a

Mrs is looking at buying a fair amount of stuff from Ikea, anyone has any experience in their furnitures i.e. bed and mattress, sofas?

i had dining table, tv console, coffee table, bed frame , walk-in wardrobe pole, clothes rack, ---- so far so gd.

I have bought 3 wardrobes from Ikea. As I was moving house, I disassemble the wardrobe and keep it in the warehouse. When I shifted to the new house and try to reassemble it again, the wardrobe was shaky. I called up ikea and was told that I have to pay 6% for the installation and a fix transport fee (I think is $30). As I paid 1000+ for the 3 wardrobes and it is still new, I told them I am willing to pay for it. However, I was told that since the wood is chipboard, they also cannot gurantee that after assemble, the wordrobe will not be shaky. The person answering my call even tell me that Ikea furniture cannot disassemble and assemble again. I am so angry :furious: No choice, I have to throw away the wardrobes.

Edited by tplittey

No!

for big furnitures, dun buy from Ikea. examples like cupboards, bed frames, sofas.....

for small furnitures like coffee table, small display stuff, kitchenwares, its ok to get from Ikea

I always avoid buying chipboard and compressed wood. Esp those drawers with chipboard or cupboard backing with chipboard. Sure confirm will warp...

I only got Gallant series study table and wall mount cabinets for my study room. Solid table top..

I hv one cabinet and its thin thin chipboard gave way already..a/w to be discard anytime..

What that IKEA guy said is true, you cannot assemble, disassemble & reassemble a chipboard furniture & still hope it will stand strong.

Not only IKEA furn, all chipboard furn are not strong enough to go thru this kind of multi-assemble process.

well, for solid wood furniture i won't go for ikea ones either

comparing with other shops, they are pretty expensive

e.g. bookcase, i'd rather get a scanteak one at $199 during their ever-lasting sale then the leksvik one which cost $200+ :yamseng:

What that IKEA guy said is true, you cannot assemble, disassemble & reassemble a chipboard furniture & still hope it will stand strong.

Not only IKEA furn, all chipboard furn are not strong enough to go thru this kind of multi-assemble process.

erm...not true leh....i didn't "assemble, disassemble & reassemble". And i only use it to store kids clothing like t-shirts and shorts...yet, the chipboard still gave way after less than 6 months

well, for solid wood furniture i won't go for ikea ones either

comparing with other shops, they are pretty expensive

e.g. bookcase, i'd rather get a scanteak one at $199 during their ever-lasting sale then the leksvik one which cost $200+ :yamseng:

Hi applefreak, maybe you would like to share with us the shop selling a scanteak bookcase at $199. Sounds like a good deal ;)

erm...not true leh....i didn't "assemble, disassemble & reassemble". And i only use it to store kids clothing like t-shirts and shorts...yet, the chipboard still gave way after less than 6 months

This one can't explain, got to 8| IKEA liao

IMO, IKEA things sure can buy and use 1.. their tables i had been using for at least 5 yrs.. those things that cannot be bot are metals(IKEA confirm rust cos kana before)... with those furniture drawers, handle oso cos their qualities not there...will break or wear off easily...

their storage, chairs and ledges all shld be fine...